Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast

Default Re: Constant Conservative Ron Paul...

Rookie Poster

the convention in Tampa this year should be interesting to say the least, Ron Paul 2012

Rookie Poster

yup, Ron being consistent, nothing new here, there is no way he will support Obomney

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    yup, Ron being consistent, nothing new here, there is no way he will support Obomney
    I don't know how consistent he is, and ideological consistency is good. However, often people use the word consistency to describe those whose opinions are not sensitive to the emergence of new facts.

I can say, regardless of his consistency, he would be more of a disaster as a president than any of the candidates running for the Republican nomination. He wants to abolish most government agencies I think, not provide government sponsored healthcare for anyone apparently as it is an infringement on the rights of those receiving it, and to cut off foreign aid to all countries. Only the last policy is sensible in the abstract but the execution would be tricky. He also wants to return the U.S to the gold standard, which would shrink the money supply so quickly and exacerbate the economic crisis so badly we might never recover. There are those here who know more about this than I, but is there any way that returning to the gold standard would not be a disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I don't know how consistent he is, and ideological consistency is good. However, often people use the word consistency to describe those whose opinions are not sensitive to the emergence of new facts.

I can say, regardless of his consistency, he would be more of a disaster as a president than any of the candidates running for the Republican nomination. He wants to abolish most government agencies I think, not provide government sponsored healthcare for anyone apparently as it is an infringement on the rights of those receiving it, and to cut off foreign aid to all countries. Only the last policy is sensible in the abstract but the execution would be tricky. He also wants to return the U.S to the gold standard, which would shrink the money supply so quickly and exacerbate the economic crisis so badly we might never recover. There are those here who know more about this than I, but is there any way that returning to the gold standard would not be a disaster?
    Ron Paul seems to be ideologically consistent. That's either good or bad depending on whether or not you agree with his ideology.
    He'd dismantle a big chunk of government. You've gotta think: what's two steps behind government? Powerful corporations. Is that a good thing?
    Ron Paul has never addressed: who will pay for schools, roads, bridges etc, etc. But he'd most likely say State governments. (Again, his beef is with the Federal government.)
    Does he really believe in absolute capitalism? Meaning no government intervention whatsoever. What will that entail? I mean, these are profound questions that would have serious consequences.
    Police are government workers. What would happen to them? And doesn't a public police force impede price and market forces? Again, questions that should be addressed. The same with the fire department.
    Should the military essentially become private? And who would it serve?
    Governments create markets. Governments regulate markets. Governments create corporations.
    I mean, how far does Paul intend to go? Full-tilt into unfettered capitalism? Would we have a kind of Social Darwinism?
    Would the country become mean-spirited and further divided?
    These are serious questions. I mean, we'd have a big experiment, as it were, under a Paul presidency.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post

at least I know that Ron Paul as president would attempt to do what he preached on his campaign trail unlike all the other phonies who say one thing then as soon as they are elected do a 180 degree turn, he might get a bullet in his head or die in a plane crash heaven forbid for attempting to do so but at least I know he would attempt to serve the people and not himself, I do not believe he would abolish all government agencies but it would be a very slow process if he even had the chance to attempt such a feat, Ron would also try to free up ALL forms of medicine and allow ALL healers to heal (true free market) not this current medical monopoly (disease management not treatment) that we currently call US healthcare, the US is in trillions of debt which keeps climbing at a record pace yet the militarism and foreign aid does not stop, its not sustainable in the long term, I don't think the answer has to be returning to a gold standard and ending the fed over night, the US should just takeover the fed and the issuance of currency and kick the banksters out of their temples