Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jesus as an openly gay man...

Jesus as an openly gay man

What if the newly found codices provided evidence of Jesus's same-sex activity? Michael Ruse imagines the implications.

The most astounding finding from the newly discovered lead codices is that Jesus Christ was unambiguously and openly gay. He and his disciples formed a same-sex coterie, bound by feelings of love and mutual support. There are recorded instances of same-sex activity – the "beloved disciple" plays a significant role – and there is affirmation of the joys of friendship and of living and loving together.
    A whole new complexion is given to that rather puzzling passage where Jesus exhorts his followers to break family ties: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14, 26). It seems clear now that this is less a negative repudiation of family and more a positive exhortation to join in affirmation of a gay lifestyle and love.
    There is at least one new parable, that of the two young men. There are clear echoes of the relationship between David and Jonathan, for Jesus speaks of one young man having his soul "knit with the soul" of the other, and loving him "as his own soul". Intriguing is evidence that the Catholics might be closer to the truth about the status of Mary, the mother of Jesus, than are the Protestants. She has a much bigger role in the life of Jesus than many hitherto expected, with Jesus frequently returning home and making much of her.
    Conversely, there is at least one incident when Jesus quarrels violently with Joseph, who shows great hostility and makes wild claims about "manliness". Before, one might have thought that, given Mary's virginity, Joseph's attitude was reflecting the ambiguities of his status in the family; but now it seems more probable that we have here a classic example of the Freudian triangle: over-possessive mother, hostile father, gay son.
    Why have we known so little about all of this before? A newly discovered Pauline epistle, appropriately to the Athenians, suggests a major Platonic influence, particularly of the Republic. The classically educated Paul, who was himself gay, saw that same-sex activity was inimical to the success of Christianity in the highly homophobic societies in which he lived. Hence, same-sex affections and activity were concealed, to be known to and practised by only the leaders in secret – the guardians of Christianity as one might say. Obviously, this is a tradition that has flourished and lasted. It is not by chance that John Henry Newman is being made a saint.
    Finally, the most important news is that nothing in the newly discovered codices challenges in any way the essential message of Christianity. Jesus was the messiah; he died on the cross for our sins; and through his death and resurrection made possible our eternal salvation. Our overriding obligation is to love God and we do this by loving our neighbours as ourselves. Christianity will never be the same again. Christianity will go on completely unchanged.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Jesus as an openly gay man...

Jesus as gay is not new -Kenneth Anger filmed it (badly of course) in the 1960s; when the Dead Sea Scrolls were being analysed, Jesus became a Hippie and his disciples the Essene equivalent of some wacky 1960s Haigh Ashbury love-in; then along came the Jesus-didnt-die brigade: Jesus survived the cross, went into hiding, started a family -all of course a secret kept by an exalted group and handed down from one exalted generation to another; or Michael Moorcock in 'Behold the Man' where Jesus was in fact an extra-terrestrial time traveller who, unhappily, crash landed in the vicinity of Nazareth during the rule of Caesar Augustus...
    I will leave some space for the next set of useless interperations of writing which is hard enough to translate into English, never mind contemporary political correctness...

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Do you mean to say there are people who don't know Jesus was gay??

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Do you mean to say there are people who don't know Jesus was gay??
    Yup there are...

Gold Poster

I've heard this before. The argument for it I heard was at the time of his death Jesus was still unmarried, which was completely out of the ordinary for Jewish men at that time to be that old and still not married. It's possible. I mean, if you really look at it, the New Testament is really more of a work by Paul rather than Jesus or his disciples. Paul set the standard for many of the rules and regulations of Christianity in the period between Jesus's death and the council of Nicaea under Constantine.

Ben, you are quite the little provocateur aren't you I don't agree with your world view on pretty much anything. however, I do enjoy your posts and appreciate your obvious intelligence - I have no idea if Yashua was gay or not but the codices are crude fakes. checkout some real scholars takes on the subject.

http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2011/04/...le+Feedfetcher

http://michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabbl...odices-update/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Jesus as an openly gay man

What if the newly found codices provided evidence of Jesus's same-sex activity? Michael Ruse imagines the implications.

The most astounding finding from the newly discovered lead codices is that Jesus Christ was unambiguously and openly gay. He and his disciples formed a same-sex coterie, bound by feelings of love and mutual support. There are recorded instances of same-sex activity – the "beloved disciple" plays a significant role – and there is affirmation of the joys of friendship and of living and loving together.
    A whole new complexion is given to that rather puzzling passage where Jesus exhorts his followers to break family ties: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14, 26). It seems clear now that this is less a negative repudiation of family and more a positive exhortation to join in affirmation of a gay lifestyle and love.
    There is at least one new parable, that of the two young men. There are clear echoes of the relationship between David and Jonathan, for Jesus speaks of one young man having his soul "knit with the soul" of the other, and loving him "as his own soul". Intriguing is evidence that the Catholics might be closer to the truth about the status of Mary, the mother of Jesus, than are the Protestants. She has a much bigger role in the life of Jesus than many hitherto expected, with Jesus frequently returning home and making much of her.
    Conversely, there is at least one incident when Jesus quarrels violently with Joseph, who shows great hostility and makes wild claims about "manliness". Before, one might have thought that, given Mary's virginity, Joseph's attitude was reflecting the ambiguities of his status in the family; but now it seems more probable that we have here a classic example of the Freudian triangle: over-possessive mother, hostile father, gay son.
    Why have we known so little about all of this before? A newly discovered Pauline epistle, appropriately to the Athenians, suggests a major Platonic influence, particularly of the Republic. The classically educated Paul, who was himself gay, saw that same-sex activity was inimical to the success of Christianity in the highly homophobic societies in which he lived. Hence, same-sex affections and activity were concealed, to be known to and practised by only the leaders in secret – the guardians of Christianity as one might say. Obviously, this is a tradition that has flourished and lasted. It is not by chance that John Henry Newman is being made a saint.
    Finally, the most important news is that nothing in the newly discovered codices challenges in any way the essential message of Christianity. Jesus was the messiah; he died on the cross for our sins; and through his death and resurrection made possible our eternal salvation. Our overriding obligation is to love God and we do this by loving our neighbours as ourselves. Christianity will never be the same again. Christianity will go on completely unchanged.
    Well, as a theory that knocks The Da Vinci Code into the long grass. And it's a lot better written too lol.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

If Jesus was openly gay, those swishy Romans probably would have let him slide.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

There was also a famous poet who in the 1970s wrote a piece about a homosexual erotic encounter involving Jesus which was published in the UK paper gay News - and which led to his prosecution for Blasphemy. Thankfully times have moved on - though I wouldn't give much for the chance of survival of anyone who write something similar about Mohammed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2499721.stm

The Love That Dares To Speak Its Name
    By James Kirkup

As they took him from the cross
    I, the centurion, took him in my arms-
    the tough lean body
    of a man no longer young,
    beardless, breathless,
    but well hung.

He was still warm.
    While they prepared the tomb
    I kept guard over him.
    His mother and the Magdalen
    had gone to fetch clean linen
    to shroud his nakedness.

I was alone with him.
    For the last time
    I kissed his mouth. My tongue
    found his, bitter with death.
    I licked his wound-
    the blood was harsh
    For the last time
    I laid my lips around the tip
    of that great cock, the instrument
    of our salvation, our eternal joy.
    The shaft, still throbbed, anointed
    with death's final ejaculation

I knew he'd had it off with other men-
    with Herod's guards, with Pontius Pilate,
    With John the Baptist, with Paul of Tarsus
    with foxy Judas, a great kisser, with
    the rest of the Twelve, together and apart.
    He loved all men, body, soul and spirit. - even me.

So now I took off my uniform, and, naked,
    lay together with him in his desolation,
    caressing every shadow of his cooling flesh,
    hugging him and trying to warm him back to life.
    Slowly the fire in his thighs went out,
    while I grew hotter with unearthly love.

It was the only way I knew to speak our love's proud name,
    to tell him of my long devotion, my desire, my dread-
    something we had never talked about. My spear, wet with blood,
    his dear, broken body all open wounds,
    and in each wound his side, his back,
    his mouth - I came and came and came

as if each coming was my last.
    And then the miracle possessed us.
    I felt him enter into me, and fiercely spend
    his spirit's finbal seed within my hole, my soul,
    pulse upon pulse, unto the ends of the earth-
    he crucified me with him into kingdom come.

-This is the passionate and blissful crucifixion
    same-sex lovers suffer, patiently and gladly.
    They inflict these loving injuries of joy and grace
    one upon the other, till they dies of lust and pain
    within the horny paradise of one another's limbs,
    with one voice cry to heaven in a last divine release.

Then lie long together, peacefully entwined, with hope
    of resurrection, as we did, on that green hill far away.
    But before we rose again, they came and took him from me.
    They knew not what we had done, but felt
    no shame or anger. Rather they were glad for us,
    and blessed us, as would he, who loved all men.

And after three long, lonely days, like years,
    in which I roamed the gardens of my grief
    seeking for him, my one friend who had gone from me,
    he rose from sleep, at dawn, and showed himself to me before
    all others. And took me to him with
    the love that now forever dares to speak its name.

Last edited by Prospero; 04-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.