Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Lemmy Was Right About Venom

Quote Originally Posted by hard4janira View Post
    Gotta weigh in here.... Venom is mostly bollocks. They were notoriously AWFUL musicians, especially in the early days. To say that they are better than Motorhead is blasphemy. Motorhead has a catalog of music that absolutely blows Venom into smithereens. Venoms contribution is paltry and borderline unmemorable by comparison. Motorhead sit at the TOP of the heavy throne. They are the keepers of the keys, the guardians of the gate. If you pass, its only because Lemmy says you can.

Venom can be considered to be one of the earliest speed-metal bands and perhaps one of the earliest practicioners of what would eventually become black metal. Others included Hellhammer (later Celtic Frost), very early Sodom, and Bathory. Bathory and Celtic Frost would have much bigger impacts on the black metal genre than Venom (who could never really shake the cartoonish image or Spinal-tap like comparisons). Bands like Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, Artillery, Testament, and Anthrax would come along and shape the Thrash movement while new arrivals Sepltura and Death would start to shape the Death Metal genre. Black Metal and Death Metal would both diverge and cultivate loyal but distinct followings, neither genre however would cite Venom as a significant influence or meaningful contributor

Dude, Venom was totally a significant influence on all those bands. They just didn't take the image seriously, but they were definitely influenced by the music,and looked up to them. Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield have both said Venom was an influence, and so has Sodom, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, Death, among others notably most of the Norwegian black metal scene, namely Mayhem, Emperor and Burzum.

Bathory's Quorthon had said back in 85, that Venom was NOT an influence, but then again he was 18 and didn't want to sound like a clone/copycat. If you own and have read the lyrics of bathory's first 2 albums, you can DEFINITELY see the venom influence and outright ripoff of venom lyrics in those early Bathory songs. Bathory has been accused of ripping off venom and metallica quite often. As a musician, you can see the similarities.

As far as saying Venom is better than Motorhead, it's up to the individual, I know alot of people that agree with you, I know alot of people that agree with me, I know alot of people that disagree with both of us.

don't know where you got your info from, but everything I said is common knowledge . I'm not going to look it up for you because I'm not into getting into internet debates, and having to post "proof".

love ya man

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Thanks again, Norma and hard4janira, for all the great information. Norma, I will listen to the Venom stuff you recommended. Thanks for the recommendations.

Both bands are great to get drunk and punch holes in the living room walls to!

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pelheckitt View Post
    Both bands are great to get drunk and punch holes in the living room walls to!
    I agree that would be an accurate description or tagline of both bands. I've been drunk off my ass at several Motorhead shows. I've never had a bad time. Motorhead is always fun.