Putting the "F-U" in fun! Professional Poster Bobby Domino's Avatar

Default 11/11/11 Is Nigel Tufnel Day

I found this random article on yahoo. Thought it I would share and bring light to a time-honored classic.

This Friday is Nov. 11, 2011 (aka 11/11/11). Or, to put it another way, it's Nigel Tufnel Day.
    Enthusiasts of loud (if not necessarily critically acclaimed) music know all about Tufnel. He's the fictional rocker from the semifictional band Spinal Tap who loves to turn his amps up to 11 when he needs that "extra push over the cliff." What better time to celebrate and salute the man and his technique than on 11/11/11?
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...185526454.html

So when you honor the past & living vets and those in service at your BBQs and what not, turn up your stereos!!!!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: 11/11/11 Is Nigel Tufnel Day

Except that the moral police in the UK now deem that Remembrance Sunday is not enough and expect us to stand still, and in silence, at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month of the year....for two minutes...which is about as much Spinal Tap as I could take anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Except that the moral police in the UK now deem that Remembrance Sunday is not enough and expect us to stand still, and in silence, at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month of the year....for two minutes...which is about as much Spinal Tap as I could take anyway.
    seems a bit fascist...

Senior Member Professional Poster mikelpo's Avatar

Didn't think 2 whole minutes was much of your precious life to give up for true heroes

11 is definitely louder!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CORVETTEDUDE View Post
    11 is definitely louder!!!
    definitely. here's another clip - good song, too - aptly named for some of the HA crowd "Big Bottoms"

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mikelpo View Post
    Didn't think 2 whole minutes was much of your precious life to give up for true heroes
    I lived for years and years without being asked to stand still on the 11th November, does that mean for all those years neither I nor anybody else cared? Relatives on one side of my family died in the Boer War, the First World War and the Second World War; I used to go to the War Memorial every Remembrance Sunday, so I did give up my time on the established day, a Sunday. I have stopped going since Iraq and believe that this campaign to characterise everyone in uniform as a 'hero' is absurd, and merely shows complete ignorance of what goes on in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes, there are situations in which heroic acts take place, but for the most part our service personnel are as wasted in Afghanistan as they were in Iraq, and for that matter the Somme. This is not about honour, it is a cheap stunt supported by morally bankrupt politicians desperate to justify spending trillions of dollars on a fool's errand.