Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stonewall

Rude Gurl Professional Poster Yvonne183's Avatar

Default Re: Stonewall

Even in NYC as late as the 70's being a tgirl could get one arrested. Here is a link to a short story about Lee Brewster. Lee was one of the people fighting for the rights of people who wanted to dress as the opposite sex back in the 60's and 70's. I knew Lee from the store Lee's Mardi Gras. A very warm and caring person.

http://www.gaytoday.com/garchive/events/052500ev.htm

A movie about the girls that paved the way for me and other tgirls to be able to live the way we want. Stonewall was gone by the time I went out in NYC.

I'm the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide.
    Then suddenly everyone knew me.

By the way, Yvonne, I wasn't belittling this thread when I posted Stonewall Jackson - I was just facing an open goal and couldn't resist.

As we all should, I salute the courage of those people who dared to take on the establishment's values back then.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    By the way, Yvonne, I wasn't belittling this thread when I posted Stonewall Jackson - I was just facing an open goal and couldn't resist.

As we all should, I salute the courage of those people who dared to take on the establishment's values back then.

I'm sorry Robert, I didn't make my post in response to yours. I like funny posts, they keep the conversation moving. I just responded cause I knew someone who was actually there in the battle field for rights and I found it such a privilege to have know Lee and this topic gave me the chance to show my love for him and the credit he deserves.

Robert, I hope you didn't think I was upset in any way,, I like the fun and laughing that goes on in this forum, nothing wrong with that.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Respect to your friend Lee and his part in the fight for light....

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne183 View Post
    I'm sorry Robert, I didn't make my post in response to yours. I like funny posts, they keep the conversation moving. I just responded cause I knew someone who was actually there in the battle field for rights and I found it such a privilege to have know Lee and this topic gave me the chance to show my love for him and the credit he deserves.

Robert, I hope you didn't think I was upset in any way,, I like the fun and laughing that goes on in this forum, nothing wrong with that.
    Thanks Yvonne. I didn't actually think you'd be upset, I guess, just wanted to let you know that I support you on this.

Christ, this is getting a bit like a love-in, we'll be thrown out of the forum for being too nice!

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Martin Duberman's book Stonewall is also worth looking at, particularly the chapter on Silvia Rivera whose life story is amazing (hooking from the age of 11) -she points out that 'light drag' was more common in public than the full regalia now worn as normal, and was also there on the night. Stonewall the club is still there, I paid a disappointing visit there about five or six years ago. Duberman was also responsible for a superb collection of essays on 'gay history': Hidden From History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past (Penguin, 1991) edited by Duberman, Martha Vicinus and George Chauncey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Martin Duberman's book Stonewall is also worth looking at, particularly the chapter on Silvia Rivera whose life story is amazing (hooking from the age of 11) -she points out that 'light drag' was more common in public than the full regalia now worn as normal, and was also there on the night. Stonewall the club is still there, I paid a disappointing visit there about five or six years ago. Duberman was also responsible for a superb collection of essays on 'gay history': Hidden From History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past (Penguin, 1991) edited by Duberman, Martha Vicinus and George Chauncey.
    The club that is there today must be a rebirth or a new club cause when I lived there the space was occupied by a men's clothe store, I think it was clothes. There was no club there in the 80's.

respect, gratitude and reverence to those people who fought for freedom. They made so much of what I love and take for granted in life possible.

This girl is so hot!!!!! even her voice is beautiful
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	live-a-normal-life.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	403243  

Rookie Poster

No worries, RobertLouis...my mind went the same place....Gettysburg anniversary coming up next weekend....might have been different if Bobby Lee had his "right arm!"

As far as that corner where Stonewall was, last time I was down in Sheridan Square there was a club there....stage shows, etc.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Its still there, as it always was...

http://www.thestonewallinnnyc.com/Home_Page.html