Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rookie Poster

Default Re: Anyone here have TIVO??

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer
    Im thinking of getting it. I hear its a bitch to hook up. anyone here pleased with it?
    ReplayTV is a superior product. Look for the 5000 series, rather than the current 5500 series. The 5000 has the best for commercial skipping technology.

Veteran Poster

I feel you Brickcity, but even though Tivo can now record in HD look at the cost difference. While a Tivo HD box will set you back $350 plus, while the Comcast box is $5 a mere month (no money down), that includes the HD programming along with a plethora of On Demand programming. Once you buy the HD Tivo and pay the monthly fee for Tivo you still have to add in extra cost for HD programing (except local channels).

As a Mac user, the Comcast box is way better and easier to link to my computer. One firewire and I can run my video content easily in QuickTime and iTunes and convert it to any other format.

I guess for me, the way I see it the Tivo box does nothing that the Comcast Motorola box doesn’t (except maybe the Fandango thing, but I’d never use that in a million years). The cost is the biggest factor, zero down and $5 a month verses $300 plus down and $12 (plus programming) a month…

The Media Center PCs aren’t a bad option but most users really don’t ever hook the PC to a real TV. The Sony VAIOs with TV inputs works incredibly well. If people actually used their PVRs to the fullest, they would see how great that option is. I actually built a media PC that is about the size of cable box that has more hard drive space than any box on the market. It was relatively easy to build. I just have found that Macs handle HD editing and recording 100 times better than PCs. HD software for a PC is very expensive, while even the cheapest Macs handle HD editing and recording out the box. There is a Mac version set top box that is awesome but with my Motorola box, I just don’t see the need to spend more loot.

Hey, no fight from me. I’m not saying the Motorola box is better than Tivo, just that they are damn near the same thing. The differences are so slight that I can’t justify paying that much more money.

On top of that, I found the satelite dishes are not as good as the cable option in my area. Tivo doesn't work well with a lot of the newer cable boxes at all.
    [/i]

Fancy meeting you in here Kramer!

Get the Tivo. It's great!

Junior Poster

I have the DVR through Time Warner Cable and I cannot imagine not having it. It is only $7 a month. TIVO is good butyou have to but it for $100 and there is a bigger monthly fee. They do provide some more features but for me not enough for the $$$ difference. They are really easy to hookup.