Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Putting the "F-U" in fun! Professional Poster Bobby Domino's Avatar

Default One of the saddest headlines I've read

I'm not sure why I'm posting this article. I'm mostly a cynical, unemotional person, but there are times when a news story resonates in my soul. I guess the reason why I'm sharing is that maybe this article will heighten our sensibility towards our fellow surroundings.

In this forum - and in life - we may not agree with everybody on everything and at times, in our frustration, we project our annoyance onto others with nasty words. Hopefully this article will push us to be more compassionate towards each other. In the short amount of time I've been on this forum, I have come to be much more conscious of individual identity. Each of us sees the world with a different lens and to be able to discuss those views openly has been extremely educational. To my friends and to the rest of the members, I want to say thank you for humor, your honesty and your points of view.
    Hug, or simply smile at, someone today; you never know, they may need it.

Thanks & have a good one,
    -BD

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A 3-year-old girl comforted herself with her favorite toy and ate cheese, leftover lasagna and milk for two days after her mother died unexpectedly in their New Zealand home.
    The girl's uncle, Pete Silbery, told The Associated Press on Friday that Shylah Silbery managed to open the fridge and comfort herself with a teddy bear named "Possum" after Lauren Silbery, 28, died.
    The family last spoke to Lauren Silbery on Oct. 19, he said. Two days later, they were worried enough to call a friend who lived near her Wellington home. The friend could see the girl inside the home, but not the mother, prompting the family to call police, Pete Silbery said.
    Police coaxed Shylah to drag a coffee table to the door so she could reach the lock and unlock the door, before she told them, "Mummy won't wake up," Silbery said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45160396.../#.TrQGRWClCtF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new zealand girl survives-1459316588_v2.grid-4x2.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	431450

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Default Re: One of the saddest headlines I've read

Stop reading the newspapers. Sad shit like this will make you depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    Stop reading the newspapers. Sad shit like this will make you depressed.
    I think someone spiked my coffee with estrogen this morning, lol
    (shit, that was probably really inappropriate )

Senior Member 5 Star Poster EvonRose's Avatar

Omg, no one is cynical and unemotional, we are humans and we are emotional and compassionate by nature there are just some aspect of our lives that block or wont let us feel certain way trying to develope a hard shell surrounding us, but in reality were all soft in the inside...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It also suggests good parenting, if a 3-yr old knew enough to take food from the fridge and eat it. Some children are incapable even at a later age when the parents insist on doing everything. I once shared a house with some students, one of whom stuggled to use a toaster; he was 20 years old.

Probably a one-parent family, it is always hard to know but one hopes the experience will not damage the child, losing a mother is huge loss, at whatever age.

So, Bobby, you have a soul, a heart, and a brain, nothing to be ashamed of in these times!

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvonRose View Post
    Omg, no one is cynical and unemotional, we are humans and we are emotional and compassionate by nature there are just some aspect of our lives that block or wont let us feel certain way trying to develope a hard shell surrounding us, but in reality were all soft in the inside...
    Some of us are or at least can be, and some, like me, even revel in it. That said, after all the buildup I was sure I'd get through the OP without getting upset.

I didn't get past the first sentence. This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

... but it's not going to change anything. Humans fight, sometimes as a means of survival. Sadness only reminds us why we must.

~BB~

Quote Originally Posted by EvonRose View Post

You need heavy machinery to get underneath my exterior

or a pretty face

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    It also suggests good parenting, if a 3-yr old knew enough to take food from the fridge and eat it. Some children are incapable even at a later age when the parents insist on doing everything. I once shared a house with some students, one of whom stuggled to use a toaster; he was 20 years old.

Probably a one-parent family, it is always hard to know but one hopes the experience will not damage the child, losing a mother is huge loss, at whatever age.

So, Bobby, you have a soul, a heart, and a brain, nothing to be ashamed of in these times!

yeah, who needs Dorothy and her stupid wizard, lol

on a serious note, Stavros, I never thought about the mother's influence on the child's resourcefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    Some of us are or at least can be, and some, like me, even revel in it. That said, after all the buildup I was sure I'd get through the OP without getting upset.

I didn't get past the first sentence. This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

... but it's not going to change anything. Humans fight, sometimes as a means of survival. Sadness only reminds us why we must.

~BB~

I know you think it's icky but...

Senior Member Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Domino View Post
    I'm not sure why I'm posting this article. I'm mostly a cynical, unemotional person, but there are times when a news story resonates in my soul. I guess the reason why I'm sharing is that maybe this article will heighten our sensibility towards our fellow surroundings.

In this forum - and in life - we may not agree with everybody on everything and at times, in our frustration, we project our annoyance onto others with nasty words. Hopefully this article will push us to be more compassionate towards each other. In the short amount of time I've been on this forum, I have come to be much more conscious of individual identity. Each of us sees the world with a different lens and to be able to discuss those views openly has been extremely educational. To my friends and to the rest of the members, I want to say thank you for humor, your honesty and your points of view.
    Hug, or simply smile at, someone today; you never know, they may need it.

Thanks & have a good one,
    -BD

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A 3-year-old girl comforted herself with her favorite toy and ate cheese, leftover lasagna and milk for two days after her mother died unexpectedly in their New Zealand home.
    The girl's uncle, Pete Silbery, told The Associated Press on Friday that Shylah Silbery managed to open the fridge and comfort herself with a teddy bear named "Possum" after Lauren Silbery, 28, died.
    The family last spoke to Lauren Silbery on Oct. 19, he said. Two days later, they were worried enough to call a friend who lived near her Wellington home. The friend could see the girl inside the home, but not the mother, prompting the family to call police, Pete Silbery said.
    Police coaxed Shylah to drag a coffee table to the door so she could reach the lock and unlock the door, before she told them, "Mummy won't wake up," Silbery said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45160396.../#.TrQGRWClCtF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new zealand girl survives-1459316588_v2.grid-4x2.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	431450
    Not to take away from this tragedy,but Over 20,000 Africans die everyday from starvation.

I just saw this on the net...Is that not crazy, or what!!?? And, I'm very sad for that little girl....

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by doctor screw View Post
    Not to take away from this tragedy,but Over 20,000 Africans die everyday from starvation.
    So we should have this three year old go to Africa and show them how to open a fridge