Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Is Adele the new Aretha?

I know some of you old cats will consider this blasphemy but is Adele the new Aretha? Her command of her vocals, the perfect pitch/ tone, the soulfulness of her spirit, the unseen naughty side, (like Aretha’s Dr. Feelgood, esp. her live version), I think a royal uprising is coming. And why does it seem the most soulful females are coming from Europe. Amy, Joss, Adele, Duffy, etc…

I think the one thing that has hurt American soul music is the quality of the voice, which I think is directly connected to not being church taught. I remember my gay church choir director always preaching “tone”. And ‘pitch”. And never calling out baritone or tenor parts, but actually telling us what note and/or key to sing in. I wished Mary J and Beyonce had church training. Listen to Chaka, Anita, Aretha, etc.. to see the difference.

Senior Member Professional Poster

Default Re: Is Adele the new Aretha?

Quote Originally Posted by buckjohnson View Post
    And why does it seem the most soulful females are coming from Europe. Amy, Joss, Adele, Duffy, etc…
    With those four as examples you could be a little more specific than Europe...

Veteran Poster

Command of vocals? Have you ever even heard her fucking singing? It sounds like some college broad doing a bad cover of Nina Simone. She's sloppy as fuck in her vocals which is really sad. It's not only sad that another fatty is making shit music, but also that her fucking producers didn't auto tune the shit out of her shitty voice.

And do not ever compare adele to Amy Winehouse. Amy (a true musician) had talent, all fatty has is pipes with little to no control.

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Veteran Poster

Calling an artist "the new...." whoever is a real pet peeve of mine. Enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. You end up inadvertently taking something away from both individuals when you make comparisons like that, no matter how flattering you may think comparing Adele to Aretha is, or Dylan/Springsteen, or who ever. Both deserve to be appreciated as individuals. OK, rant over.

Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less.—Norman Mailer

The Voluptuous Diva 5 Star Poster TSMichelleAustin's Avatar

Im not a fan of Aretha I prefer Patty over her! But I think Adele is amazing!!!

enough with 'Someone Like You'. Commercial radio really knows how to kill a song with repetition. gotta get me sirius for the car.
    but she does have a great voice

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Love my XM Radio...and Pandora!

I'm a fan as well...although I actually prefer Duffy over her (Hanging On Too Long is one of my favorite tracks). And yes, despite her problems, Amy was (and will always be) in a class of her own. Joss is great as well, but she keeps changing her style.

ALL of the above are in my iPod and get rotation. They're not the next "whoever", they're the first "themselves".

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    Command of vocals? Have you ever even heard her fucking singing? It sounds like some college broad doing a bad cover of Nina Simone. She's sloppy as fuck in her vocals which is really sad. It's not only sad that another fatty is making shit music, but also that her fucking producers didn't auto tune the shit out of her shitty voice.

And do not ever compare adele to Amy Winehouse. Amy (a true musician) had talent, all fatty has is pipes with little to no control.
    I agree with the auto tune. It bothers me alot.

But I have seen Adele live. And I am not on board about Nina Simone. She gave inconsitant perfomances/

And while Amy was a true musician, she had problems at time with her voice and live sometimes she was a mess vocally as well as being unprofesssional.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Love my XM Radio...and Pandora!

I'm a fan as well...although I actually prefer Duffy over her (Hanging On Too Long is one of my favorite tracks). And yes, despite her problems, Amy was (and will always be) in a class of her own. Joss is great as well, but she keeps changing her style.

ALL of the above are in my iPod and get rotation. They're not the next "whoever", they're the first "themselves".
    I love pandora.

You are also right about being "themselves".

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by raybbaby View Post
    Calling an artist "the new...." whoever is a real pet peeve of mine. Enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. You end up inadvertently taking something away from both individuals when you make comparisons like that, no matter how flattering you may think comparing Adele to Aretha is, or Dylan/Springsteen, or who ever. Both deserve to be appreciated as individuals. OK, rant over.

I dont agree with you about comparing artists. Although it might buttonhole, it can also be illuminating.