Rookie Poster

Default transgender Day of Remembrance

I confess I feel a bit ignorant to not have known of the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Trans and intersex individuals are particularly vulnerable to abuse, violence, discrimination, harassment, torture, economic discrimination, arbitrary arrest and detention, and other human rights violations, which are over-looked and often perpetrated by the police and other government officials. The 7th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20, 2005 served to memorialize those killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. In 2004, IGLHRC documented 71 murders of LGBT people, including murders that were specifically targeted at trans people in Chile, Brazil, Honduras, Argentina, Mexico, El Salvador, and Guatemala.

http://ec.gayalliance.org/articles/001392.shtml

Professional Poster

Platinum Poster

Default Re: transgender Day of Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO
    I confess I feel a bit ignorant to not have known of the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Trans and intersex individuals are particularly vulnerable to abuse, violence, discrimination, harassment, torture, economic discrimination, arbitrary arrest and detention, and other human rights violations, which are over-looked and often perpetrated by the police and other government officials. The 7th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20, 2005 served to memorialize those killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. In 2004, IGLHRC documented 71 murders of LGBT people, including murders that were specifically targeted at trans people in Chile, Brazil, Honduras, Argentina, Mexico, El Salvador, and Guatemala.

http://ec.gayalliance.org/articles/001392.shtml
    hey sparky, get back on the bench...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

Default Chanelle Pickett

I realize this is late, but let me honor one person:

Chanelle Pickett

I didn't know her; I knew her twin sister, Gabrielle Pickett, who used to hang out at Edelweiss about 7 years ago. Chanelle spoke to me very movingly and eloquently about what it was like to have her twin murdered by some guy, and for the Massachusetts courts to give the killer a slap on the wrist because the killer claimed he thought she was a woman and was shocked when Chanelle undressed, and that Chanelle went into some kind of hysterical rage, and that is was some kind of self defense. Of course the guy was a well known trannie chaser who routinely hung out in a tranny bar in Boston.

Her sister was devasted.

If anyone of you NYers on the scene know what became of Gabrielle, please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Junior Poster

Mega, Thanks for the information, but tonight I am devastated at that news. She was a wonderfuly, articulate, very intelligent person. I can't believe this.

The killer murdered two people -- Chanelle directly and what he did not Gabrielle indirectly.