Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Poster

Default Anyone here have TIVO??

Im thinking of getting it. I hear its a bitch to hook up. anyone here pleased with it?

I have a Media PC which lets me use it like a TIVO as a digital video recorder and it comes with a free program guide that lets you find and record programs 14 days ahead. I can then burn the shows to DVD if I want to watch them somewhere else.

I'm pleased with it. But I had to be a bitch to hook it up LOL

FK

Veteran Poster

Thanks Felicia.

Im glad our different political views didnt stop you from helping me out.

Rookie Poster

I have TIVO and since getting it I dont think I can watch television without it. As for hooking it up it came together with my cable box all in one so it was very easy, not sure about separate boxes but I'm sure it cant be too bad.

I have TIVO. I don't know what issues you've heard about with connecting it to your TV or other equipment. But I have a professional grade set up and was able to intergrate it without so much as a crossed signal.

As for the service itself. It is beyond worth the money. Imagine being able to command what shows come on and when. Imagine you're a Sci-Fi buf (or any genre) and instead of hearing about that Farscape special you didn't know was coming on - its already sitting in your TIVO - waiting for you to watch it.

Now I have a dual tuner set top. So I can literally, watch one program as TIVO either watches or records - TWO DIFFERENT CHANNELS.

P.S. - You can like other DVRs pause, rewind and fastforward live TV.

And finally, TIVO does have commerical skip (You need a Series II box a lil key inputting).

It beats all other DVRs hands down and by about a mile.

nuff said.

Veteran Poster

If you can get the Motorola box through your cable company go that route. It allows you to record in HD. Plus it is only $5 a month, no money down ans nothing to purchase. That included the HD programing, TIVO doesn't offer that.

The cool thing is, if you have a Mac, you can download programs straight your hard drive.

Range - Not to fight but listen:

Tivo has HD boxes as well. But wait there's more as I received updated programming on my set top.

TiVo Inc. now gives you on the screen access to Fandango allowing you to buy movie tickets. It is also accessing local content like news and local weather. All for NO extra charge.

Tivo has already started shipping its own Wireless G USB Network for $50 list! Why would they do such a thing? BECAUSE of Tivo to go which lets you bounces movies/programming from one set top box to another, or to your pc (for viewing) or to your IPOD! Which is crazy when you really think about it. The MPAA should be damn near in total shock and amassing troops at TIVO;s headquarters. P.S. - Replay TV has essentially admitted defeat on set top boxes - but my sources say that a PC set up is close to being in marker 1Q of '06.

I think that's enough. I appreciate what cable is doing - especially Comcast. But TIVO wins against any other DVR solution - Hands down. Even more so if coupled with satellite - though remember DirecTv with Tivo is not a fully compliant Series II option and will not have 'TO GO' functionality 'directly' downloaded - thought I believe a 'work around' is out there in the wild.

Rookie Poster

I am a long time TiVo user...and going to peoples house without it and watching TV is unbearable...no bullshit. Way easy to hook up, especially with a basic set up.

As far as the more advanced features that brickcitybrother is speaking of....the things are amazing. I have mine hooked up via a wireless USB to my computer...with lets me view movies stored on there, listen to MP3's (the TiVo is also hooked to the stereo), and view pictures on my TV. With digital cameras being the way they are...its tough to have 5 people look at a computer screen to see a pic....but very easy to sit 5 people on a couch & check out a alblum. It is also possible to burn the TiVo programs to a DVD from your computer. (easy file conversion)

Highly recommened.

Veteran Poster

Thanks alot people, you are very helpful. Have a good new year!

for some reason it never took off here in the UK, lack of backing and advertising i guess. but the whole concept of tivo is great i think.