Rookie Poster

Default At least it is a start??

City May Require Transvestite Bathrooms
    By MICHAEL ASTOR, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Dec 14, 12:20 AM

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - For most, it's a choice of the men's room or the women's. A Brazilian city is trying to give an option to those who don't fit easily into either category.

A bill passed by the Nova Iguacu city council on Tuesday would require night clubs, shopping malls, movie theaters and large restaurants to provide a third type of bathroom for transvestites. Mayor Lindberg Farias will decide whether to make it a law.

"A lot of lawmakers didn't want to deal with this issue, but it's a serious problem in society," said city Councilman Carlos Eduardo Moreira. "It's a way to put an end to prejudice."

Moreira, a 32-year-old policeman on leave from the force, said he got the idea when dozens of transvestites showed up for a local samba show.

"It was a real problem. The women didn't feel comfortable having them in the ladies' room, and the men didn't want them in their bathroom either," said Moreira, who is married and the father of two children. "I'm not doing this for my own benefit."

He said the "alternative bathrooms" could also be used by men or women who didn't mind sharing space with transvestites.

Moreira said there are nearly 28,000 transvestites in Nova Iguacu, a poor city of about 800,000 on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Moreira said many transvestites are reluctant to go out because there's no bathroom for them. And he denied that the cost of building a third bathroom would be a big problem for restaurant or club owners.

"It requires an initial investment, but after that, the establishment will end up making more money because it will have a larger public. And transvestites like to spend," he said.

The issue has divided gay groups; some feared it could segregate gays, while others said it recognized a problem within the gay community.

"At first we were against the law, but after some discussion we decided we had to support it because it addresses a real problem for a segment of the gay community," said Eugenio Ibiapino dos Santos, a founder of the Pink Triangle Association, a gay group in Nova Iguacu. "We see it as a way to open a discussion about civil rights."

Brazil is generally more tolerant of homosexuality than other Latin American countries, but discrimination still exists.

A study conducted by the Candido Mendes University in Rio de Janeiro found that 60 percent of Rio's homosexuals had met some type of harassment, and 17 percent said they had experienced physical violence.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Platinum Poster Hara_Juku Tgirl's Avatar

I personally think that its NOT completely neccessary being I myself for one could go use a womens bathroom without a problem at any establishment, any state and or country I have been in. Thankgod! LOL

But nevertheless, I think that would be a good Idea If you recall, back when the last hurricane hit and people got displaced one transexual got arrested and thrown into jail who went to use the women's bathroom at the shelter they were temporarily housed.

But its a matter of opinions. Some might say that might be some sort of segragation. Some Transexuals might not like that at all as it leaves them more vulnerable to "clocking" out in public places. I dunno I got a catch 22 feeling about this issue.

~Kisses.

HTG

Quote Originally Posted by FeeYuckYu
    Quote Originally Posted by Harajuku Tgirl
    I personally think that its NOT completely neccessary being I myself for one could go use a womens bathroom without a problem at any establishment, any state and or country I have been in. Thankgod! LOL
    ANY establishment? How about while under arrest or in the big house? Do you still get to use the women's facilities in those establishments?
    Hmm..LOL. Nice try. Very funny. That is the catch 22. See that's the thing. If you read what I wrote and understood it. I said some transexuals might be opposed to is as it will leave them open and vulnerable to being "clocked" out in public.

I never touched on about transexuals in jail. I think you were assuming a *WHAT IF* type scenario. Say for example a Transexual is put in jail..then I would so surely agree (As if I said I oppose it?)..Having a so called "Transexual bathroom/restroom" would be a good thing. In the big house i.e. "JAIL" where horendous crimes such as rape occurs. There should not only be a separate bathroom one's for transexuals to use but also a separate cell altogether.

But the article above clearly was saying and I quote "establishments like night clubs, shopping malls, movie theaters and large restaurants to provide a third type of bathroom". To which I was commenting on. The "Big house" wasnt even discussed. But you have good, strong and valid points right there.

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

Lmao. I think and Im right when I say its a case to case basis. If I was doing the interior of that Id put both? LOL. I know some trannies that swats others stands when peeing. Not me personally but Ive seen them do it too and Im not kidding.

~Kisses.

HTG

PS Sorry for the edit..Its late and I havent slept yet.

FYI a few universities here in Thailand have had 3rd sex bathrooms for several years.

DJ Asia