Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Still Here 5 Star Poster

Default Pat Robertson suggests God smote Sharon

Evangelist links Israeli leader's stroke to 'dividing God's land'

Thursday, January 5, 2006; Posted: 7:08 p.m. EST (00:08 GMT)

(CNN) -- Television evangelist Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, which Robertson opposed.

"He was dividing God's land, and I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the [European Union], the United Nations or the United States of America,'" Robertson told viewers of his long-running television show, "The 700 Club."

"God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'" he said.

Robertson's show airs on the ABC Family cable network and claims about 1 million viewers daily.

Sharon, 77, clung to life in a Jerusalem hospital Thursday after surgery to treat a severe stroke, his doctors said.

The prime minister, who withdrew Israeli settlers and troops from Gaza and parts of the West Bank last summer over heated objections from his own Likud Party, was breathing with the aid of a ventilator after doctors operated to stop the bleeding in his brain.

In Washington, President Bush offered praise for Sharon in a speech on Thursday.

"We pray for his recovery," Bush said. "He's a good man, a strong man. A man who cared deeply about the security of the Israeli people, and a man who had a vision for peace. May God bless him."

Daniel Ayalon, Israel's ambassador to the United States, compared Robertson's remarks to the overheated rhetoric of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. (Full story)

He called the comments "outrageous" and said they were not something to expect "from any of our friends."

"He is a great friend of Israel and a great friend of Prime Minister Sharon himself, so I am very surprised," Ayalon told CNN.

Robertson, 75, founded the Christian Coalition and in 1988 failed in a bid for the Republican presidential nomination. He last stirred controversy in August, when he called for the assassination of Venezuela's president, Hugo Chavez. (Full story)

Robertson later apologized, but still compared Chavez to Hitler and former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in the process.

The same month, the Anti-Defamation League criticized Robertson for warning that God would "bring judgment" against Israel for its withdrawal from Gaza, which it had occupied since the 1967 Mideast war.

Robertson said Thursday that Sharon was "a very likable person, and I am sad to see him in this condition."

He linked Sharon's health problems to the 1995 assassination of Israeli leader Yitzhak Rabin, who signed the Oslo peace accords that granted limited self-rule to Palestinians.

"It was a terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, now he's dead," Robertson said.

Rabin was gunned down by a religious student opposed to the Oslo accords. The killer, Yigal Amir, admitted to the crime and was sentenced to life in prison.

Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, criticized Robertson's comments Thursday, saying the televangelist "has a political agenda for the entire world."

"He seems to think God is ready to take out any world leader who stands in the way of that agenda," Lynn said in a written statement.

"A religious leader should not be making callous political points while a man is struggling for his life," he said. "I'm appalled."

Ralph Neas, president of liberal advocacy group People for the American Way, said "it is astonishing that Pat Robertson still wields substantial influence" in the Republican Party.

"Once again, Pat Robertson leaves us speechless with his insensitivity and arrogance," Neas said in a written statement.

According to The Associated Press, Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of people who criticized the comments: "What they're basically saying is, 'How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?'"

"This is what the word of God says," Watts told the AP. "This is nothing new to the Christian community."

Platinum Poster

typical...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Veteran Poster

ole Patty boy sure has issues

I think he is so "out of it" that he just spouts off then goes back and tries to do damage control.

I am suprised it hasn't had more effect on his minsteries. After basically damning a City, calling for someone to be killed, damning a community, and now saying Sharon's condition is all in his God's name. His idea of God isn't even in league with most Christianity. But then again most of Patty boy's followers are of the BLIND Faith variety. Probably more of the BLIND, DEAF, and DUMB followers if the truth be known.

To a more skepticial mind it might suggest that there is no god, for Pattyboy still sucks air, because if there was one or more then they would have smited him by now.

Harmless_pervert

Sorry if i offended ye, no wait I am not sorry, being offended is your problem not mine.

I say Festivus for the rest of us!

Veteran Poster

So when Pat Robertson quotes scripture, it's a mortal sin to progressives. Yet, when a school principal in Afghanistan, is beheaded for teaching classes for girls, and his wife and 8 children are forced to watch, where are the libs then? I left the damn dem party because of it's hypocritical ways. Looks like nothing has changed.

Veteran Poster

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the left J>"YOU FUCKING IDIOT". You are a bunch of chicken-shit cowards, who will gladly jump on any Christian's statements, but don't have the balls to criticize the islamists or the wahabbi's for anything they do or say.

sometimes i feel that some of these posters are lost......the 700 club is 3 doors down the hallway and to the left.....

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy
    So when Pat Robertson quotes scripture, it's a mortal sin to progressives. Yet, when a school principal in Afghanistan, is beheaded for teaching classes for girls, and his wife and 8 children are forced to watch, where are the libs then? I left the damn dem party because of it's hypocritical ways. Looks like nothing has changed.

What are you talking about? Liberals and Democrats endorse beheading??? I personally don't know ANYONE (liberal, conservative, democrat or republican) that thinks beheading a school principal is OK. (Unless maybe he was teaching a school of terrorists?)

When did this beheading take place?

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaddy
    He didn't quote scripture. At least not in that article.

Unless "God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'" is scripture. Funny, I don't seem to remember that line from the bible.

Maybe it's from "The Gospel of Pat".

Who said Pat Robertson endorses beheading?

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell