View Poll Results: Supreme Court Justices

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be elected by the people

5 71.43%
  • Should be elected by the President (Republican or Democrat)

2 28.57%
    Racist Asshole ... I'm Banned! Professional Poster

Default U.S. Supreme Court Justices

Comment on why if you care to.

Supreme Court justices are not elected, nor should they be. period. They are appointed by the President, with the advice and consent of the Congress. Thats the way our forefather's engineered it and it has served us well for well over 200 years.

The Constitution spells it out
    Article III. - The Judicial Branch Section 1 - Judicial powers
    The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior

The independent judicial system with its separation of powers, with checks and balances on the other branches is the fundamental foundation for our democracy. Its a tripod and if you weaken one leg, the entire thing falls.

If the Executive branch and the Legislative branch would take their oath of office to defend and support the constitution more faithfully, maybe we wouldn't need an independent judiciary. But the simple fact is, laws gets passed, and executive actions are taken every day that are knowingly unconstitutional.

If Judges were elected, they would no longer serve and protect the Constitution, or the interests of justice, but instead would toe party lines, and cowtow to capricious voters and special interests. They would be tranformed from a check on abuses of executive and legislative powers, to a rubber stamp for them. You can't balance powers, if everyone is on the same side of the scale.

FK

I think that just about covers it. Katt, please leave some room on the scratching post for the rest of us next time.

Just imagine if judges were elected by the people. Some douchebag campaigning: "If elected, I will remove provisions of the constitution that keep us from making church mandatory. Hallelujah!"

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    Supreme Court justices are not elected, nor should they be. period. They are appointed by the President, with the advice and consent of the Congress. Thats the way our forefather's engineered it and it has served us well for well over 200 years.

The Constitution spells it out
    Article III. - The Judicial Branch Section 1 - Judicial powers
    The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior

The independent judicial system with its separation of powers, with checks and balances on the other branches is the fundamental foundation for our democracy. Its a tripod and if you weaken one leg, the entire thing falls.

If the Executive branch and the Legislative branch would take their oath of office to defend and support the constitution more faithfully, maybe we wouldn't need an independent judiciary. But the simple fact is, laws gets passed, and executive actions are taken every day that are knowingly unconstitutional.

If Judges were elected, they would no longer serve and protect the Constitution, or the interests of justice, but instead would toe party lines, and cowtow to capricious voters and special interests. They would be tranformed from a check on abuses of executive and legislative powers, to a rubber stamp for them. You can't balance powers, if everyone is on the same side of the scale.

FK
    Wow! I think I'm in love.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Gold Poster

The People should or you would have rednecks who appoint rednecks like alito.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    The People should or you would have rednecks who appoint rednecks like alito.
    do you read before you post? maybe you should check out FK's post and rethink your logic...

Racist Asshole ... I'm Banned! Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by The American Nightmare
    I think that just about covers it. Katt, please leave some room on the scratching post for the rest of us next time.

Just imagine if judges were elected by the people. Some douchebag campaigning: "If elected, I will remove provisions of the constitution that keep us from making church mandatory. Hallelujah!"
    I agree. Judicial appointments are not ideal, but it does insulate the court from being populated with justices that are the result of the whims of popular opinion and politics.