Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445
    Rookie Poster

Default Re: What Is The Next Gun You Plan On Buying?

yep only the best That's why I buy German cars, tools, etc. (their sex can be brow-raisingly overwhelming lol

Sometimes you feel like a , sometimes you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by txsam View Post
    well, I think some of us have digressed into the political... SO, to get back on track... I just got (yesterday) another of my favorites: the H&K USP .45cal

BTW, I did get it for work

A tank of a firearm that will continue to function through any event short of a tank driving over it. Definitely one of the better firearms you can own.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Gold Poster

I just purchased a new toy as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ak-wii-mote.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	479510  

Gold Poster

This is the one I'm going for next. I only buy my rocket launchers from Islamic Jihad, as well as other tools.

Name:	Rocket-Launcher-Gaza-20040511.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	479511  

It was all a dream... Junior Poster

I hear Beretta's are good.

Senior Member Professional Poster irvin66's Avatar

Wink Re: What Is The Next Gun You Plan On Buying?

Beretta is one of the world's oldest firearms manufacturers!
    but I do not like the Beretta much. I want a Garand M1, but they are bloody hard to get here in Norway.

I would also like to have an RPG-7....

Name:	Rpg7a6dm.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	479512  

Last edited by irvin66; 06-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Harry hol schon mal den Wagen...

Senior Member Professional Poster irvin66's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: What Is The Next Gun You Plan On Buying?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I just purchased a new toy as well.
    يوم سعيد. الله يكون معك
    Good for you!

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	479516  

Harry hol schon mal den Wagen...

Gold Poster

Anyone know where to get a good detonator? BAM!

Name:	Mk_6_nuclear_bomb.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	479533  

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Likewise on the friendship front. Even when I disagree with an argument you put forth, which is infrequent, I enjoy the edifying discourse that follows. A deeply reflective, contemplative nature is always appreciated.

My schedule is burtal today, so I have to be brief and less thorough than I would prefer. We agree that gun safety does suppress the rate of gun related deaths and injuries. Understanding things like how a firearm has to be suited to your body type for proper handling (much like a motorcycle) and how different types of ammunition interact with flesh and inanimate matter (overpenetration leading to an unintended targets being struck, etc.) are key. Nevertheless, you are right that more firearms will inevitably equate to more firearm related accidents, just like more motorcycles will inevitably lead to more motorcycle related deaths. The same goes for cars, planes, etc. It's a cliched response, I know, but it does beg the question "Just where do we draw the line on protecting the public from itself?"

So far as concealed vs. open carry is concerned, I'm not personally opposed to open carry. However, I do believe making it a legal requirement would be of primary benefit to violent criminal elements as it would allow them to identify with greater certainty those capable of resisting their efforts from those who cannot. Concealed carry removes that certainty, making any criminal action riskier and therefore less likely. To cite one piece of anecdotal evidence, I've seen far fewer road-rage incidents here in Atlanta than when I lived in NYC. Why? You never know who is carrying here. In NYC, it's a safe bet that the other guy is not.

As you've illustrated by citing your county's history, there is no one size fits all answer. There are numerous socioeconomic and cultural factors that make a workable solution in one region of the country injurious to another. Here in Atlanta, most of the police officers I know actually favor concealed carry (the same cannot be said of many other cities). Why? The APD is undermanned, underequipped, and just plain underfunded thanks to a city government that treats them in a manner nothing short of embarrassing. The people licensed to carry aren't the ones they need to worry about, and they know it. Places like the club I mentioned above are sites they don't generally have to apply their limited resources to, and they appreciate it.

-Quinn
    Since you're open to a discussion, I'm happy to engage. I know fourty some pages ago the intention of the thread was to discuss which firearms people were buying. This is a very organized and effective response to those of us who ring the alarm bells about the risk of allowing the average Joe the Plumber to carry a gun. I don't think others should only be upset by those who want to discuss the shortcomings of owning a weapon.

The first issue I have is with the analogy to cars, planes, and motorcycles. It is a fair response to the statistic you were given, as it regarded the risk level of a specific activity, which of course is going to be correlated with the frequency one engages in it. But cars, planes, and motorcycles at least serve an independent purpose apart from maiming people. You could say that the independent purpose of carrying a weapon can be narrowly defined as deterrence. A sort of man to man game of mutually assured destruction. Or shooting the odd person who has a gun and can only be stopped by using one of your own.

The response to the first rationale is the same issue we confront when looking at the increasing number of countries that want to enter the Nuclear club. How can you be certain about the rationality of everyone participating? I wouldn't want only one party to have a nuclear weapon, but then again I wouldn't want a hundred either.

The fact is that if guns were made illegal tomorrow, there would still be rogue individuals who carried them. This makes those who want to own guns crazy because they can't stand that they wouldn't be able to counter the force of someone breaking the law. Yet, if 90% of people owned guns you would have people with self control issues brandishing them, you'd have people witnessing a robbery carried out with a knife playing Charlie Bronson, and you'd have all sorts of claims by people standing over dead bodies that the other guy was reaching for his holster. And I really wouldn't want bouncers at clubs having guns. I don't trust them and the degree of vicarious liability for owners would go through the roof if they began lighting up the club and claiming provocation.

That said, I recognize that there's a second amendment. I also recognize that the issue for many people is that of self-determination; that they can hypothetically protect themselves even if on average they endanger others. It may be a right, but I can't really see it as a social good.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by irvin66 View Post
    Beretta is one of the world's oldest firearms manufacturers!
    but I do not like the Beretta much.:
    Yeah, I don't like them much either. We have one here at work, and we keep it dirty and use it as a misfire/misfeed practice gun because when its any bit dirty and you use anything but the best ammo it stovepipes 100% of the time... and its not in bad condition either- was new (when we started)

Sometimes you feel like a , sometimes you don't...