Page 84 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34747980818283848586878889 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bloody Football!

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Don't be despondent.

I'm Fucking Mortified

Senior Member Professional Poster beaufont's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Yes, but till next season. Don't be despondent. At the start of the season if anyone had offered you second place you'd have taken the bet and smiled. We've had a great season with a falter at the wrong time

And we have the Champions' League to look forward to with hopefully some astute strengthening of the squad. I'd be tempted to do some vulture picking from the relegated sides. Caulker as a centre back for one, from Cardiff, maybe Marshall as a keeper, arguably the best in the league this season, and Whittaker, Snodgrass and Redmond from Norwich. Bring Borini back from Sunderland and search all over Europe for someone to do the dirty work that Mascherano excelled at. Gerrard and Lucas are good, but neither can do that job.

And if Southampton want to sell, Lallana would fit better into Liverpool than any of the other big clubs.

Anyone got Mr Henry's email address?
    If Liverpool want to establish themselves as a top 4 team players like Snodgrass & Whittaker should not be on their radar - get the feeling that's your Scottish connection. Caulker is a great shout though & Borini back from loan should be like a new signing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by beaufont View Post
    If Liverpool want to establish themselves as a top 4 team players like Snodgrass & Whittaker should not be on their radar - get the feeling that's your Scottish connection. Caulker is a great shout though & Borini back from loan should be like a new signing for them.

Could be.

Although Liverpool's great sides from the 60s onwards usually had a spine of Scotsmen (including my uncle!). Where's Sounness when you need him?

I guess I'm also dubious, going by the track record, of Rodgers' ability to spot quality players elsewhere in Europe who can adapt successfully to the Premiership, so I think looking at proven quality players in or on the way out of the Premier League would make more sense.

And what about Lallana?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Lallana has had a fantastic season but Southampton will want top dollar for him & if he is available some of the other top clubs will be interested, I actually think he would suit Arsenal's style just as much as Liverpool.

Marshall from Cardiff will be wanted by some Prem clubs too & would be much better competition/cover than Brad Jones. Don't forget they have Assaidi to come back from his loan at Stoke & he looks pretty useful in the wide role. What about Ashley Cole for left back? Chelsea don't seem to want him anymore & can still a decent job.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Come on Hammers!

Jus wookin puh nub.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

SON OF A BI.... Next year. We get the defense sorted, keep the statue of David Moyes away, bring in some additional scorers, and next year we win it!

F-ing Mancs.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It has been an unpredictable season, even if one of the top four clubs won in the end. I don't think anyone expected Manchester United to perform so badly, and at one time it looked as if Arsenal were going to contest the title. Indeed, had they maintained a full first team with players like Wilshere, Ramsay, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott, they might even be champions, but their harsh training regime and injuries also means England are without an influential player, and Wenger takes his side to the FA Cup when in theory he could be on the way out, and next season I think will be his last.

Liverpool were the outstanding team, playing some of the finest attacking football we have seen in years, but as everyone knows, and as Skrtel's own goal exposed, their defence is not good enough. Suarez redeemed himself in the best possible way, but may only stay for one more season, hard to know.

Yaya Toure is the best player in the league, I think that is beyond doubt. The question over City is whether or not they will fall foul of the Fair Play rules, but as most of the players who won today have now been there for some years, I think it shows they are developing a tight unit that will be in the top four next year, while Pellegrini is a softly-spoken, non-controversial manager who gets things done. I don't know what it is, but I always feel there is something lacking in City which Manchester United, Arsenal, and Liverpool have -perhaps charisma?

On now to the World Cup, with a young side that might surprise everyone...

Oh well. At least this season finally confirmed a nagging suspicion that in spite of my supposed detachment I am actually a Liverpool fan. And while other teams, notably Arsenal and City, produced exquisite moments of football joy - Wilshere's goal against Norwich, anyone? - the most exhilarating sight this season has been Liverpool consistently breaking with breathtaking speed, elan and style. Let's hope we can build on with a few well-chosen signings.

And credit to City, they came good when it mattered and Pellegrini has turned a difficult dressing room into a strong unit.

So, on to Brazil.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    On now to the World Cup, with a young side that might surprise everyone...
    I hope you're right about that - yes, this is a Scotsman speaking!

Hodgson isn't naturally inclined towards surprise, but the number of times he's appeared at St Mary's suggests that there will be a solid core of Southampton players in the squad if not the starting eleven. That said, Lallana has been the best English midfielder all season and would deserve a place alongside Henderson.

We'll know the squad on Monday at 2pm.

Can't argue too much with the squad he has gone for but think the defence looks decidedly weak with Jones & Smalling acting as right back & centre back cover - both players are massively over-rated in my opinion & wouldn't be slected if they didn't play for Utd.

Hoping Rooney can find the same form he started his England career with & pleased to see Lambert chosen, think he will give us something different & plays with a good football brain. At the very least many of this squad will gain valuable experience for future tournaments.

My belief is that a successful tournament for England will be getting past the group stage with greater achievements to come in the future (hopefully).