Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster up_for_it's Avatar

Default Re: Bloody Football!

Quote Originally Posted by SammiValentine View Post
    Can you really see moyes outsmarting many or any managers in the champions league??!?!!? Ridiculous shout, imo.
    Although I favor United, I have to agree. While I respect what Moyes has done in the EPL, I worry they will continue to fall flat in Europe for the foreseeable future, which is what the club needs to do well at to remain lucrative. I'm also concerned that, like Fergie, he favors the flanks too much, which will ensure Utd.'s chronic midfield problem remains under prioritized. As much as I enjoyed watching RVP bang them in this year, fact remains the money would have been better spent in the center of the pitch. Carrick still leaves a lot to be desired. At any rate, with compact formations becoming the continental trend, I could see them getting outmuscled, just look at BVB and Bayern, not to mention the Spanish teams. Fit and aggressive in winning back possession.

All that being said, I think he'll do ok domestically and I hope he can bring Leighton Baines over and start moving out the ageing back four before further problems develop.

Still divided on Mourhino- true he wouldn't have stayed long, but he would have won silverware. Such is the way of things these days and Moyes on a 6 year contract is a bit boggling. Maybe I'm losing my idealism, but I can't see very many dynasties being built at the moment.

I never figured they'd land Pep, he seems like too much of a football Che Guvera to come to England.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    A fascinating weekend of football with the climax to come -Manchester City lose the cup to a dogged Wigan side, and Mancini loses his job; Wigan look like they are going down when it should be the abject Newcastle; Cardiff will join the Premier League to give us another fascinating rivalry -with Swansea; and nobody knows where Rooney is going, if he goes anywhere. Maybe a swap with Frank Lampard?
    Chelsea win the Europa League, goodbye Rafa, and Lampard gets another year at Stamford Bridge. Wigan are indeed relegated - interesting to see if Martinez will go or stay, and also if the club can mount a challenge to bounce back. Great relief at Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa and Norwich. Will they fare any better next season?

And north of the border, a cheer for Partick Thistle, back in the Premier League after too long an absence. The Glasgow club for atheists and dreamers and also, temporarily at least, the de facto other half of the Old Firm. Sunshine at Firhill again.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I think the seasons that has passed has not been a great one; some memorable moments, but other than the chase for the 4th champions league spot, there was no drama on the final day.

Yahoo have published a revised table which takes into account goals that would have been scored had the ball not hit the woodwork -grim news for Liverpool as they would have come fourth after United, City and Spurs -not sure which player has hit the woodwork most of all.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...210016128.html

I think the seasons that has passed has not been a great one; some memorable moments, but other than the chase for the 4th champions league spot, there was no drama on the final day.

Yahoo have published a revised table which takes into account goals that would have been scored had the ball not hit the woodwork -grim news for Liverpool as they would have come fourth after United, City and Spurs -not sure which player has hit the woodwork most of all.
    Suarez. He bit it whenever a player got away from his jaws.

I was expecting a quiet summer, but last night England came close to repeating the defeat of Brazil in Brasil they managed in 1984 -while playing like donkeys; as usual the profusion of creative attacking players in Brasil can be undone by a slack defensive line -the Germans would have slaughtered this team, methinks.

And today it is official: The Special One has returned.

And today it is official: The Special One has returned.
    What? On My Knees is back on HA? Praise the lord!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funny_cartoon_footballer.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	590343  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoccerBJ.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	590675  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Torres with 4 goals tonight against Tahiti. It kind of begs an interesting question though. Is he really any good? It seems to me that he only shines against weak opponents, like Tahiti, where he goes nuts scoring and wins the golden boot in a tournament, but never has a good series of games. Yet, Spain is probably going to win, due in no small part to him. Chelsea were the Champions League winners and Europa Cup winners, both due in no small part to Torres, and it can legitimately be said that under Rafa at Chelsea, he showed vast improvement, and helped contribute to their higher ranking in the tables than they had been the year before.

Is he that good? Does he only respond to certain coaches, certain systems? Or does he get lucky at the right times, but is an average player who just happens to always be in the right place?

Jus wookin puh nub.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferParisHusband View Post
    Torres with 4 goals tonight against Tahiti. It kind of begs an interesting question though. Is he really any good? It seems to me that he only shines against weak opponents, like Tahiti, where he goes nuts scoring and wins the golden boot in a tournament, but never has a good series of games. Yet, Spain is probably going to win, due in no small part to him. Chelsea were the Champions League winners and Europa Cup winners, both due in no small part to Torres, and it can legitimately be said that under Rafa at Chelsea, he showed vast improvement, and helped contribute to their higher ranking in the tables than they had been the year before.

Is he that good? Does he only respond to certain coaches, certain systems? Or does he get lucky at the right times, but is an average player who just happens to always be in the right place?

In his first few seasons at Liverpool he was sensational, unplayable, the only striker who could put fear into the hearts of both Vidic and Ferdinand in the same game; arguably the best player in his role in the world.

He'd gone off the boil by the time he went to Chelsea, had more than his fair share of injuries and the loss of self-confidence was visibly massive. Sadly, he's shown few signs of returning to the stunning form he showed under Benitez at Liverpool other than tantalising glimpses. It's great shame, because at his peak he was simply exhilarating to watch.

The interesting question is whether Rafa will come in for him again and take him to Italy, but I look back with nostalgia to that season when his goals and overall team contribution briefly made Liverpool genuine challengers for the title again.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.