Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Women's Football

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    BBC3 is broadcasting the final in full this evening at 8:30. I'll be watching.

USA vs Japan. I thought it would be Germany vs Brazil, so it should be very interesting.

Sad that nobody from the US has posted on this thread, particularly when you have a very good team, and you've made the final.

Or is women's soccer just too girly for you?
    Maybe the few of us who watched the game are still pissed off at the colossal choke job of the US side. Dozens of squandered scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half, and an especially horrible and retched defensive lapse in front of their own goal after their first goal led me to try to purge any memory of that abortion of a game from my mind.

I'm not going to celebrate a team who wet the bed so badly. They had never, ever lost to Japan in 25 matches and had outscored them by like 70 goals. It's probably the biggest choke job in the history of all sports and I shan't be wasting any more of my life watching any putrid women's soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    In fact the opposite -my building is 'in a dip' at the bottom of a hill which means the surrounding buildings shut me out of the signal -I bought a Freeview box for the World Cup last year and had to take it back to the shop to get my money back as I couldn't get a thing out of it. SKY is apparently the only solution, but it means sticking a UFO on the outside of the building, and paying Murdoch's outfit £25 a month -no thanks.
    I trust it's not so much the monthly pony and more the fact that it would go to Murdoch that sticks in your craw, Stavros?

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by BBaggins06 View Post
    Maybe the few of us who watched the game are still pissed off at the colossal choke job of the US side. Dozens of squandered scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half, and an especially horrible and retched defensive lapse in front of their own goal after their first goal led me to try to purge any memory of that abortion of a game from my mind.

I'm not going to celebrate a team who wet the bed so badly. They had never, ever lost to Japan in 25 matches and had outscored them by like 70 goals. It's probably the biggest choke job in the history of all sports and I shan't be wasting any more of my life watching any putrid women's soccer.
    Hang on, just because the US lost a final that they should have won doesn't make all women's soccer putrid???

The quality of the women's game improves all the time, and the most heartening aspect of the recent world cup is that the vast gap in technique and stamina, that was so obvious only a few years ago, has been closed so that it is finally feasible for teams like Japan to reach the final and to match the US. Don't take your ball home just because your team lost.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I trust it's not so much the monthly pony and more the fact that it would go to Murdoch that sticks in your craw, Stavros?

The owner of the building is going to stick a UFO on the back of it and wire up the apartments, I don't know how he intends to get me to pay if he is asking for a sub. Maybe he will let us have it for free (we don't pay water rates, for example). I still would decline the offer, I just dont watch much tv compared to most people. I read, surf, and watch films -and football if its on.