Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Default Re: AT&T buys T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    and here's why the public will get fucked. this is all about cost cutting and eliminating competition.
    many of the rate plans that benefit consumers will be eliminated now that one less player is in the game. phone and gadget prices will eventually creep up.
    thousands of jobs will be eliminated as the new combined company eliminates redundancies. dozens of store fronts in Manhattan alone will be closed at a time when retail vacancies are at historic highs

now is there any good news ?
    Conglomeration is bad, mm'kay?!

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    American
    Totalitarian
    Tele-comunications

So much for competition.
    ... but it's OK for Grooby, right?

~BB~

Platinum Poster JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    There is still as much choice today as 10 years ago. Even after the acquisition we'll still have as many players as we did then.

With MetroPCS, Walmart Straight Talk, Walmart Family Mobile, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. Not to mention the MVNO's that didn't exist back then.

Besides, T-Mobile was only about 11% of the market and had no plans for any REAL LTE deployment.
    And if you think LTE deployment will be successful under the new AT&T/T-Mobile setup you're kidding yourself

no one will ever bet Verizon in LTE, period

DT wanted to dump T-Mobile and even if the FCC goes against this buyout the company still gets split up, a win for DT

snɯıʇdo snʇoʇ soʌ oloʌ

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

I don't know if ultimately it will be good or bad...I suppose it's where you're coming from. Stock holders from both companies seem to be elated, and AT&T is one of the most widely held stocks, so it's not just Wall Street insiders making some coin. Lots of pension and mutual funds hold that stock.
    Working in the indusrty, mergers and acquisitions are a way of life. It does no good to dream of the good old monoply days where everybody was just about guaranteed a 30 year career but there was no competition.

If as Flabby suggests it will ultimately cause us to have less choices as consumers, I suppose on balance that's not a good thing.

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    Conglomeration is bad, mm'kay?!

... but it's OK for Grooby, right?

~BB~
    Aww snap! Grooby is a mobile carrier now?

What kind of plan do they have?

Can i get Hazel Tucker moaning my name as a ringtone? And Grooby updates sent straight to my phone? Can i keep my old number?

Thumbs down Re: AT&T buys T-Mobile

Ok wow now i'm thinkin:

Remeber when T-Mobile use to be Voicestream? Verizon use to be Powertel, Cingular was Suncom?

Tmobile actually had pretty good prices on there rates. I can't believe this actually going down. Does the US Goverment not give a damn about monopolies anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel View Post
    And if you think LTE deployment will be successful under the new AT&T/T-Mobile setup you're kidding yourself

no one will ever bet Verizon in LTE, period

DT wanted to dump T-Mobile and even if the FCC goes against this buyout the company still gets split up, a win for DT

You're lost. T-Mobile had a snowballs chance in hell of competing in LTE which is why DT wanted to dump T-Mobile (they saw it too costly to follow through on any new technology even to the point of branding their fast 3G as 4G). Everyone knew that LTE for T-Mobile was cost prohibitive. So DT gets to save face, makes some nice coin and gets a stake in AT&T (not a bad deal for them). AT&T gets subscribers, subscribers, subscribers.

Barring some political grandstanding by a slimy politician ala john kerry, this deal gets quick approval. The carriers will make the same argument I have:

MVNO's
    MetroPCS
    Walmart Straight Talk/Family Mobile

And lets not forget, the cost of wireless has come DOWN over the last 10 years... this despite mergers and acquisition.

Last edited by PomonaCA; 03-21-2011 at 06:22 AM.
    "Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Professional Poster

I don't care about the cost. AT&T has had sh*t service and support forever. T-Mobile has not. It's a loss for both customers. I'm going to Verizon if this happens.

Also, people keep on forgetting: AT&T is using the money it could have invested in more towers, better hardware, better coverage, etc - on this merger. Imagine $39 billion in better infrastructure. Remember that when you have crap coverage two years from now.

Last edited by Nowhere; 03-21-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    You're lost. T-Mobile had a snowballs chance in hell of competing in LTE which is why DT wanted to dump T-Mobile (they saw it too costly to follow through on any new technology even to the point of branding their fast 3G as 4G). Everyone knew that LTE for T-Mobile was cost prohibitive. So DT gets to save face, makes some nice coin and gets a stake in AT&T (not a bad deal for them). AT&T gets subscribers, subscribers, subscribers.

Barring some political grandstanding by a slimy politician ala john kerry, this deal gets quick approval. The carriers will make the same argument I have:

MVNO's
    MetroPCS
    Walmart Straight Talk/Family Mobile

And lets not forget, the cost of wireless has come DOWN over the last 10 years... this despite mergers and acquisition.
    It's because the size of the market has increased exponentially and newer technology tends to be cheaper to operate than that which it replaced. Not to mention the fact that cellular service really was always overpriced to begin with.

~BB~

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    It's because the size of the market has increased exponentially and newer technology tends to be cheaper to operate than that which it replaced. Not to mention the fact that cellular service really was always overpriced to begin with.

~BB~
    That's ridiculous. Even poor people have cell phones now. And I'll disregard a novices opinion on wireless valuation. There's a difference between something being expensive and something being overpriced.

Big 4 Carriers are now offering UNLIMITED voice for under 70 bucks, with the MVNO's coming in with UNLIMITED for about $45 bucks on the Verizon network even. What did you get for 45 bucks 10 years ago? 400 minutes?

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

LOL

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    I don't care about the cost. AT&T has had sh*t service and support forever. T-Mobile has not. It's a loss for both customers. I'm going to Verizon if this happens.

I'm not offering testimony on AT&T's service because everyone knows it's shitty. The merging of the networks will help this to some degree but improving GSM coverage is not the aim of this merger. The aim is to save what's left of T-Mobile and AT&T gets subscibers.

Believe me, you all want this acquisition, you just don't know it. An independent T-Mobile would be bankrupt in 8 years. They don't own much 4g spectrum and they don't have the pockets to bankroll spectrum acquisition.... or at least they don't have the full participation of DT on that front. Verizon didn't want them because absorbing their technology would be too costly. Sprint couldn't afford them either.

LOL