Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster

Default Naomi Campbell + chocolate = ?

What do you guys think of Naomi Campbell's reaction to the Cadbury's chocolate ad that featured the tag line:

'Move over Naomi, there's a new diva in town' ?

Is that even racist? It seems like a bit of an overreaction to me - surely they are commenting on her diva behaviour rather than her skin colour...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ry?INTCMP=SRCH

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Naomi Campbell + chocolate = ?

I do think Cadbury was indeed playing on the multiple meanings of the word "chocolate." That, to me, is pretty obvious__but it's not racist. It was apparently, if inadvertently, insensitive. Cadbury could've easily checked with Naomi to see if she would find it offensive, but they were probably afraid she'd asked a fee for the right to use the Naomi brand in their ad...since her consent could be considered an endorsement of the product. Naomi probably sees a chance now to make a buck and increase her publicity.

I have no idea how this would play in U.K. courts. If you didn't know about the kerfluffle and heard the ad, 'Move over Naomi, there's a new diva in town,' would you assume Naomi was consulted and endorsed the ad? If the use her name in an ad is generally construed or legally construed as an endorsement, she may have a case. In the U.S. I don't believe companies are allowed to "fake" endorsements as celebrities expect to get big money for the use of their names in ads.

Last edited by trish; 05-31-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Campbell is taking legal advice on the next move. One way of looking at this is to understand that 'Bliss' was launched last year and has not become a brand leader or even a recognised brand, they needed to generate publicity for the product -the assumption being people would understand that only one diva can rule the market-place. Second, Cadbury have used black people before when promoting their brands, and it doesn't take much of a leap of the imagination to understand why the ad doesn't say 'Move over Claudia there's a new diva in town' or more likely 'Move over Cheryl' given the latter's new role as the 'nation's sweetheart'. Campbell herself is also in a weak position for a lot of reasons, in spite of the fact that she has come a long way from dismal south London. Could it be part of the campaign to undermine the status of a celebrity? I am offended by it, because I don't think as Cadbury say it was a 'light-hearted' ad, which they have now withdrawn anyway. I have raised this issue of using the word 'chocolate' when referring to black people, I would have thought we could get beyond it, but apparently not.

I'm not sure she can get anywhere legally; it's not like her image or full name was used.

If I said - 'move over Johnny, there's a new pirate in town' we all know who's being insinuated, but his name is never used...

Yes, Naomi Campbell is a famous black woman, but she's also a notorious litigious-hungry super bitch lol. And Cadbury's doesn't really need to generate new publicity - that stuff sells itself

I don't think it was racist, but I do think it was dumb!

There are many other qualities chocolate has that could be equally linked to someone like Naomi - not just it's colour...

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

There are many other qualities chocolate has that could be equally linked to someone like Naomi - not just it's colour...
    Insinuating everyone knows how Naomi tastes would get them in worse trouble.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Seems like make-work for lawyers.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Yes, Naomi Campbell is a famous black woman, but she's also a notorious litigious-hungry super bitch lol. And Cadbury's doesn't really need to generate new publicity - that stuff sells itself

I also think there are times when people 'have a go' at a celebrity just out of resentment. I would not be surprised if NC and other 'supermodels' and pop singers fall victim to the hype they hear every day; they get to the point where they dont need to wait for a bus in the pouring rain, because there is a car to take them wherever they want whenever they want; private planes, free meals, and so on. NC has shown errors of judgement, that's her look out, but I don't see a need for the character assassination.

Cadbury is afraid of losing market share which is why they ran the ad, plus some English eccentrics were outraged that an American company we in the uk associate with cheese should have bought it. Cadbury was one of those Quaker institutions that gave capitalism its 'caring image' -viz Bournville, the village built for cadbury employees. As chocolate goes, I don't like it anyway; I prefer mine Swiss. But its better than that revolting American sludge called 'Hersheys'....

Yeah I don't particularly like chocolate either, but I know plenty of girls who are addicted to the stuff lol...

I think 'litigious-hungry super bitch' is actually a pretty accurate representation of her character - not an assassination...

Celebrities do become an easy target for cynical piss-takers, but it's the one's who do nothing to help themselves by showing even a shred of humility that deserve a bit of an eye opener (not saying NC is necessarily one of these)...

5 Star Poster

i love cadburys

live with honour

Cadbury have now issued a formal apology to Naomi Campbell
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...mi-campbell-ad