Page 1 of 59 1234561151 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default What are you reading now - and then

I know - another arty-farty thread. But hey we've had movies and music and stuff so why not let us know what your choice of reading is? What papers do you read - if any? What is the book you are presently reading? What type of books do you like and why? And what book perhaps most changed your life or had the greatest impact on you?

I'll kick-off by saying I'm presently reading Orlando Figes' history of the Crimean War "Crimea" and this morning spent an hour reading the Guardian, The Independent and the Telegraph.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

GOD Emperor of Mankind Platinum Poster LibertyHarkness's Avatar

Default Re: What are you reading now - and then

i am reading all of the horus heresy novels from the black library and just got my Grey Knights omnibus book .. i mostly read warhammer 40k stuff these days ...

Liberty Harkness
    "English Transsexual Model - Entertainer - Photographer "
    Twitter

Official Website

Tumblr
    My Webcam

I'm almost finished with the third book from "A Song of Ice and Fire" (The HBO series Game of Thrones got me into it). It's a great series, although frustrating. The protagonists' family cannot catch a break, for every good thing that happens to them, a dozen horrible things go against them.

I don't read papers much except USA Today from time to time. I do read a lot of magazines, mostly car related (Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motortrend) and have recently started reading some gun mags to get some more info on my new hobby.

As far as a book changing my life.....I would have to go for The DaVinci Code, simply because before I read that book I hadn't read a book for several years and it really got me interested in them again. Since then (around 2005-2006), I've read hundreds of books!

Last edited by Anubis1779; 08-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    "If you don't know, I'm not gonna tell ya" - DSII & DK

Junior Poster

"Andrew Jackson - American Lion" by Jon Meacham

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Recently finished The Heptameron by Margueritte de Navarre and now on the Decameron by Boccaccio.

My reading is inconsistent - sometimes dozens of books in a few months and then nothing for months. Stacked beside my bed are Nostromo by Joseph Conrad, The Red and The Black by Stendahl, and 1434 by Gavin Menzies which continues his theory that the Chinese influenced the burst in European navigation that resulted in the colonization of the 'New World', the european Renaissance period, etc.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Currently reading "Squadie" by Steven McLaughlin.
    Passed the CIC at 31 = Respect!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

I'm impressed that The Da Vinci Code made you want to read again - and that you've since read hundreds of books. That's brilliant. Have to admit it was a compelling read - so much so i was reading it one day walking down the street and went straight into a lamp post.

My most recent fiction was a book called "Alma Cogan" by Gordon Burn (about a british singer from the 1950s).

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis1779 View Post
    As far as a book changing my life.....I would have to go for The DaVinci Code, simply because before I read that book I hadn't read a book for several years and it really got me interested in them again. Since then (around 2005-2006), I've read hundreds of books!
    Given that you liked the DaVinci Code, I'd like to recommend Umberto Eco's book Foucault's Pendulum which is one of my all-time favourite books. Conspiracies, the Catholic Church, the Templars, the Merovingians, satanic cults.............it's in there!

Foucoult's Pendulum is brilliant. Gotta read it again. Friend of mine even made a trek to that french village where all the secrets are supposed to be.

Bald Headed Old Fart Professional Poster BigDF's Avatar

For the last several days, I've mainly been reading the posts on here, most of which are highly entertaining. Later today I'll probably be reading a novel by Stephen Coonts who wrote Flight of the Intruder which subsequently became a movie starring Brad Johnson. I've been reading a lot of erotic fiction lately, mainly at Literotica.

I will read the Sunday edition of my local paper as well as the daily news digest on Yahoo, if I'm feeling pretty good on a given day, but my real passion is reading about history, particularly of the industrial culture.

I want to make you gasp and sigh!

Live to Love, Love to Live

http://brittanystjordan.com/