Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster NatashaLover's Avatar

Default Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera info

I want to upgrade my cam and was thinking of the Nikon D700, I know there are reviews out there but want a more personal review from a user. Does anyone in here have one of these? I want to know if this camera is worth the money?

"Flush Beats a Full House"

"Gold is not the only thing that shines baby!"

Default Re: Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera info

its worth its price in the end I like and find the D5000 or D90 a bit more practical. the D700 is also in FX format vs. being in DX format.

Living your dream! Just call me your superhero! JIX
    1/3 of the Legendary Trifecta called O ED & the Jizzzyyy...
    PeekyMcWatchmeFUCK!
    OEJTM-#DEGENERATES
    HBSF-FETC

The D700 is perhaps the best kept secret amongst pro and semi pro photographers. True that it is an FX format camera and the better lenses are significantly more expensive than similar range DX lenses. The only camera that comes close is the D7000 which I also shoot with and it's a little more than half the price of the D700. The D7000 also has really great video capabilities. What are you shooting with now?

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them. (Sherlock Holmes)

Junior Poster

What do you want to shoot in what lighting conditions? Do you want to make large size prints, or post online jpg's files?

The D700 is a great camera, but there are better camera's for less money for many types of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzz View Post
    The D700 is perhaps the best kept secret amongst pro and semi pro photographers. True that it is an FX format camera and the better lenses are significantly more expensive than similar range DX lenses. The only camera that comes close is the D7000 which I also shoot with and it's a little more than half the price of the D700. The D7000 also has really great video capabilities. What are you shooting with now?

I have a D80 and a Pentax K-x for regular trip use, and of course a Nikon PointnShoot, Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by wjcdiver View Post
    What do you want to shoot in what lighting conditions? Do you want to make large size prints, or post online jpg's files?

The D700 is a great camera, but there are better camera's for less money for many types of shooting.
    Cool like what other cameras? I am looking for lo lighting cond and to post online with high def.
    not looking for big size prints. I also want it to be excellent in color. Thanks for the info!

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Sorry, I'm a Canon guy...

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Sorry, I'm a Canon guy...
    Sorry, I am a Celtics Girl!

Rookie Poster

I have been shooting pro with Nikons since 1973. I would go with the D7000. The D700 has by computer standards, an old processor. It is still an excellent camera if you need a full frame sensor. Lenses for other Nikons like the D90, D80, D5000, D3000, D300 do not work on the D700. I still shoot with a D300, I haven't found any Nikon that does a better job in that price range.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaLover View Post
    Cool like what other cameras? I am looking for lo lighting cond and to post online with high def.
    not looking for big size prints. I also want it to be excellent in color. Thanks for the info!
    For low light the D7000 is the best low light camera value on the market. In terms of pure ISO performance it is on par with the much more expensive D700. The D7000 gives in spec ISO of 100-6400 vs. ISO 200-6400 for the D700. Both have maximum hi ISO of 25,600 - but at that level noise is very noticeable, but you can still get an image. Both can take basically every Nikon lens made, because they has an in body auto-focus motor and do not require AF-S or AF-I lenses to auto-focus.

If you want to maximize low light performance look at the Nikon 35mm f1.8 G lens - which gives a "normal" perspective, or a 50mm f1.8 AF-D, or 50mm f1.4 AF-S which is more portrait length (at 75mm equivalent.)

Cost wise the D7000 body is $1200, while the D700 is $2700. Also the D700 best uses FX lenses which tend to be larger, heavier and more expensive than comparable DX lenses. The D7000 can also act as the commander for Nikon CLS speedlights.

Another option to consider is the just released D5100 which is $899 with an 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR kit lens. It uses the same sensor as the D7000, and also gives ISO 100-6400 with hi2 ISO of 25,600. The key disadvantages of the D5100 vs. the D7000 are:
    - D5100 no in camera autofocus motor so you need AF-S lenses (or older AF-I) lenses for autofocus D7000 can use any Nikon AF, AF-D, AF-S or AF-I lenses and autofocus - (D700 also has an in camera autofocus motor)
    - Frame rate, the D5100 is 4 frames per second, the D7000 6 frames per second and D700 5 fps.
    - The D5100 has no built in Commander mode for Nikon CLS Speedlights, both the D7000 and D700 have it.

The D7000 also has more flexible (professional style) controls than the D5100. The D7000 is a better camera than the D5100, but the D5100 is an excellent value.

Note: Both the D5100 and D7000 have 1080p HiDef Video and a 16.2 Megapixel sensor, while the D700 has no video and a 12.3 MP sensor. Color an image quality on both the D5100 and D7000 is excellent.

There are many people who love the D700, but I find it tough to justify the price difference at present, given the D7000 capabilities. A replacement for the D700 was expected this year, but that is likely to be delayed into 2012 due to the the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear catastrophe. Nikon's major plant for high end bodies and lenses, as well as product development, is in Sendai - the closest major city to the 9.0 earthquake. The plant was not destroyed, but its power situation is a major problem - glass manufacturing requires absolutely reliable electric power. Full production is not expected before the fourth quarter of 2011 at the earliest.