Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: what is the most viscous species on earth

Lions are vicious (disposed to violent and destructive food gathering behaviors), but not necessarily intentionally cruel. Ripping the flesh off a living Zebra and eating it before its very eyes is simply sitting down to diner. Still, the lion has intent. It intends to run down, capture and eat its prey. I don't doubt that lions are determined. I do doubt, however, that lions intend to be vicious. Viciousness and cruelty are in the minds of the beholder (and maybe the victim who also beholds). Ebola viruses are pernicious little buggers whose sole desire (in the mind of the beholder) is to divert another organism's cellular machinery toward the reproduction of more Ebola viruses and melt the victim's flesh down into a bloody puddle of meaty goo. That's vicious. And it's also viscous.

Last edited by trish; 01-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by russtafa View Post
    besides man
    OK - If you insist. One of these ... The most unpredictable creature in Africa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hippo.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	443485  

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Lions are vicious (disposed to violent and destructive food gathering behaviors), but not necessarily intentionally cruel. Ripping the flesh off a living Zebra and eating it before its very eyes is simply sitting down to diner. Still, the lion has intent. It intends to run down, capture and eat its prey. I don't doubt that lions are determined. I do doubt, however, that lions intend to be vicious. Viciousness and cruelty are in the minds of the beholder (and maybe the victim who also beholds). Ebola viruses are pernicious little buggers whose sole desire (in the mind of the beholder) is to divert another organism's cellular machinery toward the reproduction of more Ebola viruses and melt the victim's flesh down into a bloody puddle of meaty goo. That's vicious. And it's also viscous.
    Viruses can not be assigned emotions. They are the supreme example of evolutionary perfection - survival of the genotype. The Ebola virus is not the most effective in this - there are others.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Hey, if Disney can assign emotions to a teapot, I can assign emotions to a virus!
    (Hi martin )

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Junior Poster Tina Francis's Avatar

...that amazon tranny on the other thread that kicked the li'l white boy's ass in the subway tunnel...the army should have a battalion of those, and sic'em on the Taliban...

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Certainly ends up viscous. But it's intent (if an organism with no consciusness or central nervous system can have intent) is simply, as you say, to reproduce.
    "I ooze, therefore I am" Rene (Ebola) Descartes

A hippo is not vicious - just mean

The honey bagder, it just doesn't give a shit.

5 Star Poster

a salt water Croc is vicious ,it eats its own kind it attacks it's own kind and any thing else around.when it attacks it goes into a death roll which tries to break the victims back and then it deposits the prey in an under ground burrow either alive or dead to eat later

live with honour