When I was at school no one got punished for fighting. The teachers at break would just hide in the staff room and let us kill each other. three things in my opinion cause the problems with bullying in schools we see today.

1 the teachers can't beat the shit out of kids in school anymore. Kids knew there was a line not to cross and they feared certain teachers who would beat them. My mum taught in a school in the UK just before they got rid of corporal punishment in the late 1980's and she said bad behaviour and bullying got worse after the teachers couldn't use the cane. There was bullying back then,but it wasn't as extreme and was mainly stealing peoples lunch money.

2 the obsession with political correctness and pussified no dick teachers. In the past if this had happened the bully would have been told it served him right and to shut the fuck up. This blanket no violence policy stops teachers from using their own judgement and think for themselves. Schools have become far too feminised with not enough male teachers, this actually encourages bullying.

3 social networks, such as facebook and mobile phones ,being an essential accessory means bullying often happens outside the school as well.

Iam a police officer that now and again gets shouts to sort out which are to me quite minor problems compared to what else I have to deal with that should have been dealt with in school and really it is such overkill.The problem is rarely these problems can escalate and I do blame school system for not nipping the problem in the bud . Iam of the opinion that if possible children shouldn't be seeing police uniforms turn up unless absolutely necesscary , and I blame the school system for this. We are not social workers or teachers. Sometimes it is satisfying to put the fear of god into a bully but it really shouldn't be something I have to deal with when I could be eating cornish pasties and trying to catch milfs speeding on the way home.