Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Norway shooter traumatizes nation, up to 98 dead

How does a guy get away with this?

There was nobody around to stop this? unreal..

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, was arrested after Friday's massacre of young people on a tiny forested holiday island that was hosting the annual summer camp for the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labour party.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, sharing the shocked mood in this normally safe, quiet country of 4.8 million, said: "A paradise island has been transformed into a hell."

Breivik, a Norwegian, was also charged with the bombing of Oslo's government district that killed seven people hours earlier. If convicted on the terrorism charges, he would face a maximum of 21 years in jail, police said.

Breivik had belonged to an anti-immigration party and wrote blogs attacking multi-culturalism and Islam, but police said he had been unknown to them.

A video on the YouTube website promoting a fight against Islam apparently shows pictures of Breivik, wearing a wetsuit and pointing an automatic weapon.

The district attacked in Oslo is the heart of power in Norway. But security is not tight in a country unused to such violence and better known for awarding the Nobel Peace Prize and mediating in conflicts, including the Middle East and Sri Lanka.

Home-grown anti-government militants have struck elsewhere in the past, notably in the United States, where Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with a truck bomb in Oklahoma City in 1995.

Witnesses said the gunman, wearing a police uniform, went on a prolonged shooting orgy on Utoeya island northwest of Oslo, picking off his prey unchallenged as youngsters scattered in panic or jumped in the lake to swim for the mainland.

A police SWAT team eventually arrived from Oslo, 30 km (19 miles) away, to seize Breivik after nearly 90 minutes of firing, acting police chief Sveinung Sponheim told a news conference.

"We don't know yet" if he acted alone, Sponheim said, adding that Breivik had surrendered immediately and had confessed. He defended the time it took to arrive, saying there were delays with getting a boat.

"THIS IS PURE EVIL"

Sponheim said 85 people were known to have died in the shooting and seven in the Oslo bomb blast. The overall death toll could reach 98 if some missing people proved to have died.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipad-art-wide-pg8-anders-1-420x0.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	410067  

Last edited by bat1; 07-24-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Default Re: Norway shooter traumatizes nation, up to 98 dead

Rampage... talk about a killing spree

The Gods will do for no man, what he can do for himself.

Professional Poster

"Maximum of 21 years in jail?" WTF?

I do understand not having a death penalty, but there is no way a man like this should ever walk free again.

5 Star Poster

i knew things were bad over there from what i have heard there are some very nasty groups over in Norway

live with honour

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    "Maximum of 21 years in jail?" WTF?

I do understand not having a death penalty, but there is no way a man like this should ever walk free again.

I heard a local prosecutor say he'll most likely end up behind bars for the rest of his life. Considering his crime and plea, he'll probably be deemed a threat for the rest of his life.

"That's what i thought you said."

Senior Member Professional Poster mikelpo's Avatar

Absolute cunt and should die like one

Apparently he was a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson.

Very strange!

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helvis2012 View Post
    I heard a local prosecutor say he'll most likely end up behind bars for the rest of his life. Considering his crime and plea, he'll probably be deemed a threat for the rest of his life.
    I heard something like that. If he does his 21 years according to the law, what procedure would they use to keep someone locked up for an undetermined period of time?

He should be executed after conviction. It's an insult to give this guy such a light sentence. How many months per victim? So wrong.

Senior Member Professional Poster mikelpo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo View Post
    Apparently he was a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson.

Very strange!
    I fucking love clarkson! But that doesn't give me the divine fucking right to go out and murder 90 odd innocent people including 80 odd helpless kids!

I know, it makes you wonder about the other so called 'connections' we're seeing in the media. He read George Orwell's 1984 for example. So have millions of other people. They're not killers.

Reading Orwell, or watching Top Gear, doesn't make someone believe that they have the divine right (or any right) to go out and murder innocent teenagers.

So when we read in the newspapers that Breivik read Fjordman's book, for example, or that he likes Lacoste T-shirts, the question arises: so what? If anyone saying that doesn't provide an actual direct link between what they're saying and what happened, then I think it's safe to assume that's because there isn't one.

Sadly this lunatic is just one more in a long, long list.

Check out 'spree killer ' on Wiki.

Last edited by Niccolo; 07-26-2011 at 03:13 AM.