Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Re: Grim's PC Repair Thread

I did finally get a good PC if anyone is shopping for a new one. My Dell XPS8300 with Windows 7 has worked great and is so much better than my old HP crap with Windows Vista. I also have the Kapersky Security Software. It wasn't fee but it's worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by south ov da border View Post
    I got one. In my firefox I keep getting random windows that don't pop up but show up only when I check on my open program bar and I don't know where they are coming from. It'll be like for amazon or some other thing. I can't figure where the infection is. What do you suggest???
    Try RogueKiller. It's kinda like HijackThis, but much more detailed.
    Let it load.
    Click the Scan button.
    When it's done, click the Report button.
    Copy the text file contents and paste it into pastebin.
    Copy the link and chuck it at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I did finally get a good PC if anyone is shopping for a new one. My Dell XPS8300 with Windows 7 has worked great and is so much better than my old HP crap with Windows Vista. I also have the Kapersky Security Software. It wasn't fee but it's worked well for me.
    Have you thought about upgrading your HP to Windows 7 and keeping it around as a clunker or backup? Usually if a computer will run Vista, it'll run Windows 7 more responsively... but you could ensure that with a cheap-ass RAM upgrade.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrimFusion View Post
    Have you thought about upgrading your HP to Windows 7 and keeping it around as a clunker or backup? Usually if a computer will run Vista, it'll run Windows 7 more responsively... but you could ensure that with a cheap-ass RAM upgrade.
    I kinda have. Still have it packed away inside. That's good advice. Thanks for keeping this thread alive. This and the weed thread are today's best. Jack Palance also agrees.

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Never liked PCs. I used a range of Macs - presently five of them (two lap tops, two desk tops and a Ipad)

Quote Originally Posted by south ov da border View Post
    Not bad. I only see one entry there that I'm a little worried about, but it's not what's causing the new-window-popup issue in Firefox.

As far as the popups go, I don't think it's due to any kind of malware. There are a few options to prevent the popups, even though they're harmless as far as I can tell.

In Firefox, open the Options menu.
    In the Tabs section, there should be an option labeled "Open new windows in a new tab instead". Check it and click OK.
    There's also an addon for Firefox called QuickJava. It allows you to disable Java, JavaScript, CSS, flash, and images on the fly. I usually configure it so only the Java and Javascript buttons are visible.

I always block Java because I don't mess with very many web apps or online browser-based games. JavaScript is the culprit, though. JavaScript is the reason why these webpages are getting around your popup blocker and opening advertisements in new windows. Problem is, A LOT of websites use JavaScript and most of them are perfectly reputable, so you're only going to want to disable JavaScript if you're browsing through sites you don't trust.

So, getting back to RogueKiller... load it back up. Instead of scanning again, click the ProxyFix and DNSfix buttons.
    Now do a scan and wait until it finishes.
    Check under the Proxy tab.

If this line still exists:
    [PROXY IE] HKCU\[...]\Internet Settings : ProxyServer (150.140.184.110:312 -> FOUND
    Check it, then make sure no other entries are checked and click the Delete button.
    Reboot for success and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Never liked PCs. I used a range of Macs - presently five of them (two lap tops, two desk tops and a Ipad)
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Macs don't encounter problems nearly as often as PCs that run Windows. I just don't see the point in buying overpriced hardware just for the operating system, especially when there are free alternatives that are just as secure (Linux).

It used to be that Macs were better for art and design work, audio editing, and video editing. Not so much anymore. Since Apple switched to using Intel architecture, the only remaining difference between PCs and Macs is the operating system.

I don't like OSX because there's not enough customization options without using third-party software or having to learn UNIX command-line. It's far too WYSIWYG. If there is a software or hardware issue, a system restart is the most common fix-all. Under Windows, there's some sort of GUI utility for everything, and that bloats the fuck out of any Windows installation, but I prefer that to forcing users to learn and use a command-line to change most OS settings because most users wouldn't bother with that.

south ov da border, Another thing you may want to look at for Firefox and Java
    is an Add-on called No Script.