Thread: Media sources

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Media sources

There is a huge and energetic political energy in this place - curious in a forum that is primarily about the pleasures and delights of transgendered girls.

I wondered if those who contribute regularly here bout politics would care to outline the primary media sources of their information on political issues.

Here are mine:
    The BBC - Radio 4
    The BBC - Newsnight
    Channel 4 news
    Guardian newspaper
    Independent newspaper
    International Herald Tribune
    Al Jazeera
    Atlantic Monthly
    New Yorker
    New York review
    The Economist
    Prospect magazine
    Channel Four news
    The New York Times
    New Statesman magazine
    A wide sweep of international news media accessed primarily through a site called Arts and letters daily
    Http://www.aldaily.com
    Eight daily news feeds to my gmail account

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Media sources

Newspapers
    New York Times
    Guardian
    (Used to read the Wall Street Journal but it’s gone to shit)

Magazines & Online Media
    Nature
    Atlantic
    Wired
    Slate
    Pharyngula (an indulgence)

Radio
    Morning Edition (NPR)
    All Things Considered (NPR)
    Tell Me More (NPR)

Television
    The News Hour (PBS)
    The Daily Show with John Stewart (an indulgence)

Other
    Whatever comes my way.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Pharyngula...sounds like a spooky medical instrument, I had to Google it to find out what it is.

Newspapers:
    Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, New York Times, BBC News Online (mostly for the football results), Financial Times at the weekend.

My intense interest in 'the news' is frequently dissipated by the poor quality of journalism, particularly in the UK. At its best, which isn't often, in-depth stories in the New York Times expose the emptiness of much UK journalism. Their reporting of the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 was outstanding, most of what I read in the UK was risible by comparison.

I stopped listening to the BBC's morning news show Today because of an incompetent, self-important oaf called James Naughtie, and stopped watching BBC's Newsnight because of Kirsty Wark and the increasingly jaded Jeremey Paxman -the problem with these journalists is that they think they are more important than the story. I returned from the Middle East once, in the 1990s, and there on tv was John Simpson reporting from the same country I had been in, one of his profound I have been a witness to major history moments: pompous, ludicrous, historically inaccurate, and all about the hugely important John Simpson. By contrast, the late Brian Hanrahan was noticeable for the absence of his ego and the intelligence of the content; I also admired Kate Adie, whom I once passed in Heathrow -I was on the way to Geneva, she was off to Ljubljana, it was the grim 90s again -she is much larger in real life, but vastly superior to the strident fool on Channel 4 News, Lyndsey Hilsum. I can no longer receive the tv signal in my eyrie, so all that is beyond me now; and I can watch the football as a podcast when my laptop lets me.

Many years ago, I had one of those daft jobs in Broadcasting House only the BBC could invent -it carried no serious responsibility but meant that I had to go to the Director General's Suite, the live broadcasting suites, the kitchens, the workshops, and the endless corridors of BH and its surrounding buildings on Portland Place, including the ramshackle offices of various programmes -and many of them looked like a bomb had hit them (except Radio 3 where there was a sepulchral silence and everything was neat and tidy and the boss's secretary had a passion for Monteverdi). In the old Langham building (now a swanky hotel, which it had been in the 1930s anyway) I used to encounter an elegant and glamorous woman in her 60s who was in some odd kind of 'career development' office where they tried to find extra jobs for newsreaders. She had her work cut out trying to get slots on comedy shows for Peter Woods; these days she would be placing newsreaders on Charity telethons, games shows, and of course Strictly Jerking; these days the kind of person who handles these egocentric journalistic nobodies in their desperate attempt to become the anchor for this or that programme; I don't know, and I don't care. History is made by the people, mostly unknown, not by the people who report it.

I try to keep up with the academic journals, too many to list.

5 Star Poster

RADIO 2gb Television The BOLT REPORT,news paper THE AUSTRALIAN

live with honour

The Guardian and Observer - I'm a long-term subscriber to both

Online newspapers - Glasgow Herald, New York Times, Suddeutsche Zeitung.

Magazines - New Statesman, History Today

TV and Radio - BBC Radio 4, BBC 5Live, BBC Newsnight, BBC4 World News, BBC World Service

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

And what thunder from the right... apart from Russtafa. Do our American republican pals watch read or listen to anything other than Fox? Please tell?

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by prospero View Post
    and what thunder from the right... Apart from russtafa. Do our american republican pals watch read or listen to anything other than fox? Please tell?
    i don't know if i am the kind of right that every one else is

live with honour

Well you are Australian for a start Russ - oh and really sorry to hear about your accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    And what thunder from the right... apart from Russtafa. Do our American republican pals watch read or listen to anything other than Fox? Please tell?
    http://www.heritage.org/

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Well you are Australian for a start Russ - oh and really sorry to hear about your accident.
    Thanks i don't like telling people about it i feel strange telling anyone. some times i have more in common with the American left than the right and other times it's the other way around

live with honour