Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Re: are you in for or against the death penalty

wow that will work lol.i'll go and rob a bank and then go to church and then do the same thing next week. we need you in Australia Trish to make the laws ,every con in the land would vote for you

live with honour

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Do what the Church does to repeat offeders, have them confess their sins, mumble some incantation and absolve them.
    I thought they made them Pope?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    I don't have the time or the inclination to dispense with all of Faldur's biblical references... Trish, Lets get one thing perfectly clear.. You can find as many quotes and verses supporting it as opposing.. Faldur, I think my statement spoke for itself, I did not say the bible supported the death penalty, I stated you can find as many supporting arguments as opposing. When Jesus stated in Rev 13:10, "He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.", I think you can consider this as a supporting statement.

To make a hand-waving statement "The Golden Rule!", (or another on the hit parade is "the greatest commandment" in Mathew), is a display of ignorance of who Jesus was. I encourage you to read about Jesus's involvement in battle of Jericho.

I disagree that religion belongs anywhere in the debate of "Caesar's laws". It is a choice if you make it a moral guide in your decision process. But at the end of the day its man's decision to make, yes or no.
    I thought Joshua "fit" the battle of Jericho __ Jericho...in 1400 BCE.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I thought Joshua "fit" the battle of Jericho __ Jericho...in 1400 BCE.
    I believe you have that about right. The passages to look at would be Joshua 5:10-15. I'm really not trying to hijack this thread with biblical debate, only point I was trying to make was IMO religion should be outside of the death penalty discussion.

I take it you're claiming Jesus is the Captain of the Lord as well as His Son, kind of a time-lord appearing fourteen hundred years before he was born?

Last edited by trish; 07-20-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I take it you're claiming Jesus is the Captain of the Lord as well as His Son, kind of a time-lord appearing fourteen hundred years before he was born?
    I'll let you formulate your own opinion on that one, pretty sure you could guess mine.

Well I just tried to guess yours and I'm not sure I got it right. Enlighten us, so that we might know the true nature of Jesus.

Well I just tried to guess yours and I'm not sure I got it right. Enlighten us, so that we might know the true nature of Jesus.
    This thread had a good discussion going and I've taken it a direction I am sure no one wanted to go. Im going to shut up now.. I feel a Christian can be either for the death penalty or against it, and find adequate literature in the Bible to back themselves up.

But a link just for you Trish

Last edited by Faldur; 07-20-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

so what is to be done with repeat violent offenders? i am all for putting them out the middle of nowhere and leaving them there and in Australia we have a lot of the middle of nowhere

Until Peter Falconio and his girlfriend show up..the 'middle of nowhere' is one of the most lawless and roughest parts of the world...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Any sort of retribution (from vandalism to murder) carried out by individuals, families, tribes and clans can lead to an "endless cycle" of escalating crimes.
    As I tried to point in an earlier post citing 'blood revenge' among the Bedouin, I don't think this is true -I don't know enough about the Jewish tribes of ancient 'Israel' to know if the problem of endless revenge also caused them to find ways out of this; I doubt that it exists. I believe in Papua New Guinea, some tribes will end a violent feud by slicing off the top of their finger, a visible sign that the dispute has ended. The point would be that societies, ancient and modern, try to find a way of de-escalating personal conflicts that threaten the wider peace of the group(s).

Trish, I asked you if you think Freedom is more important than Life
    I meant, not what does a murderer think, but you –your judgement on capital punishment is the issue.