Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation STUDY: Watching FOX News Makes You Stupid

Fox News Makes You Stupid?

STUDY: Watching FOX News Makes You Stupid

A new study shows that viewers who get their news from Fox News are the most misinformed in the country.

World Public Opinion, a project managed by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, conducted a survey of American voters that shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources. What’s more, the study shows that greater exposure to Fox News increases misinformation.

So the more you watch, the less you know. Or to be precise, the more you think you know that is actually false.

Got that?

It should be noted that the cablesphere did not do terribly well in general: "CNN and the broadcast network news operations fared only slightly better in many cases. Even MSNBC, which had the best record of accurately informing viewers, has a ways to go before it can brag about it."

It should also be noted that the focus of this study was how much misleading information was presented to the public "following the first election since the Supreme Court has struck down limits on election-related advertising." Answer: a whole lot.

Default Re: FOX NEWS INSIDER: “Stuff Is Just Made Up”

Whats the point of this?
    There's supposed to be a point?
    I thought this thread was just an excuse for Natina to paste in a bunch of crap that's too big for the screen.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    I thought this thread was just an excuse for Natina to paste in a bunch of crap that's too big for the screen.
    Amen..

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    LMAO...It's Johnny Same Song ( aka Silcc) . You've been beating this horse for about a year now . I'll be honest...when I saw Media Matters I didn't even bother reading the text. What would the point be? They have no journalistic credibility... You of course understand that Media Matters is funded and exists for one reason and one reason alone...and it's not about opinions or journalistic standards. ....It's To bring Fox News down. That's why they're funded to the tune of millions by Soros and must please thier master. That is the sole reason for their existence. Please tell me you know that, and you're not an ignoramus. Now there's nothing illegal with what they do, but don't ya think that an organization that exists for one reason may just be a tad bias...ya think? LMAO.

If you want a bona fide example of somebody who makes stuff up...how about Dan Rather? Surely you recall that ......and he was and remains a liberal. Or how about another big Lib Rick Sanchez? Or Edward R. Olbermann ? Or the NY Times reporter Jason Blair and Steven Glass? Or big lib Jew hater Helen Thomas? Or David Schuster? That honor roll has 2 things in common...they're all progressive, and they were shitcanned for questionable ethics.

I think if this is all you got...it's pretty weak. Bring more to the table next time. Why can't you accept the fact that Fox is the largest cable news network by far ? Why can't you accept that one of the reasons they are growing so fast is that most of the other media slants far left and Fox takes a right perspective. Why can't you be content with the fact every major newspaper in the country save the WS Journal slants left, as do the 3 major networks, as do CNN and MSNBC. How much more media do you want? Look...get over it ...Fox News is here to stay. Accept that and move on. You're becoming repetitive and predictable. You're really an impressionable young dude. Do some independent research before trusting an outfit like Media Matters.

ROFLMAO good ole onmyknees with and even more predictable reply. Right on schedule as for the other ones slanting left CNN isn't even that left. But I would'nt have issues with Faux if they didn't outright lie about being fair and balanced. More like extremely biased to the right,

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america

Lightbulb exposure to Fox News makes voters stupid, university study finds

exposure to Fox News makes voters stupid, university study finds

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/1...voters-stupid/

The troublesome record of spin by conservative television station Fox News has long been a cause for concern to many Americans, who frequently allege that the nation's most viewed "news" network has the effect of dumbing down voters.

Turns out, they were right.

A University of Maryland study (PDF) published earlier this month found that people in the survey who had the most exposure to Fox News were more likely to believe falsehoods and rumors about national and world affairs when compared to those who paid attention to other news outlets.

In a summary carried by Alternet, the following falsehoods were most relayed by Fox News viewers:

91 percent believed the stimulus legislation lost jobs;

72 percent believed the health reform law will increase the deficit;

72 percent believed the economy is getting worse;

60 percent believed climate change is not occurring;

49 percent believed income taxes have gone up;

63 percent believed the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts;

56 percent believed Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout;

38 percent believed that most Republicans opposed TARP;

63 percent believed Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear).

The poll's findings seem to sync with those of an NBC News survey (PDF) taken during the height of America's health care reform debate, where Fox News viewers were found to be most likely to have believed wildly inaccurate interpretations of the legislation.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    Gawd Damn Hippy....break out the expensive brandy and the fancy glasses...we're about to have a toast . We actually are in agreement. I may stop posting now ! LOL...

catherinefan

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    ...and it's not about opinions or journalistic standards. ....It's To bring Fox News down.
    How could anyone possibly bring Fox News down, onmyknees? There simply is no lower level than where they are right now!

We are so lucky here in Europe. Fox News is on every available satellite here, but fortunately not FTA. So, people don't have to watch this unbalaced garbage.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

There is a patronosing element to this which reminds me of the 1992 election campaign in the UK: the day after Labour failed to defeat the Conservatives, The Sun -a tabloid paper which was pro-Conservative, printed the headline: 'It was The Sun wot won it'. However proud of themselves they might have been, the question is do tabloids create political opinion or reflect it? The truth is that people did not trust Labour, The Sun undoubtedly played on this fact, but could not change it one way or another. The Conservatives lost election after election because they were divided, perceived to be weak, had a lack of credible leaders: the press didn't have to make it up. I have never seen Fox news, but I doubt it creates opinion and by doing so 'makes people stupid' - which is a feeble shorthand for saying 'the poor without an education don't think like those us wot been to university'. If the news is there, editorial selection aside, Fox will report it, but my guess is it is 'preaching to the converted' rather than taking people's minds by storm and transforming them into Republican Clones. Nobody forced anyone to watch it.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catherinefan View Post
    How could anyone possibly bring Fox News down, onmyknees? There simply is no lower level than where they are right now!

We are so lucky here in Europe. Fox News is on every available satellite here, but fortunately not FTA. So, people don't have to watch this unbalaced garbage.

Really.....well it depends what your defination of "low" is...if you hold them in low regard, that's your prerogative...But how on earth could you possibly expand your mind if you listen to the same dribble that you agree with day in and day out? Your basically a cheerleader. Here's the deal...40% of Americans identify themselves as conservative, and have had to put up with the bias of the networks and CNN for years. Additionally...I ran through the cable channels ( and remember Fox News is a cable outlet) this weekend. Fox's cable competition, on one channel had the ever popular reruns of "Lock Down" and the other had a puff piece on Michelle. Fox had an actual anchor doing actual news.

If however your definition of "Low" is ratings...than frankly you don't know what the hell you're talking about. There are nights in Prime Time when Fox News approaches the audience of the 3 major networks and that's pretty astounding considering that they're only in a small fraction of homes as the major networks.

And if that wasn't enough...here's this.....CNN has an analyst named Farheed Zukaria . This dude is on giving his opinion on everything from the middle east to fiscal matters on every show on every day. Nothing wrong with that...he's a news analyst...right? Well......We recently find out quite by accident that he had been advising Obama on policy for some time. Now I don't know what journalism school you attended, but by any standard that's needs to be disclosed lest the public thinks he's impartial as he has attempted to pass himself off as.. Get it? That's just one of many reasons why CNN's audience is shrinking and Fox's in increasing. Deal with it...or you can always look for Olbermann on channel 989 right near QVC! LMAO

Last edited by onmyknees; 05-17-2011 at 02:30 AM.