Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Default Re: When did the GOP lose touch with Reality?

I hope to God you are right. The Christian Far Right scare the shit out me if they ever get real power.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassCat View Post
    I think there are important cultural and political differences between the two groups that would prevent christian conservatives from reaching those depths. Firstly, America places great value on the principles of equality, democracy, and freedom of speech and religion at least in the abstract if not always in the particular. Even with a Rick Santorum presidency and a quiescent Congress these cultural values would prevent a full on regression to the dark ages. You would find increasing restrictions on the reproductive rights of women and a lot more government money going to Christian organizations but not a complete mirror image of a Muslim theocracy.

The other important arresting factor is that the people who fund the GOP and its candidates are the 1%, and they could give two shits about social conservatism. They find it useful to get the Christian conservatives to vote for the moneyed interests in the name of Jesus, but in name only. If these candidates ever starting threatening the bottom line (for example by actually trying to carry out what Jesus said) their corporate masters would quickly find new tribunes with the appropriate interpretation of the gospels.

While America is increasingly becoming an oligarchy, I don't see theocracy as a possibility.

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I would agree with bluegrasscat that a theocracy in the US is not really likely - but a deeply conservative and repressive government really is possible. You've only got to recall the worst excesses of the McCarthy era to see how these things can spiral out of control. There are ugly attitudes just below the surface on many issues in a large part of the population- an the people who gather in this forum, these boards, would certainly suffer if someone like Santorum became President.

And the hard won fight of the civil rights movement is still in living memory for most of us over the age of 40. That's a mere blip.

It matters not whether he's allowed to have the power or not. An attempt to create a theocracy will take years to straighten out in the courts. I'm not the least bit worried about the US becoming a theocracy. The trend has been in the opposite direction since the end of the Eisenmower administration. That trend has slowed, or even stopped, from time to time, depending on the virulence of the rhetoric. This is one of those times. The object of the God zanies is to reverse the trend, & while they're quoting the Bible or talking shit about the Constitution, they're willing to tell any lie to reach that objective. Of course it must be everybody else who's practicing hypocracy. The whole world is marching out of step.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    I'm not the least bit worried about the US becoming a theocracy. The trend has been in the opposite direction since the end of the Eisenmower administration.
    I agree too. When the Church pushes, people feel freer now to push back. People change over time and through generations. Everyone has their chains to break.

Republicans Love Big Government (So Long as It Serves Big Business):

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/06/18-10

Senior Member Silver Poster

Republicans are searching for dirt, try washing your hair, Issa. PUNK! It's about time somebody slapped your face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darrell-issa.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	478824  

World Class Asshole