Oral perfectionist Professional Poster

Default Remember the Goodwill Games?

Does anyone remember the Goodwill Games?

The Goodwill Games was an international sports competition, created by Ted Turner in reaction to the political troubles surrounding the Olympic Games of the 1980s. In 1979, the invasion of Afghanistan caused the United States and other Western countries to boycott the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, an act reciprocated when the Soviet and other Eastern Bloc countries (with the exception of Romania) boycotted the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

The first Games, held in Moscow in 1986, featured 182 events and attracted over 3,000 athletes representing 79 countries. World records were set by Sergey Bubka (pole vault), Jackie Joyner-Kersee (heptathlon), and both the men and women's 200 m cycle racing, by East Germany's Michael Hübner and the Soviet Union's Erika Salumäe, respectively. World records also fell at the 1990 Games in Seattle, to Mike Barrowman in the 200 m breaststroke and Nadezhda Ryashkina in the 10 km walk.

The 1994 Games were held in Saint Petersburg, Russia, in the first competition since the Soviet Union had been replaced by fifteen independent republics. Russians set five world records in the weightlifting section, and the games were the first major international event to feature beach volleyball, which would appear at the Olympics for the first time at the 1996 Atlanta Games. Ted Turner's last games were in 1998 in New York City, with memorable highlights including Joyner-Kersee winning her fourth straight heptathlon title, and the U.S. 4x400m relay team setting a world's best time.

The games were later bought from Turner by Time Warner Australia, who organised the Brisbane 2001 Games, before announcing that it would be the last. The 2001 edition witnessed Australia win the most medals with 75, but it received very low television ratings in the United States. Nevertheless, critics praised Turner Network Television for showing the games live, rather than on tape delay.

A TGirl is very special.
    She is a gift to be treasured.

Banned - Long overdue. Junior Poster

Default Re: Remember the Goodwill Games?

I remember them and I miss them. I remember they would be about 2 years before the olympics (staggered). I used to watch the swimmig because it would usually be a good indication of who was gonna be going head to head at the olympics. Exciting stuff

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

I used to love watching them...

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

Nowadays we get the World Athletics Championships and the European Championships between the Olympics, but there's no single event which captures all the diverse sports which make up the unique festival that is the Olympics.

However, athletes' personal peaks and cycles are now loaded against the Olympic timeframe or some other personal event target, and it is already very difficult for organisers to squeeze another major tournament in.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

I have always been a fan of olympic type sports events. Winter and summer. They are real amateurs doing their best. No one is paid so the competition comes from the heart and not the $$$.

A TGirl is very special.

Default Remember the Goodwill Games

He does not play PS2 games and I already have two games skate, snowboard Shaun White and Tony Hawk games .. Are there BMX, motocross, surfing, snowboarding games, or any other type of extreme sports games?

Didn't they have both winter and summer events? I seem to recall that the Red Wings player Sergei Federov defected during the Goodwill games.

Junior Poster

maybe we could bring it back but this time with pre-op TS's from different countries competing in a series of sporting challenges. It could be called the .......Goodwilly Games

I'll get my coat ............

Quote Originally Posted by reformedcharacter View Post
    maybe we could bring it back but this time with pre-op ts's from different countries competing in a series of sporting challenges. It could be called the .......goodwilly games

i'll get my coat ............
    lmao!

A TGirl is very special.