Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 54550515253545556575859 LastLast

Default Re: What are you reading now - and then

With regard to Sci-fi I have only read a few of the classics ("Stranger in a Strange Land" and some Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov ) I tried to read the first "Dune " and was turned off by the same issues that you mentioned.
    On another topic, have you read any Isaac Bashevis Singer ? My mother's family was Russian /Polish and she spoke Yiddish. I love Singer's stories and those characters.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

I picked up Dune about two months ago. I read about twenty pages and quit. I am sure it's very good. I haven't read Isaac Bashevis Singer but I will look into it. That's really interesting about your mother. My parents only speak a little Yiddish, but they are always trying to add phrases to their repertoire for jokes and feel very connected to it. I will also pass on the info to my mother about Singer because she was taking more Yiddish classes before the pandemic hit and definitely take a look myself.

As for your first post about this new series trying to keep the time and place I think that's important. I never said but one reason I tend to like pulp fiction from the 40s is that I'm not super familiar with the time and place so it seems exotic to me. I may not like lots of stories on other planets or for physical laws to be different but I kind of like when it's somewhat removed from issues of today.

Gold Poster

Hey Sukumvit, I just looked at Isaac Bashevis Singer's goodreads page https://www.goodreads.com/author/lis...ashevis_Singer . I'm going to like his books (at least) but I think my mother will love them. Really appreciate it.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

"One is not born, but rather, becomes a woman" (Simone de Beauvoir)

The link below is to the book publlished last month by Katheen Stock. I have not (yet) read the whole of the book, but cannot recommend too highly the introduction (accessed via the 'Look Inside' button), which takes the reader on a tour of theories and ideas that have emerged since Simone de Beauvoir through the latest re-definition of Gender as Gender Identity, and the fractious, sometimes hysterical disputes that have erupted with academics like Stock being 'no platformed' and so on. To me, this is essential reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Material-Gi...s=books&sr=1-1

Junior Poster

I enjoy reading mtf transformation erotica, just read https://amzn.to/3gTbAf1 on kindle, hot read

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Just started the first of the now 27 book series of called" The Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James " mystery series . I am pleased and pleasantly surprised with the fidelity to the original Sherlock stories and the style of writing . Just finished 3 books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child in the "Nora Kelley " series. Always a reliably interesting and fast paced read by that pair of authors. This particular series dealing with crime and Southwest archaeology.
    More later ,daily errands now calling me .
    I just wanted to update this post regarding the "Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James" series . The first book was good but the second one was a big disappointment .

I just started book 1 of the 3 volume Maurice Le Blanc "The Arsene Lupin Gentleman-Burglar Collection" translated by George Morehead . Delightful ! Highly recommended .
    But beware, there are some awful POD (published on demand) editions out there! On Amazon look for the one with the brown on brown cover ,independently published ,665 pages . Beautifully done edition and translation.
    4 books in one.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Does anyone know Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward (1888 )? I can't find a recent article that introduced it to me, wondering if it is a good read, it was so popular at the time and seems to have uncanny because correct predictions of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Does anyone know Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward (1888 )? I can't find a recent article that introduced it to me, wondering if it is a good read, it was so popular at the time and seems to have uncanny because correct predictions of the 20th century.
    Looks very interesting and worth reading. Highly regarded on Amazon with lots of reader reviews as well as more recent addendums and companion volumes available.