Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 16 Federal officials impeached...NO REPUBLICANS - WRONG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy
    You holier than thou democrats are aching for a history lesson. Since 1797, 16 democrats or Federalists(precursor to the dem. party), have been impeached, while in office. Not a damn one of them was a Proud Republican, even though the "Grand Old Party", is the world's first political party. These federal officials include "slick willie clinton", and probably should have included Richard M. Nixon, but he was smart enuough to resign, and not make the "Sad Sixteen". Read it and weap, my little negative, pessamistic, progressives.
    I've been away on business and just saw this. I thought I'd stand up - not as either a liberal or a democrat - just as someone who likes the FACTS to be straight.

So here it is boys and girls:

Your lack of knowledge of both history and politics is nothing short of AMAZING - Yourdaddy.

Before I point that out - I'd lke to address the list of the impeached

1. William Blount, senator from Tennessee; charges dismissed for want of jurisdiction, Jan. 14, 1799.
    Democrat - Yes.

2. John Pickering, judge of the U.S. District Court for New Hampshire; removed from office March 12, 1804. Democrat - No. Closer to Republican.

3. Samuel Chase, associate justice of the Supreme Court; acquitted March 1, 1805. Democrat - No. Closer to Republican.

4. James H. Peck, judge of the U.S. District Court for Missouri; acquitted Jan. 31, 1831. Democrat - No. And since his impeachment manager (essentially the prosecutor was James Buchanan - a Democrat), it is safe to say this was Peck was no friend of the party.

5 West H. Humphreys, judge of the U.S. District Court for the middle, eastern, and western districts of Tennessee; removed from office June 26, 1862. Appointed by a Democrat - Yes. Polcitical affliation questionable as he joined the secessionist movement that lead to the US Civil War and accepted an appointment to the Confederate District Court of Tennessee.

6 Andrew Johnson, president of the United States; acquitted May 26, 1868. Democrat - Yes (but elected actually on the the National Union (anti-democratic ticket).

7 William W. Belknap, secretary of war; resigned post and therefore most Senators did not vote for his conviction on Aug. 1, 1876. Democrat - No. Republican - Yes. He served under republican president Ulysses S. Grant.

8 Charles Swayne, judge of the U.S. District Court for the northern district of Florida; acquitted Feb. 27, 1905. Democrat - Yes. His impeachment was based on his 'harsh treatment of lawyers in his courtroom' among other things.

9. Robert W. Archbald, associate judge, U.S. Commerce Court; removed Jan. 13, 1913. Democrat - No. Put on the bench by Theodore Roosevelt - a very Republican president. His political affliations are also clearly republican.

10 George W. English, judge of the U.S. District Court for eastern district of Illinois; resigned Nov. 4, 1926; proceedings dismissed. Democrat - Yes.

11. Harold Louderback, judge of the U.S. District Court for the northern district of California; acquitted May 24, 1933. Democrat - No. Republican, very Republican who was a Judge, Superior Court, City and County of San Francisco, California, from 1921-1928. Put on the federal bench by Calvin Coolidge.

12 Halsted L. Ritter, judge of the U.S. District Court for the southern district of Florida; removed from office April 17, 1936. Democrat - No. Republican - very likely. No official listig of party affiliation - but like Louderback pPut on the federal bench by Calvin Coolidge, a republican president.

13 Harry E. Claiborne, judge of the U.S. District Court for the district of Nevada; removed from office Oct. 9, 1986. Democrat - Yes. Former Democratic Senatorial candidate.

14. Alcee L. Hastings, judge of the U.S. District Court for the southern district of Florida; removed from office Oct. 20, 1988. Democrat - Yes. Current member of the House of Representatives.

15. Walter L. Nixon, judge of the U.S. District Court for Mississippi; removed from office Nov. 3, 1989. Lyndon Johnson appointment. Democrat - Yes.

16 William J. Clinton, president of the United States; acquitted Feb. 12, 1999. Democrat - Of course! lol

By my count 9 on the list ... were democrats. The remaining 7 were either clearly republican or republican-leaning.

Also my history-challenged friend - the Federalists were NOT the precusors to the Democratic Party. The, hold your hat now, Democratic-Republican Party was the actual genesis of the modern democratic party. In fact, history suggests the the Federalists were the actual pre-cusors to the modern Republican party - with Daniel Webster and later like Henry Clay influencing (historically and literally) Abraham Lincoln to be the head of what is now considered the Republicans.

Also of the officals convicted and therefore removed from office - its a tie. 3 - 3. I guess both parties have had some egg on their face.

Oh if you're wondering whether I'm pulling this out of my ass - here's the backup - if you care to click.

http://www.fjc.gov/public/home.nsf
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/academic/r...ent/documents/
    http://www.gpoaccess.gov/crecord/Impeachments
    http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=3
    http://www.democrats.org/a/party/history.html
    http://www.fjc.gov/history/home.nsf/page/topics_ji_bdy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...rty#Beginnings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeach...al_impeachment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...ited_States%29
    www.nlf.net/histimp.html
    www.amendment-13.org/

I guess I just needed to rant - huh?

Platinum Poster

oops...looks like yourdaddygump has been schooled, and fooled again!

These federal officials include "slick willie clinton", and probably should have included Richard M. Nixon, but he was smart enuough to resign, and not make the "Sad Sixteen".
    Help me out here...

Nixon wasn't a Republican?

Oh....Wait...He must be referring to the =OTHER= President Richard M. Nixon, from the Bizarro White House.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Thanks for the detailed information. I still think talking about the political affilliation of Judges is the same as talking about the favorite teams of an NFL referee. Or it should be, anyhow. But overall, it wasn't the clean sweep that Yourdaddy claimed. In fact, he forgot the broom, since very few of the people ever impeached were actually removed from office. The most prominent politician by far to face impeachment and to actually be removed from office, in disgrace, was Nixon. He left voluntarily, before the Congress mopped him up, and only Ford's pardon prevented him from going from the White house, to the big house, along with almost his entire trusted staff.

FK

Gold Poster

Default Re: 16 Federal officials impeached...NO REPUBLICANS - WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by brickcitybrother

I've been away on business and just saw this. I thought I'd stand up - not as either a liberal or a democrat - just as someone who likes the FACTS to be straight.
    Oh, now, great !? Now you've done it, BCB. You done brought facts into the dialogue. Someone who can only see the world in black and white terms will certainly have a mindmelt with posts like yours. You just can't do that, son.

...Whatever -- WHAT! -- am I going to do with your type ???

Veteran Poster

Just google each of those names. Not one is a Republican. Who is the fool that said Nixon was impeached? I said he resigned BEFORE he was impeached.

Ah, the old "You can't fire me, I quit!" defense.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Veteran Poster

Just went back and researched 3 of "brothers " so-called Republicans. Pickering weasn't a Republican, Samuel Chase wasn't a Republican, William Belknap was a democrat who served in the Iowa legislature. This is boring, so I'm just gonna say that Brick Bro is doing the typical liberal tactic. "Lie and Obfuscate".

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy
    Just went back and researched 3 of "brothers " so-called Republicans. Pickering weasn't a Republican, Samuel Chase wasn't a Republican, William Belknap was a democrat who served in the Iowa legislature. This is boring, so I'm just gonna say that Brick Bro is doing the typical liberal tactic. "Lie and Obfuscate".

No lying or obfiscating... You looked at three ... two who I clearly explained were NOT - DEMOCRATS and likely republican or republican-leaning. I do not where you have ANY proof of them ALL being DEMOCRATS. William W. Belknap served as Secretary of War to Republican president Ulysses S. Grant. Also perhaps you'd like to refute what is on his grave markers at Alrington National Cemetary or what the OCTOBER 22, 1890 THE NEW YORK TIMES obituary artlcle said about the man.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wwb...on1-062803.jpg

To be more clear, since yourdaddy has deep issues. Belknap "allied himself with the Republican Party, and in 1869 became Ulysses S. Grant's Secretary of War. In March 1876, he was accused of malfeasance in office for accepting over $24,000 in bribes from a post trader seeking immunity from removal.

Perhaps yourdaddy should read what the man's family had to say about him!!! I made it small type - because this isn't going to be THAT interesting to 99% of the board. But I thought I'd back my research up ... here and now. So that we can put a stop to the falsities.

BELKNAP, WILLIAM W., GEN., is the son of Gen. William G. Belknap, of the United States Army, who distinguished himself in the war of 1812, in the Florida war, and at Resaca and Buena Vista in the war with Mexico, and died in the service in 1851, Texas. He was born at Newburg, New York, in 1829, and, after attending the high school and academy there, and pursuing his studies in Florida, where his father was stationed, he entered Princeton College in 1846, and graduated in 1848. After studying law in Georgetown, D.C., and being admitted to the bar in Washington City, he went, in July, 1851, to Keokuk and commenced the practice of the law, shortly afterward forming a partnership with Hon. R.P. Lowe (who was soon after elected ) District Judge, and later Governor and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State), and brought his mother and two sisters there in 1852. He was a member of the Legislature from Lee County, in 1857, as a representative of the Democratic party; but, being a strong Douglas Democrat, and not uniting with the members of that party who favored what was known as the Lecompton Constitution of Kansas, which was an important and exciting question in the politics of the party, he joined the Republican party. He was appointed Major of the 15th Iowa Vols., by Gov. Kirkwood, in 1861, of which regiment Gen. Hugh T. Reid was Colonel, and participated in that capacity in the battle of Shiloh, where he was wounded and had his horse shot under him. He remained in the army until the close of the war, rising gradually through the grades of Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel; was appointed Brigadier General of Volunteers, by President Lincoln, in 1864, on the recommendation of his commanders, Gens., Blair and Sherman, and was brevetted Major General in 1865 for gallant and meritorious services during the war. Having, as Brigadier General of Volunteers commanded the 3d Brigade, 4th Division, 17th Army Corps (Blair's) of the army of the Tennessee (McPherson's ); he was in numerous battles; among them, Shiloh, Corinth, the several battles near Atlanta, and the battle of Bentonville, N.C. He was engaged in the siege of Corinth, Vicksburg and of Atlanta, and commanded his Brigade (composed of the 11th,13th,15th, and 16th Iowa Regiments), under Sherman in his march from Altanta to the sea; thence to Goldsboro', Raleigh and Washington. He was repeatedly mentioned for coolness and courage, and in the battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, he took prisoner Col. Lampley, 45th Alabama, by pulling him over the works, by his coat collar.

At the close of the war, he was appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the 1st District of Iowa. On the accession of General Grant to the Presidency, he was offered the choice of either one of three important public positions in another State, and one at Washington, which he declined, and remained Collector of the 1st District (comprising the counties of Lee, Des Moines, Louisa, Washington, Jefferson, Van Buren, Henry, and Davis), until October, 1869, when he was appointed Secretary of War by President Grant, and his many friends point to the records of that office for the proof of his faithful labors for a term of over six years. Prior to this appointment, he was selected as the orator for the Army of the Tennessee at the re-union of all the Western armies, at Crosby's Opera House, Chicago, December, 1868, and delivered the address at the great Re-union of Iowa soldiers, at Des Moines, in September,, 1870.

After his resignation of the office of Secretary of War, articles of impeachment were presented against him, and after a protracted and thorough trial, he was acquitted by the Senate.

General Belknap married, in 1854, Miss LeRoy, of Keokuk the sister of Mrs. Hugh T. Reid, and their son, Hugh Reid Belknap, is now a student at Phillips academy, Andover, Mass. His present wife, Amanda, whom he married in 1873, formerly Miss Tomlinson, of Harrodsburg, Kentucky, is the daughter of the late Dr. John Tomlinson, an able and famous physician of that locality. They have one child, a daughter, Alice Belknap. Since leaving the War Department Gen. Belknap has been engaged in legal practice; his residence is Keokuk but his business before the Departments at Washington, a large part of which results from his employment as attorney by several Railroad Corporations, requires him to be absent from home during a portion of each year.

P.S. - Thank you yourdaddy for NOT arguing with what the GOP and the Democratic Party has to say about their own origins.

Ooops... Let me just highlight one portion of the famliy's statement about Belknap

[N]ot uniting with the members of that [Democratic] party who favored what was known as the Lecompton Constitution of Kansas, which was an important and exciting question in the politics of the party,
    he joined the Republican party.