Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Music To Feed The Brain.....

Growing up music was my outlet from the real world and surroundings. I used music to escape from things such as harrassment etc. Music has become something I have carried like baggage almost music can tweak so many different emotions.....anger...sadness...happiness....etc... ..I can listen to a song and remember where I was what I was feeling etc, and this is what I mean by baggage.....Doesnt have to mean something bad......I have decided to start this thread to find out many types of styles of music that have you escape or maybe even made you realize things or your life or made you feel something for that matter.

My first was Madonna blah blah blah sterotypes blah blah blah who gives? lol Well I was influenced by the controversey surrounding Madonna she was so sexual and so public with it. This was at the height of her controversey with her album "Erotica", and her book "Sex". I was never in so awe by someone she just oozed sex. I was not attracted to her but more attracted to the thought of being her. I never really appreciated her as a person fully until recently. She was so fake and so caught up in the media cycle that she really wasnt all to real for the most post in interviews. It was like she was playing into what everyone expected of her. I was so inspired by her boldness and the controversey surrounding her but never really found what really laid beneath that. I have since found more appreciation for her in her words. SHe has become so spiritual and so giveing as a person that it is so influential in many regards. I remember watching her last documentary and I cried cause of how real she was in it it was so refreshing to see someone using their status for good. I would say that she would be a good example of a good mother. In the documentary her children were so beautiful and very much real also. Her daughter seems so intellegent. Lourdes was speaking of how she went to a childrens ward of a hospital to read her mothers book to the sick children there and it was so breathtaking to hear such things comeing from a little girls mouth.

In my teens I got into heavier music like Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznors words are so expressive and leave u thinking....He is a beautiful poet. I have never come across anyone like Trent Reznor. In my teens I listened to angry music as a way to kind of cope with the anger that I felt inside. I kinda didnt have many friends and like I said above used this as an outlet. When I started really getting into Madonna along came the labels like being gay etc, because majority of male Madonna fans are homosexuals. If they could only see me now lol.....Speaking of witch off topic as I am sure alot of you know I do live cam shows on Gia's, Allanah's, and Tasha Jone's web sites. Well a girl I went to elementary school with and her husband live across the street from me directly. So its Friday night and I am doing my cam show and I have a bay window and my bed is right there and all the lights are on well I didnt know how well you could see through my window and her husband saw me doing my thing and informed me I should get better blinds for my bedroom upstairs......Fabulous......

But anyways as you can probably tell music has been a huge influence of who and what I am today may it be style or oppinion etc.....I was just curious to hear about music that have influenced you. I will leave you with lyrics to one of my favorite songs.

The Day The World Went Away

Trent Reznor:

I'd listen to the words he'd say
    In his voice I heard decay
    The plastic face forced to portray
    All the insides left cold and gray
    There is a place that still remains
    It eats the fear, it eats the pain
    The sweetest price he'll have to pay
    The day the whole world went away

Lots Of Love

Lexi

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    I understand what you mean by baggage, but I would just call it your "history". But, yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean.
    How about "Designer Luggage"?

I used to play The Who's Tommy or Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water whenever I was depressed (Which was =a lot=). Then I had phases of rock, pop, country (Eeeewww), and inevitably came back to classical (To calm my wired nerves).

I attach a lot of vivid memories to songs/music that was playing at the time of various life events. A soundtrack, if you will.

A friend of mine used to say that life would be so much better with the right background music.

I can totally identify with viewing music as a major force in your life. At every stage in my development, music - and the emotional states that it has inspired - has played an important role in helping me grow as a person. It's funny, here in NYC, many of my business associates and friends see therapists to help them work through their various emotional issues (most of which are really quite silly). I always tell them to get some good music; it's less expensive and far more effective than any therapist.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    It's funny, here in NYC, many of my business associates and friends see therapists to help them work through their various emotional issues (most of which are really quite silly). I always tell them to get some good music, it's less expensive and far more effective than any therapist.
    Most excellent advice, Quinn. Many of my friends have suggested I do the therapy thing, never cluing in to the fact that such would be akin to painting the car instead of fixing the potholes. Since the outside sources of distress are hard to repair or avoid, it comes down to developing ways to deal with the resultant stresses.

A warm bath, a cold brew, and some Copeland, Mozart, Bizze (Sp?), Shostakovich, or even The Who, Madonna, Two Nice Girls, or Wierd Al Yenkovich (Franky, even!), can unravel a lot of serious angst in a very short time. Of late, I've taken quite a shine to the soundtrack work of Thomas Newman (American Beauty, Pay It Forward, Series of Unfortunate Events) and "Snuffy" Walden (Early Edition, West Wing). Sure, it's not a dance mix, but it can conjer up strong images in the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Many of my friends have suggested I do the therapy thing, never cluing in to the fact that such would be akin to painting the car instead of fixing the potholes. Since the outside sources of distress are hard to repair or avoid, it comes down to developing ways to deal with the resultant stresses.
    LOL. That's a great analogy, Bearded.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    Speaking of the Who, I had a different experience in my teens w/ "Live at Leeds", which was a pretty angry time for me. That album put me in the mood to break alot of stuff when I was 16.
    I have a violent temper, when provoked, and can surely relate to such things/moods. In my youth, I just played the stuff really =LOUD=.

Rookie Poster

Talking about music can be so tedious, lol. I'm not even sure what it is I like (or don't like) anymore, but I try to dip my toes in all genres and just appreciate what I can. Been listening to Etta James, Sufjan Stevens, Tori Amos, and Stereolab (to name a couple) lately, but what I listen to changes on a daily basis.

I encourage anyone to chat with me on yahoo messanger and if you'd be so kind, buy me an iPod while you're at it

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleTS
    I encourage anyone to chat with me on yahoo messanger and if you'd be so kind, buy me an iPod while you're at it
    I can do the one (When I'm awake and sober) and we can discuss the other on my next foray to CT.

Junior Poster

Talking about music can be so tedious
    Well thank you so much for shitting on my thread..........

Classy.........

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sexxxylexi
    Talking about music can be so tedious
    Well thank you so much for shitting on my thread..........

Classy.........
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it and thought I was being playful (hence the "lol" immediatly after the first thing you quoted of me). I meant it was "tedious" because there's soooo much out there and so much to talk about that I'm not even sure where I'd want to begin. Second thing was obviously a joke as well (you make a similiar one on your website I notice). Hope you understand, a music convo with you would be nice sometime.