Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445 LastLast
    Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Default Re: What Is The Next Gun You Plan On Buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    For my part, I chose not to rely upon the forbearance of other to ensure the continued safety of my friends and family, not to mention myself.
    ^^^This^^^
    Sadly (unless you break the law, which i would never do), a choice that's been taken away from us over here.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

I getting some water guns for a pool party this weekend.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The sad thing is that the decision to carry puts the rest of us at risk. Do you actually feel safer in a tavern or at a park with your family knowing everyone is armed. The risk of being robbed might (and that's a big "might") be lower, but the risk of being accidentally shot increases with the number of people carrying. And why concealed? If you're going to carry, own up to it and carry open, so people know where the damn thing is pointing and can avoid the line of the barrel. (If a pistol isn't holster; i.e. it's in a pants pocket or a purse it may be aimed anywhere. My father taught me never let the barrel pass across the body of a person even if there's nothing in the chamber, the safety's on, the guns empty whatever).

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Reflections View Post
    I getting some water guns for a pool party this weekend.
    Cool

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    The sad thing is that the decision to carry puts the rest of us at risk. Do you actually feel safer in a tavern or at a park with your family knowing everyone is armed. The risk of being robbed might (and that's a big "might") be lower, but the risk of being accidentally shot increases with the number of people carrying. And why concealed? If you're going to carry, own up to it and carry open, so people know where the damn thing is pointing and can avoid the line of the barrel. (If a pistol isn't holster; i.e. it's in a pants pocket or a purse it may be aimed anywhere. My father taught me never let the barrel pass across the body of a person even if there's nothing in the chamber, the safety's on, the guns empty whatever).
    Your father taught you well. Safety always first. How old were you when you began to learn to shoot? My first gun was a .22 rifle that I learned safety and fundamentals with. My police officer father was my instructor and I started at 12 years old.

I was about ten when Dad and I shot cans in the back with a BB gun. About twelve when we shot bottle lids with the 22 at the abandoned reservoir just outside of town. I got pretty good. I was probably around fourteen when we hunted for squirrels and groundhogs. Got the shotgun for pheasants. Like I said the 30 ought six was for deer. That was in Pennsylvania. Out here in the Midwest it's to flat (unsafe) to hunt deer with a rifle, hunters here use slugs and a shotgun.

I was about ten when Dad and I shot cans in the back with a BB gun. About twelve when we shot bottle lids with the 22 at the abandoned reservoir just outside of town. I got pretty good. I was probably around fourteen when we hunted for squirrels and groundhogs. Got the shotgun for pheasants. Like I said the 30 ought six was for deer. That was in Pennsylvania. Out here in the Midwest it's to flat (unsafe) to hunt deer with a rifle, hunters here use slugs and a shotgun.
    Trish, we've discussed firearms before. Let me say that I am glad that you know how to use one if you had too. This gives me comfort. I worry about all you girls. Possibly too much but that's my nature.

I remember taking a safety course at a rifle range Dad belonged to. There was a slide with a picture of a bottle and a barrel separated by a plus sign. The whole picture had a big X crossed over it and the caption read "Never mix alcohol and gunpowder." I was too young to under the message and asked what happens if you mix them.

I remember taking a safety course at a rifle range Dad belonged to. There was a slide with a picture of a bottle and a barrel separated by a plus sign. The whole picture had a big X crossed over it and the caption read "Never mix alcohol and gunpowder." I was too young to under the message and asked what happens if you mix them.
    That's good policy that I need to be more consistent with myself. Bullets and Whiskey should not go together like Peanut Butter & Jelly.

I'm not aware of a state that allows civilians to carry in establishments serving alcohol. (I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I'm not aware of such a place.) To answer that question, no, I don't think people should be carrying in a tavern or the like. Fortunately, here in Georgia they are not allowed to due so.

As for carrying in a park or other public place, the answer is an unequivocal "yes." One of the things I do for charity is run a lounge, bar, and dance hall -- the profits of which go to support the charitable efforts of a not-for-profit fraternal order. The property is located on the border between one of Atlanta's most exclusive neighborhoods and one that is run down. For decades it was robbed with surprising regularity. That has changed now that it's known many of my people carry (and, no, not in the bar). This, in turn, has brought back a lot of business to help revive a once failing enterprise.

Violent crime is based upon predation. Criminal elements target those they deem less likely or able to defend themselves and/or their possessions. By that logic, if I am in a room with ten other people and not one of us is carrying, what occurs at any given moment is dependent upon elements of physicality that don't favor women, children, the old, infirm, or even weaker males. Firearms level the playing field and help to ensure safety for the aforementioned should I discontinue adhering to the social contract that protects them.

Most of my local friends, business associates, neighbors, etc., possess firearms and have a license to carry. Knowing how seriously they take the responsibility that goes with that privilage, I do feel safer. The majority have taken classes to ensure proper handling of their weapons and practice at the range regularly.

On a final note, your father was right. All of the concealed carry holsters in my house -- an ankle holster, an in-the-waistband holster, and my wife's carrying purse -- have the firearm pointing at the ground. Allowing the barrel to face an individual whom you do not intend to shoot is considered a serious breach of etiquette.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.