Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Libya

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Libya

Wish I was on the pacific coast of the US for a plethora of reasons. But at least some of its sunshine is here... so welcome Jane.

I scanned the last few posts. no time to read all. But I DO take issue with the notion that radical islam is played out after 9/11. I have read Olivier Roy's most recent books and simply see evidene everywhere that he is wrong. Economic wealth can bring a surcease of such aspirations (the UAE has fe rumblings - even against its obvious autocrats) and nor does Qatar. As Stavros observes the Mosque has been a great focal point - or protest but also of social organisation. It could become that again in a chaotic post-Quaddafi Libya. And the Muslim Brotherhood have certainly been visible recently in Egypt. They took over Tahrir square for a vast demonstration only a couple of weeks ago.

And look at the growth of Radical Islamism in the Mahgreb, in Nigeria (yesterday's bombings) in Pakistan and - though pretty ruthlessly supressed - in central asia. It's an impulse and temptation that is far from run its course. But it isn't a simple thing to understand.

Senior Member Junior Poster NaughtyJane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    it sounds like you are going to be a welcome and interesting addition to this colourful pageant yourself jane. Nice to meet you here.
    (blush)

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I have read Olivier Roy's most recent books and simply see evidene everywhere that he is wrong

The point would be that Roy is indicating a trend -obviously a welcome trend -but that there are still enough Muslims over the age of 35 or 40 who haven't noticed their bus left the station. This suggests a generation struggle within any emerging 'Islamic republic' similar to what is happening in Iran. And wishful thinking on my part, I admit.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

There is certainly a generational struggle going on within islam internationally - and that is also evident in the UK where young second generation Muslims males are among the greatest reruiting ground for organisations like Hizb ut Tahrir (the party of freedom) which has been outlawed throughout the Middle East but not in the UK (Blair said this was for fear of simply driving it underground). They are a more sinister group than those led by clowns like Anjem Choudhary. I have met former members of this organisation and also former Jihadists who are involved in organisations to thwart its work and to help those tempted by these ideas back "into the fold' of the mainstream. Most Muslims are good people - nice people - and in the end ordinary people with the range of faults and strengths of the wider society. Radical islam is a tiny minority (but revoutions are often made by tiny minorities) and since 9/11 and, in the uk, since 7/7 MI5 and special branch have done a good job so far in monitoring any singificant threats. But it has not gone away. Militant islam (globally a minority) will NOT go away while key issues that it ralies around are resolved. (israel is an obviously one, but economic hardship is another, kashmir, the ruling family of Saudi Arabia, the persecton of maintream islam in Western China, in Chechnya, in Uzbekistan and the other central Asian 'stans, the growth of islamophobia in Europe - oddly much more profund than in the US). As i said its complicated and I would love to share your optimism Stavros. But this is a long story and is by no means played out. The Arab spring could mutate into an radical islamist summer.

Last edited by Prospero; 08-27-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Libyan capital under Islamist control after Tripoli airport seized:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...operation-dawn