Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Default what the fuck is going on with the market

I know summer is a shitty season for trading but daaaamn this is too much volatility.

Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Default Re: what the fuck is going on with the market

We could go into the machinations but it boils down to this: wealth is accruing to the ultra-wealthy.

Small investors are cashing out and losing, some times over and over (they did it at the end of 08 and they're doing it now). Then they are sitting in cash, missing gains during recovery and waiting for inflation to erode their purchasing power.

Meanwhile, the top 1% is aggregating wealth and power, buying at the bottom with excess reserves, over and over.

The wealth gap has never been greater than it is right now.

If you haven't sold yet, don't. If you can buy now, do it.

Professional Poster

The truth is the US economy is dangerously under-regulated. GOP policy has always been to de-regulate and that leads to cowboy businesses busing the system and leading to financial disasters. If you look at the countries that have AAA+ credit ratings it's places like the Norse countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden), Switzerland, Australia etc. Those countries have regulations on banks and business that allows for profit but stops the reckless behavior so common in the US. They also tend to have good social welfare systems that prevent the massive poverty that occurs in the US that leads to higher crime etc etc. Sadly the US system seems to be on a increasingly quicker cycle of boom then bust.

Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Quote Originally Posted by alpha2117 View Post
    The truth is the US economy is dangerously under-regulated. GOP policy has always been to de-regulate and that leads to cowboy businesses busing the system and leading to financial disasters. If you look at the countries that have AAA+ credit ratings it's places like the Norse countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden), Switzerland, Australia etc. Those countries have regulations on banks and business that allows for profit but stops the reckless behavior so common in the US. They also tend to have good social welfare systems that prevent the massive poverty that occurs in the US that leads to higher crime etc etc. Sadly the US system seems to be on a increasingly quicker cycle of boom then bust.
    Trees, meet forest.

Those places are more egalitarian than the US. And they don't have a government run by the rich, for the rich.

It's 1% of our country with 90% of the assets.

The sick thing is that they have the rank and file convinced that taxes are evil, corporations should gave the same rights as people, and that the TeaBaggers are a grass roots movement instead of a bunch of ball suckers.

Guess whose sack it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Alpha, more correctly the Securities Exchange Commission is dangerously and woefully understaffed. The regulations are in place. However, the SEC is a haven for those who pass the bar exam but cant get jobs as lawyers. They understand nothing of the machinations of the market and are frankly out of their respective leagues. Mary Schapiro is well intentioned but will never be allowed to effect substantial oversight. Look at the Madoff debacle. A tiny company of barely a handful of traders who werent allowed to hold a risk position overnight in their proprietary accounts sitting on the dais with heavy weights such as Goldman and Morgan Stanley? Something stank and nobody asked why.
    come on Jimmy - they caught Gordon Gekko didn't they ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gordon Gekko_49f9953fd63de.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	414693  

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maaarc View Post
    come on Jimmy - they caught Gordon Gekko didn't they ???
    Dammit...you beat me to it!

Last edited by Willie Escalade; 08-20-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Dammit...you beat me to it!

ya but you are still living my dream life you bastard! BTW you take great photos Willie

Banned - Long overdue. Junior Poster

There is so much fucking stupidity in this thread i cant even bring myself to answer the original question

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hard4janira View Post
    There is so much fucking stupidity in this thread i cant even bring myself to answer the original question
    It was a rhetorical question anyway, but since were on the subject. I was in some triple leveraged etfs today. I'm just sayin...what the hell man....can a brotha man a non volitile dolla y'all?

Banned - Long overdue. Junior Poster

Well, you would have been laughing all the way to the bank if you were in any ETF's that were double or triple short the S&P right? Well, they are out there. You might want to look into IAU or SLV too. and are you seriously questioning why the market is so volatile right now? It's painfully obvious.

But hey, it IS a good time to buy (no i am not a broker)