Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

Default Re: The New THING movie!

ahhh right so its about the russian team the kurt russell finds in the 80s one ? x

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

Senior Member Junior Poster

They were Norwegians, not Russians (or Swedes, if you believe Kurt Russell).

I was going to write a long post detailing how great the original and the remake were, and my views on the prequel to the remake, but since some of you dorks offended Kayden Harley Now You Get Nothing!!!

:P

Btw, my post would have been totally awesome. . .

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Gonna see this this week then watch the Carpenter film after.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    Gonna see this this week then watch the Carpenter film after.
    The original relied on atmosphere but was let down by some clunky effects, even for the 50s.

The Carpenter film is a classic of the genre and my favourite of all his films along with Attack on Precinct 13, with all that intensity and claustrophobia which he creates better than anyone else. And as for the effects, ye gods, it's almost as if he asked David Lynch to do the overall script but got Cronenberg in for the animatronics. Even good cgi would struggle to compete.

I'm glad that it's been made as a prequel - any attempt to remake the Carpenter film would be entirely pointless.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    The original relied on atmosphere but was let down by some clunky effects, even for the 50s.

The Carpenter film is a classic of the genre and my favourite of all his films along with Attack on Precinct 13, with all that intensity and claustrophobia which he creates better than anyone else. And as for the effects, ye gods, it's almost as if he asked David Lynch to do the overall script but got Cronenberg in for the animatronics. Even good cgi would struggle to compete.

I'm glad that it's been made as a prequel - any attempt to remake the Carpenter film would be entirely pointless.
    Carpenter sure was on a role early in his career with Assault On Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, and Escape From New York. He composed the music for many of his films too.

I'm glad about The Thing being a prequel so it doesn't compete with the Carpenter film. I'm starting to get psyched about seeing it. Probably go tomorrow then.

Robert, you like Cronenberg? I dig the early stuff (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, The Dead Zone) but pretty much all Cronenberg is good. As good as people say he is he's still underrated.

Carpenter sure was on a role early in his career with Assault On Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, and Escape From New York. He composed the music for many of his films too.

I'm glad about The Thing being a prequel so it doesn't compete with the Carpenter film. I'm starting to get psyched about seeing it. Probably go tomorrow then.

Robert, you like Cronenberg? I dig the early stuff (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, The Dead Zone) but pretty much all Cronenberg is good. As good as people say he is he's still underrated.
    The Thing isn't out here yet. I agree with you about Cronenberg - very much misunderstood. Of the later films I really like Existenz, where a lot of the weird stuff is in the tiny details.

Are you into Lynch as well? Eraserhead is a constant intellectual and, let's be honest, visceral challenge, but the Elephant Man is a humanistic masterpiece.

I could go on for hours, but duty calls - it's daytime over here and I must return to the crypt before it's too late...... BWAAAHAAAHAAHAA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	christopherlee1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	427681  

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

The Thing isn't out here yet. I agree with you about Cronenberg - very much misunderstood. Of the later films I really like Existenz, where a lot of the weird stuff is in the tiny details.

Are you into Lynch as well? Eraserhead is a constant intellectual and, let's be honest, visceral challenge, but the Elephant Man is a humanistic masterpiece.

I could go on for hours, but duty calls - it's daytime over here and I must return to the crypt before it's too late...... BWAAAHAAAHAAHAA.
    My favorite David Lynch films are The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet.

The Voluptuous Diva 5 Star Poster TSMichelleAustin's Avatar

Whats funny is I seen the history on Halloween by Carpenter and he was saying how much he hates remakes and didnt like or approve of Zombies remake of his Halloween. So I think its funny that The Thing is in itself a remake and not his original idea.

5 Star Poster

why all these remakes cant they come up with something new?

live with honour

And as for the effects, ye gods, it's almost as if he asked David Lynch to do the overall script but got Cronenberg in for the animatronics. Even good cgi would struggle to compete.
    Yes, that head turning upside down and sprouting the spider legs still creeps me out.

Best movie adaptation of any Stephen King novel.

My favorite David Lynch films are The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet.
    My favorite Lynch film as well. It was the first movie I ever purchased when I got my very first VCR. "Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!" Elephant Man is phenomenal also. I have to admit that when I watch more recent Lynch films like Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire, I feel sorta dumb because I just don't quite get them. Twin Peaks will always be one of my favorite TV shows.