Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Default Re: Transsexuals in the 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by theone1982 View Post
    That's really cool that you can trace it back that far.
    English parish records and therefore family records can go back as far as early Norman times - the village where I live now is mentioned in Domesday Book (1086), it received the Royal Charter in 1207 allowing an annual fair which still happens every September. I live in a much newer part of the village called Newtown - it was named thus in 1380! Oh, and there's a full-blown castle at one end of the high street too.

Different in Scotland, where most church records were destroyed during the Protestant Reformation in the 1550s and 1560s. We were only able to track back because my father's family were wealthy merchants in fish and timber, hence the Scandinavian connection, and we used the property records. We still own half a castle in Fife - the other half fell down lol.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

I am digging the 70's look. I think chicks just looked hotter back then, they look more natural and just healthy.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    English parish records and therefore family records can go back as far as early Norman times - the village where I live now is mentioned in Domesday Book (1086), it received the Royal Charter in 1207 allowing an annual fair which still happens every September. I live in a much newer part of the village called Newtown - it was named thus in 1380! Oh, and there's a full-blown castle at one end of the high street too.

Different in Scotland, where most church records were destroyed during the Protestant Reformation in the 1550s and 1560s. We were only able to track back because my father's family were wealthy merchants in fish and timber, hence the Scandinavian connection, and we used the property records. We still own half a castle in Fife - the other half fell down lol.
    That's awesome! My family has just basically been traced back to around the Civil War(The American one, not the English one) I had an ancestor that fought for the north and was in the infamous Andersonville prison in the south.

That's awesome! My family has just basically been traced back to around the Civil War(The American one, not the English one) I had an ancestor that fought for the north and was in the infamous Andersonville prison in the south.
    Did he survive? It was the template for the concentration camps that the British set up during the Boer war for Boer civilians and then developed to deadly effect by the nazis in the 1930s and 1940s.

Dreadful conditions of hunger, disease and ill-treatment - more than 25% of all prisoners died.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andersonville.jpg 
Views:	4568 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	391315  

Gold Poster

Did he survive? It was the template for the concentration camps that the British set up during the Boer war for Boer civilians and then developed to deadly effect by the nazis in the 1930s and 1940s.

Dreadful conditions of hunger, disease and ill-treatment - more than 25% of all prisoners died.
    Actually, he did. That made it all the more interesting to me, because I knew how many people didn't leave there alive. I didn't know that it was a template for the camps used in the Boer War. I knew the camps in the Boer War were the template for the Nazi camps, but I wasn't aware it went back to Andersonville.

Actually, he did. That made it all the more interesting to me, because I knew how many people didn't leave there alive. I didn't know that it was a template for the camps used in the Boer War. I knew the camps in the Boer War were the template for the Nazi camps, but I wasn't aware it went back to Andersonville.
    Oh yes, the Brits had observers with both armies, and, despite what you may have been led to believe, they tended to sympathise with the south up to the Emancipation Declaration, because a huge part of the textile industry in the north of England was essentially dependent on southern cotton. Plenty of well-founded scares that the Brits would mount invasions south from Canada.

Gold Poster

Oh yes, the Brits had observers with both armies, and, despite what you may have been led to believe, they tended to sympathise with the south up to the Emancipation Declaration, because a huge part of the textile industry in the north of England was essentially dependent on southern cotton. Plenty of well-founded scares that the Brits would mount invasions south from Canada.
    Yeah, I was aware of the British sympathy for the South. That's a really important consequence of the Emancipation Proclamation that people don't really hear about, it gave other countries something to support the north over. A British invasion during the Civil war, that would definitely have been interesting!

Here's a vid, that not only has girls from the first half of the sixties, but contains star Jayne Mansfield.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Yeah, I was aware of the British sympathy for the South. That's a really important consequence of the Emancipation Proclamation that people don't really hear about, it gave other countries something to support the north over. A British invasion during the Civil war, that would definitely have been interesting!
    Yep, imagine the Canadian border as far south as Pennsylvania, which was one of the aims.

Yep, imagine the Canadian border as far south as Pennsylvania, which was one of the aims.

Thanks Yoda - come on One, let's get back to the sex.