Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: The Murdoch Empire's Greatest Test

I think what Fox News provides is more entertainment than journalism - if entertainment is the right word for pandering to the audience's negative emotions. The question that is often asked in Australia is why do politicians and the rest of the media continue to treat the Murdoch media according to the standard journalism conventions when much of what they do looks more like partisan advocacy.

On another note, I see that Rupert is reported to have called off his latest engagement because he discovered that his fiancee was too much of a right-wing religious nutter. Talk about reaping what you've sowed.

filghy2 Silver Poster

The political influence of the Murdoch media definitely seems to be declining in Australia, probably because their partisanship has become too blatant. The Labour party was won a string of federal and state elections over the past year, despite strident opposition from the Murdoch media. The conservative Liberal/National parties now govern only in Tasmania. They have lost a bunch of previously-safe urban seats because well-educated middle class voters have become disenchanted with their negativity on issues like climate change, 'culture wars' and government integrity.

One similarity with the US is that neither the conservative parties nor their media backers show any sign of listening to the voters and changing their ways. Both seem too afraid of alienating their support base to stop pandering to their grievances. Unfortunately for them this doesn't work so well in Australia because we have an impartial electoral system and judiciary, so it's impossible to gain power without appealing to the majority.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

We have a settlement:

Dominion, Fox News settle defamation suit for stunning $787M, averting trial

http://www.yahoo.com/news/dominion-f...205038134.html

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by blackchubby38 View Post
    We have a settlement:

I don't think anyone is that surprised, as Murdoch is a coward and has done this before, mostly with the phone hacking scandals in the UK, where cases are still going through the Courts. I wonder if Dominion didn't just go for the money, but require Fox to make a statement that cannot be buried in the middle of a programme at 3am. I even wonder, though I guess its a fantasy, if Murdoch will sack Carlson and Hannity. He did shut down the News of the World as noted above, but also as noted above I guess Fox News is too close to his American heart. But will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next few days. That said, there are the other cases, Smartmatic, for one.

This show ain't over yet, folks...

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I don't think anyone is that surprised, as Murdoch is a coward and has done this before, mostly with the phone hacking scandals in the UK, where cases are still going through the Courts. I wonder if Dominion didn't just go for the money, but require Fox to make a statement that cannot be buried in the middle of a programme at 3am. I even wonder, though I guess its a fantasy, if Murdoch will sack Carlson and Hannity. He did shut down the News of the World as noted above, but also as noted above I guess Fox News is too close to his American heart. But will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next few days. That said, there are the other cases, Smartmatic, for one.

This show ain't over yet, folks...
    If Murdoch is going to make a blood sacrifice and fire one of the on-air personalities, I think its going to be Maria Bartiromo. I don't think the recent stories about her coming out is a coincidence. She also is probably the least popular of the 4 (Hannity, Carlson, and Ingraham being the other 3) and their wouldn't be push back from Fox News viewers if she was let go.

Personally, I would love to see Carlson and Ingraham be the ones to be made an example of.

But if someone is going take the fall, I thinks its going to be the CEO of Fox News, Suzanne Scott. I think this is from Rupert Mudoch's deposition:

"I appointed Miss Scott to the job and delegate everything to her".

That sounds like someone who is about to be walked up to the metaphorical gallows.

filghy2 Silver Poster

We have a settlement:

What puzzles me is why they didn't settle earlier, before all the damaging revelations came out.

And if Dominion were in so strong a position, could they have got closer to the $1.6bn they originally wanted? The shareholders, which includes funds owned by the States of Wisconsin and Alaska, don't seem too bothered, so I assume that unless the share price takes a tumble, victims in this will be the individuals, of the kind blackchubby has identified above. After all, consider how much the value of Twitter has taken a dive since Musk took over, but it is still there.

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    And if Dominion were in so strong a position, could they have got closer to the $1.6bn they originally wanted?
    Historically, these cases have been hard to win, and Fox could have strung it out for a long time with appeals. Dominion exists to make profits, not to perform a public service, and they literally decided a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush.

That said, it's a pity they didn't insist on an on air apology/retraction as a condition of the settlement. They will probably be more careful about egregiously damaging another business, but Fox will just go back to gaslighting its audience, as they are doing on this settlement.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

In related news, Lachlan Murdoch has decided not to pursue a defamation case against an Australian news site that described the Murdochs as an unindicted co-conspiritor in the January 6 riot. No doubt they were worried the case might lead to further embarassing exposures.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ghty-news-corp

If Murdoch is going to make a blood sacrifice and fire one of the on-air personalities, I think its going to be Maria Bartiromo. I don't think the recent stories about her coming out is a coincidence. She also is probably the least popular of the 4 (Hannity, Carlson, and Ingraham being the other 3) and their wouldn't be push back from Fox News viewers if she was let go.

Personally, I would love to see Carlson and Ingraham be the ones to be made an example of.

But if someone is going take the fall, I thinks its going to be the CEO of Fox News, Suzanne Scott. I think this is from Rupert Mudoch's deposition:

"I appointed Miss Scott to the job and delegate everything to her".

That sounds like someone who is about to be walked up to the metaphorical gallows.
    Two down, how many more to go? If not precisely as you predicted.

It is claimed that the lawsuit being brought by the producer of Tucker Carlson Tonight, Abby Grossberg is a prime cause. If her revelations about Carlson are aired in Court, I guess Rupert can at least claim 'he no longer works for us' -but I also read that Carlson was close to Lachlan Murdoch so that suggests a rift in the family, but also a vice-like grip on decision making from the Dirty Digger. There have been rumours that Elizabeth and James are not as right-wing as Rupert or Lachlan, but until the old man is dead and his will is read, if it confers title on his successor that aspect of this is just not clear -will Fox continue to support Trump if no other strong candidate emerges this year?
    Tucker Carlson was abruptly fired from Fox News on Monday morning in direct order from Rupert Murdoch (yahoo.com)