Default Re: Bloody Football!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferParisHusband View Post
    City 3, Chelski 0.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chelsea.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	867990
    hi) do you know where is henry now? is he retired or smt?)

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

https://www.facebook.com/ThierryHenr...82120155174199

He announced his retirement a while back. I don't see him in the MLS anymore, I might need to check with Laph, but I think he's on Sky Sports now.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

I'm sure he's retired from professional football.

As to what he's doing now, he occassionally turns up as a guest studio pundit when Arsenal are playing a big match and I think he does similar work on French TV. I'm sure he was at the last World Cup with French TV. I don't have Sky, so I couldn't tell you if he's on there or not.

Unless they go into management or TV, even world class footballers like Henry tend to drop off the radar and into obscurity fairly quickly.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Transfer window in England shuts on Tuesday at 6pm. It's a bank holiday on Monday, hence why they are out of step with most of the rest of Europe. (Not for the first time...)

Any predictions on who the last minute big or panic buys will be?

Nah, I never what happens during silly season. I know what Liverpool needs, and I know that last year panicking got them Mario Balotelli, so the only prediction I think I can safely make is that they won't make a panic buy this year. the rest of the teams... No clue. Arsenal needs a striker, Wenger is stubborn and won't buy anyone. But "the Hair" needs a better partner if the gooners want to challenge for the top spot. On the good side, I'll be able to listen to goner fans crying on talk sport when the window closes about how high their ticket prices are, and how Wenger doesn't try. For a Liverpool fan, that never really gets old.

Jus wookin puh nub.

I think there's still a couple of big signings along with a few surprises to come before the transfer window shuts.

My prediction though is that the biggest news will be Man Uniteds embarrassing failure to bring in another "star" name after making a last minute bid for Bale, Neymar or whoever else they might target.

On other news, the latest controversy to hit the upcoming Russian World Cup.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...r-neo-nazi-row

Last edited by Laphroaig; 08-31-2015 at 12:26 PM.

It always strikes me as odd when you see someplace, like Russia, that should have a very anti-Nazi stance, given the history, with little Neo-Nazis running around. I guess Puti-poot is too worried about gay people to care. When I lived in England (briefly) I went to a Lille match. The Nazi thing there was unsettling to say the least. The more I read, the more it's all over Europe. I just don't get it.

Russia.... I think it's too late to take the World Cup away from them. Same with Qatar. Plus, I think it's time there was a World Cup in the Middle East. I think it might do some good for them to get exposed to the World. But this is one more thing that FIFA and that arse Blatter should be held accountable for. Corrupt bastards.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Well, I was half right, Man U were an embarrassment but not in the way I predicted.

This probably isn't the place to discuss Russian politics and I don't know much about it anyway. However, while I agree that on the surface it's strange that Russia, given their history, should have any element of Naziism, I suspect that a strong part of it is driven by "Nationalism" (obvious example being the British National Party) and Russians have always had a strong sense of national pride. At present, Russia is being isolated due to the situation in Ukraine and it's easy to see how those circumstances could become a breeding ground for Nazi culture. It's also in Putin's (short term) interests as it deflects attention from his own incompetence and puts the blame for Russia's problems on "minority groups" in exactly the same way Hitler placed the blame for Germany's problems.

I do agree that it's too late to take the World Cup off them and it would be a hollow gesture anyway after they recently hosted the Winter Olympics.

FIFA and Blatter do have a LOT to answer for...

Last edited by Laphroaig; 09-01-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Eh, no one else seems to be using this thread, might as well talk about what we want to talk about.

The Russian National Pride thing is scary. I see it here in the States, and it scares me about here. It's like there's this whole segment of the world that can't look back at history and say "Oh yeah, that's why all that happened." I live in a part of Ohio that is.... well, I guess Redneck is the best term for it. I like to travel, study, learn about other people and cultures, most of the people at the bar I was in the other night do not. A soldier came into the bar, everyone stood up and clapped. They sang the national anthem for him. I sat there drinking my beer and did nothing, I was asked to leave. On my way out, got called Commie, told I wasn't a real American. That to me is incredibly scary. I see Russia, you've got the Nationalism, and the race thing, and the anti-gay thing going on. Putin is driving it, and he's pretty much got power secured for a long long time. It is very reminiscent of WWII, especially if you look at annexing the Sudetenland...I mean Crimea. But that's how power works to stay in power, Republicans in the USA are great for this, always be the victim, and nothing is your fault, find a scapegoat, and be as patriotic and nationalistic as you can. We are nowhere near as bad as Russia, or LePen's party in France (the name is escaping me), and even UKIP to a smaller extent. But seeing how much this has been on the rise in just the last 3 years, it is troublesome.

While we are detouring on politics, what is going on in the UK with Syrian Rebels? I'm watching what is going on with the Hungary/Germany thing right now. I'm honestly torn about this. They are fleeing for their lives, they risk being tortured, killed, or starved to death, so I am of the belief that nations who can help, should help. But then I look at France. I'm sure you've been to Paris. Have you ever taken the train down through the Chunnel? There's a small town just north of Paris where the Eurostar slows down, it's also the last city on the Metro line going north. I went there one time, just to walk around. It's all Muslim. There are no jobs there for them, the French don't want them in with rest of the population, and the anger of the population there is intense. I pretty much walked over to a restaurant, looked in the window, crossed back over the canal and went home. People were literally following me with sticks. The attackers of that Jewish grocery, and one of the Charlie Hebdo attackers had lived there for a while. It breeds Anti-Western sentiment in those people. I see Germany doing the same thing, sticking them in their own village and letting them fend for themselves, making it hard to get work, etc. It's like no one ever looks around Europe and sees what is going on either. Just curious to know if the UK is actually trying to plan for this.

But back to football. What do you think of United's latest signing? A bit expensive for someone so unproven right? He's only 6 million less than Suarez.

Jus wookin puh nub.