Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBeauty TS
    IMO, this is not about racism as much as it is about economics. Although all those idiots that called over there were most likely racist. Instead of calling those call centers cussing them out, they SHOULD have called the CEO's of those companies instead. The are the one's that sold them out.
    But it's so much easier to cuss out someone who's more polite than we are.

There are exceptions: I used to drive for a CEO of one of the big energy companies and that man could melt stone with what spewed from his mouth. 'Course, his career began =in= the mines, so he learned from the best.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

you are correct TrueBeauty. The greedy CEO's with thier multi-million dollar compensation packages would never outsourse THEIR jobs.

The board of directors of GM will lay off 35,000 workers this year. The company has been run into the ground with a stock price that has lost more than half its value in 2005. They consistantly produce an inferior product compared to the Japanese car companies, and they fire the WORKERS. How come management doesn't get fired?

Junior Poster

Let me relate two experiences I had with tech help over the phone. One was with Dell and was with a series of Indian phone tech guys, another was with Samsung and one kid from the mid west somewhere. The Dell experience took 3 days and a series of conversations that were so obviously the result of the guy on the other end of the phone following a flow chart. I was very pleasent with all the reps and had one with an attitude. The final result was that my hard drive was fried, and a service tech was sent to my home the next day to replace it. It never should have taken 3 days to diagnose a fried drive. The second experience, with Samsung, was when I put a secondary drive onto my system. The kid on the other end of the phone was great, he was capable of critical thinking and deductive reasoning and got me hooked up and going in no time, less than 30 minutes, while easily hurdling every issue that arose during the less than simple process. The problem with Indian tech help is that 1) the time diference means daytime U.S. gets nightshift in India. Nobody likes the nightshift, so you get grumpy people with less experience. More experienced people will leverage their value to work days. The companies set policies that expect these guys to meet efficiency standards based on following company set flow charts. For the tech guys to deviate from script and attempt novel solutions puts them at risk, should they not hit the time tables set by their employers. As long as they follow the script, they can always blame the system and avoid being personally reprimanded. The problem is with the managment of these corporations who are penny wise and pound foolish. They see an obvious bottom line savings, but refuse to see the costs that come with the the supposed savings.

Professional Poster

Bottom line, dont connect me to someone who has no real idea to fix a problem, other then to follow a flowchart....thats SURE to get me fired enough to go to the local field office of said company and lash them into the ground....And this is after working for corporations for the last ten years...

I totally agree that there needs to be some unions around again....far too many corporations are getting over on there employees.

And you cant just call a CEO instead lol...how naive.

Rookie Poster

the UAW fucked themselves out of those GM jobs. I know the typical working class American attitude is shit....people have NO ambition & want things handed to them. Face it...most auto workers are not exactally what you would call "skilled" labor. Are these people that got laid off really worth $60,000 a year when you can train ANYONE to do the same job in less than 2 weeks? If the workers actually worked, strove to make a better product, things might be different.

As far as immigrant labor...I am 100% for it. If, as an American, you cannot compete in the job market with someone from a 3rd world country with a 6th grade education (Mexico) then you are just not trying hard enough. Go to school for christ's sake.

Why should large corporations pay an American do do the same job for twice the money? These people work in a fucking call center...not much glory in that. How many people would actually WANT a job in a call center?

Fact is all the cheap labor in these countries (china, india, mexico, ect) has INCREASED the standard of living in the US. Even people living in poverty in the US have a car, a color TV & dvd player thanks to cheap labor. Compare that to 50 years ago.

(prepares for the flamethrower)