Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41818687888990919293 LastLast
    Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: Bloody Football!

Yes, I've been to Paris, but about 10 years ago and I flew there. I've never used the chunnel, something I intend to rectify one day but probably not soon.

I honestly think the politicians, all across Europe, not just the UK, don't have a clue how to handle the refugee crisis. Despite a lot of talk, there's no unified strategy and i doubt there will be. It's "every country for themselves" with them all bickering and blaming each other for not doing enough.

There will always be arguments over whether certain countries (including the UK) are pulling their weight. The big irony that I see at the moment is that it's the countries least equipped to deal with it (at least economically) that are very much in the front line. I watched a news story a few days ago about a small Greek island, population around 150, that was getting 300 refugees landing on there shores every day. Small communities like that simply can't cope for long under pressures like that and let's face it Greece's economy is precarious enough without the extra burden. I can't find a link to that particular article but there are plenty of other similar examples.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-migrants.html

One of the big issues is distinguishing between genuine refugees and economic migrants. The prevailing opinion in the UK is that refugees would seek asylum in the first European country they entered, whilst anyone prepared to trek all the way across Europe (and across the Channel) to the UK must be a migrant either looking to "take jobs away from hard working Brits" or "scrounge on the benefit system". As such, sympathy for them is in fairly short supply.

As to United's latest signing, never heard of him before and if I'm honest, without resorting to google, I've already forgotten his name. Mind you I'd never heard of Cristiano Ronaldo or Bebe before they moved to United so I guess it could go either way...

I'll be interested to see how Virgil van Dijk adapts to the Premiership after his move from Celtic to Southampton. Following in the footsteps of Wanyama, who's been a big hit at Southampton and I'm slightly surprised hasn't moved on to a "bigger" club in this window.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferParisHusband View Post
    Yeah, I'm waiting for Rogers to get a new contract, then will laugh as Liverpool go into an October meltdown, and they fire him.
    Well, that's one prediction you've got right so far...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34423344

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Kind of wish I wasn't right about. Would have rather they fired him last year after the other meltdown. But the owners just know fuck all about football. So, they'll bring in Klopp, handcuff him with a transfer committee or some crap, January window will pass with no improvement, Summer will pass with no improvement, and we'll become the new model Totenham. <sigh.>

Jus wookin puh nub.

Brendan Rodgers sacked, Dick Advocat leaving Sunderland, and it's only the beginning of October. The Premiership merry go round continues...

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Mourinho depart soon as well, Abramovic isn't exactly known for his patience... Assuming Klopp get's the Liverpool job, I wonder what odds I'd get on Carlo Ancelotti making a "shock" return to Stamford Bridge before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Brendan Rodgers sacked, Dick Advocat leaving Sunderland, and it's only the beginning of October. The Premiership merry go round continues...

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Mourinho depart soon as well, Abramovic isn't exactly known for his patience... Assuming Klopp get's the Liverpool job, I wonder what odds I'd get on Carlo Ancelotti making a "shock" return to Stamford Bridge before Christmas.
    Ancelloti probably won't go to either. He's still recovering from the back surgery and has publicly stated he won't be managing any team until at least next season. But, if Ancelotti came back under the Russian, I think Chelski has all the tools they need to fulfill my other prediction about them winning the league. But at this point, City really needs to screw up, and have a lot of injuries. My bet, Mourinho isn't going anywhere unless he seriously pisses off Abramovic. And if he does, probably Frank De Boer. If it's the end of the season, Abramovic will probably make Pep G. the richest manager in all of football.

I'm still not convinced Advocat leaving Sunderland is a good move for them. Something wasn't working, which seems odd considering how they did towards the end of last season. I don't think they are going to get anyone better in there. Who is out there that would actually go to Sunderland? Big Sam Allerdyce? He will go anywhere (multiple times!)

That said, I really wanted Klopp, because I figured he is the overwhelming fan choice and might hold out until the Yanks got rid of that stupid transfer committee. Everything I've seen though, says he won't fight it, and the transfer committee stays. Even if he has final say over players, he's got to get a committee on the same page as him, and if Brendan couldn't do that, I can't see a guy who barely speaks English doing so. It kind of spells disaster. So if the transfer committee isn't going to go away, I kind of want someone who isn't a legendary coach, because they're going to fail, and Fenway Sports Group will never get the hint that they're the ones fucking up the works.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Jus wookin puh nub.

I didn't know about Ancelotti's back surgery, just read a few stories that his name was being thrown into the ring for the liverpool job and assummed he must be available.

Again, at the moment just stories but Liverpool are looking to have Klopp in place by the end of the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34448282

I red somewhere (but can't find it again) that Klopp was "happy" to work with the transfer committee at Liverpool as long as he had the final say.

I think the problem with Advocat at Sunderland was that in truth he didn't want to be there. He was going to leave at the end of last season and only changed his mind at the last minute. Given the way this season has gone for Sunderland, I think it was only a matter of time before he jumped. Allerdyce is certainly among the names mentioned and if nothing else would be a "safe pair of hands".

So.... uh.... remember when I put the jinx on Chelsea by saying they would win the league.... Since it's either my Jinx or Eva's curse, I'm going to stay with it. Chelsea is going to win the league. So is Arsenal, Man U, an City. They're all going to win the league. Hope the jinx works on them too!

Jus wookin puh nub.

Having just re-read my predictions for the season, all I can say is thank fuck I'm not a betting man...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

So, Jose Mourinho is out at Chelsea. I guess there's still time for my prediction of them winning the league to happen... they're in 16th in the tables, so probably not, but there's still a chance. Any thoughts on where he might end up next? There's a part of me that would like Jose to take over the USA Men's squad. That too will never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if it did.

Chelski seems to be linked with Pep G, as are Man(U)re, City, and Real Madrid. No chance he's going to end up there. Any thoughts on who might come in, and when?

Jus wookin puh nub.

Despite their recent run of poor form, Mourinho's sacking seems to have come as a susprise here. The prevaling thought was that Chelsea might as well stick with him till the end of the season.

With my track record I shouldn't make predictions. The problem I see is that any manager they bring in now will know that he's only keeping the seat warm before Chelsea push hard to get Guardiola in the summer. If they don't get Pep, then any alternative will know that they are "second best"

It's rumoured that Guardiola is about to announce that he will leave Bayern at the end of the season. As you say Man City are very keen (and will also allegedly try to sign Messi and Pogba to tempt him). Guardiola himself apparently prefers the Man U option.

You might want to sit down for this, but one name that I heard thrown into the Chelsea ring was... Brendan Rodgers.

As to where Jose will go next. He's shown time and time again to be a great short term fix, but poor at building a long term legacy. In that sense, Real Madrid might not be as daft as it sounds. Football is fickle and has a short memory.

Mourinho has one major ambition left though and that's to manage an international team. He's indicated in the past that in addition to the obvious option of Portugal, he's open to managing England. I think he might take a little break until after the European Championships and assess his options then.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 12-17-2015 at 09:09 PM.