Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How much does someone's personality turn you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Dupre View Post
    Do you ever feel attracted, intellectually, to a woman you initially found to be physically attractive?

Discuss amongst ya'selves. lol
    I think sometimes people can get lucky and have the personality be part of the physical attraction from the get-go...but that usually takes some initial familiarity.... be it working together, previous friendship, etc. When you get that kind of package bundled together from the start (and it's mutual) you have an excellent shot at a long term relationship.

On the other hand relationships that are based entirely on looks are doomed when there's no intellectual connection (I suppose though, that wouldn't be true if both parties in the relationship were equally vapid...lol). Most of the time we're attracted to someone for the visual image they present...and we now know that the whole process of falling for someone is a chemical reaction that occurs in our brains...that for some people is so strong that they often overlook a person's personality...mentally filling in personality flaws (or blinding oneself to them)...especially if that other individuals physical beauty is far, far above average....but eventually that chemical process subsides...and the blinders come off...sometimes slowly...sometimes shockingly fast,...and you're left with a person that annoys you.

Conversely...if you try to make a go of being with someone who you really click with on a mental level...but there was never a really great physical attraction...you wind up sticking yourself with trying to have a LTR with someone who basically amounts to being "your best friend". This can work to some degree (I actually believe a lot of LTRs fall in this category)...but I believe that these type of relationships sometimes will have some cheating involved to make them work.

Unfortunately we don't always have control of who and why we fall heads over heels for.
    ...at least, speaking for myself, that's always been true.

...sorry for the ramble...just had some caffeine.

Last edited by fred41; 08-14-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelled bundled wrong

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    ...you wind up sticking yourself with trying to have a LTR with someone who basically amounts to being "your best friend". This can work to some degree (I actually believe a lot of LTRs fall in this category)...but I believe that these type of relationships sometimes will have some cheating involved to make them work.

Unfortunately we don't always have control of who and why we fall heads over heels for.
    ...at least, speaking for myself, that's always been true.

...sorry for the ramble...just had some caffeine.
    No worries. I'm glad you got to that part about the friendship. Imo that's also part of the "whole package" in a healthy LTR.

Last edited by Nicole Dupre; 08-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Senior Member Professional Poster

Well it seems we all agree about personality in relationships (pretty obvious really).

But as for pure lust as Nicole suggested - I can honestly say that girls I initially found extremely attractive almost become ugly to me if they turn out to be a complete tool. And some of my biggest crushes (with girls I hardly know) have been based more on what I think they're like rather than their actual personality! Which suggests my desire was filling in a personality for her - meaning it must be important to me right?

As for tattoos on girls, I never used to be so crazy about loads of them. But since spending a month in California I have begun to appreciate tattooed girls lot more!

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Don't matter how hot someone is, if I'm going to meet them more than a handful of times, I've got to like them for more than their looks. Otherwise, i'd rather be with the ugly (in context) chick i can have a laugh and a chat with.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Looks aren't everything, but they do count. Personality is everything else.

~BB~

Quote Originally Posted by tsnajwa View Post
    Personality is a huge part of a relationship, atleast for a LTR. But does personality encompass beleifs? as far as moral stances, vulgarities, etc? Because I have found personally for those to be the big deal breakers with potential relationships and they have just completely turned me off..
    If you don't mind, would you like to elaborate on your thoughts a bit? I am curious to learn more about what you are thinking.

Do you ever feel attracted, intellectually, to a woman you initially found to be physically attractive?

Discuss amongst ya'selves. lol
    HUGE Nicole.... I believe personality and looks always are first steps.. Us as humans is normal to allow to get to know people deeper once we like the looks and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    Looks aren't everything, but they do count. Personality is everything else.

~BB~
    BUT BELLA is 100 % right... personality can change ur looks and even your first impression thoughts on someone

Junior Poster

Looks are important but personality and the way a person conducts themselves can make a person much much sexier. Conversely, a girl who is hot but acts like a cunt is a huge turn off. I just don't have the desire to try to pursue a chick just for her looks now that I am 31 and have been thru enough emotional train wreck girls in my life.

5 Star Poster

I'm generally attracted to artists, but too many of them are "starving".And essentially being their sugar mama gets old fast. I want someone to take care of ME a little too.
    So a handsome talented artist with one hell of a personality is no good?