Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bloody Football!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I never know how far to trust the Mail, and I wasn't sure how well known the place might be, so I accept your criticism. You have had an interesting life and passed through some nodal points of modern Scottish life, perhaps that is one reason you have become a troubador. It also seems to confirm a belief that Scots often achieve more for themselves when they leave the country of their birth, just as I wonder if the long-established connection between Scotland and Manchester United -indeed, English football has now come to an end.
    Thanks for the compliments Stavros. Gosh!

As it happens, I have played tennis with Gordon Brown (!), and was privileged to know two sadly-passed and much missed giants of the Scottish political scene in John Smith and Donald Dewar, and with John, his wonderful family too. I've noticed the same thing in Ireland; small countries operate very much like villages, and it's just as noticeable now when I go back north to see just how much better informed the man in the street is about all that's going on in and around Holyrood, including the gossip, than the equivalent down south.

I'm very happily settled in York - love it, in fact, as it has a very rich cultural and historical life to offer as well as being a very pleasant place to live - but I do wonder how I'll feel if the vote in the referendum is for independence. It would certainly increase the sense of obligation to the country and the institutions which educated and formed me, that idea of putting something back.

Weather's fecking awful though......

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Don't go overboard yet fellas. Remember that there's no Henderson and no Sturridge. Start with Coutinho, or put him in the hole behind Suarez, but it won't be easy, as Norwich will simply park the bus. 1 - 0 on an iffy penalty will do nicely.

Meanwhile, let's see if Man C are actually imploding by watching what happens when they play West Brom on Monday. Stumbles by the other contenders could still be enough to bring the title back to its spiritual home.

Fingers crossed.
    Sturridge might (emphasis on might) be back tomorrow!!!

Less than 24 hours!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jus wookin puh nub.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

As it happens, I have played tennis with Gordon Brown (!), and was privileged to know two sadly-passed and much missed giants of the Scottish political scene in John Smith and Donald Dewar, and with John, his wonderful family too. I've noticed the same thing in Ireland; small countries operate very much like villages, and it's just as noticeable now when I go back north to see just how much better informed the man in the street is about all that's going on in and around Holyrood, including the gossip, than the equivalent down south.
    John Smith and Donald Dewar were men for whom I had guarded respect, but Gordon Brown never impressed me, indeed, I consider him one of the willing architects of the demolition of the Labour Party, and integral to the corrupt nature of Labour politics north of the border which Dewar was also involved in. For some reason, the moral integrity of politicians which sounds so admirable on tv or on the platform, deserts them when it comes to managing local parties. Even worse in Wales.

I think the cultural change in English football might not be the decline of Scottish managers, but the end of the commitment to long-term management that we saw with Ferguson and which I suspect will end with Wenger leaving Arsenal this summer -particularly if they don't beat Hull in the FA cup. He might leave anyway.

Shit.
    Ah well,have to win the last two games and hope City slip up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Piper View Post
    Shit.
    Shit indeed.

Shit indeed.
    Yep RL
    City are across Stanley Park next game,the Toffees don't like doing us favours,but lets hope this time they oblige.

Away to Palace,home to Newcastle. 6 points, i beg of you.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Shit.
    I'm going to be a big Everton fan next week.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Yep RL
    City are across Stanley Park next game,the Toffees don't like doing us favours,but lets hope this time they oblige.

Away to Palace,home to Newcastle. 6 points, i beg of you.
    That said, and the first goal was an unfortunate gift, Mourinho showed his tactical acuity yet again. Nothing so blunt as "parking the bus", but they certainly made sure that Liverpool's creativity and above all their blistering pace, were tamed throughout.

Rodgers has proved this season that he is a great manager, but he still has some way to go. And a bigger squad with quality depth wouldn't go amiss either. If Adam Lallana leaves Southampton ( and I hope he doesn't), he'd fit better into Liverpool's style than any of the other big clubs.

Rodgers has proved this season that he is a great manager, but he still has some way to go. And a bigger squad with quality depth wouldn't go amiss either. If Adam Lallana leaves Southampton ( and I hope he doesn't), he'd fit better into Liverpool's style than any of the other big clubs.

That sounds like you think it's all over.

That sounds like you think it's all over.
    I don't, actually, but it's now City's to lose. My remarks were about what needs to happen over the summer for Liverpool to mount an even better challenge next season as well as give them the depth for a successful Champions League campaign.

The current season mustn't be a flash in the pan, because Man U will come back stronger and better, you can depend on that. What we don't want is the re-establishment of the current big four of Manchester City and United, Chelsea and Arsenal. Liverpool need to stay up there and a bigger squad with some seriously quality additions is fundamental to that aim.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.