Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Poster Brittany St Jordan's Avatar

Default Re: Tranny suicide rate

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    Can't help but wonder what role hormones play.
    If that were the case then genetic women would be offing themselves at the same rate.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    http://www.tglynnsplace.com/suicide.htm

The National suicide rate is 3 per 100,000 People. The Transgender Transsexual suicide rate is 31% of our group. Over 50% of Transsexuals will have had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. Even more self harm themselves daily either by cutting or self mutilation.

Sad, why is it so? It cant be just unequality, is it because its so hard for them to form a normal relationship with a straight guy? Or is it because of hormones and what they do to the brain? How can the girls be helped?

Hmmmmm, what's the suicide rate for left handed gay cripples?
    Or, to put it another way, the suicide rate is high amongst any marginalized group, compared to those considered 'normal'. (gotta be a better way of putting that?)
    I'd like to see the stats before I put any faith in them.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default question re trangender suicide rate

I've heard that the transgender suicide rate is really high.

Some conservatives in america use that as an argument that it's a mental disorder.

Is it possible that among the TSs that look reasonably good, the suicide rate is like the general population, whereas the ones that still look a bit iffy / not passable, have the really high suicide rate?

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Cynical Idealist 5 Star Poster Fitzcarraldo's Avatar

Default Re: question re trangender suicide rate

I imagine appearance is a very small factor. It's a complete life shift, met with essentially universal resistance--family, friends, employers, and society. Transition must be a very confusing process and the stress must be unimaginable. Rejecting the entirety of one's previous life has to feed self doubt.

"We can't seem to cure them of the idea that our everyday life is only an illusion, behind which lies the reality of dreams."--Old Missionary, Fitzcarraldo

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: question re trangender suicide rate

Transitioning isn't easy, can take a long time and a lot of money to achieve. Between hormone treatment, surgery, etc I would think it could be a pretty stressful experience, requiring a lot of mental strength and that's before taking into account the reaction of family, friends and random people to your decision. Imagine going through all that and you might begin to understand why suicide rates among transgenders are higher than the average in the general population

Please try to THINK and put yourself into other peoples shoes first before posting bollocks.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 02-11-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

I'm no expert on transitioning and the difficulties associated with it. But I have dated a few trans women and even had some long term relationships. From the few I have dated, their problems are all pretty much the same.

Imagine if you decided to change your life in some way. The all of your friends and family decided to suddenly abandon you and some of them make it very clear that they in fact hate you now. And all of this new found hatred comes from those you have felt nothing but love for all your life. That's gotta be hard to deal with.

Then imagine transitioning after you become an adult and established a great career. The suddenly for some unknown reason you find yourself laid off from your job. That's pretty tough. If you are strong willed, you puck yourself up and go hunting for a new job in your field. Then you find you are suddenly no longer qualified for a job you had previously made a good living off of. How can someone suddenly no longer be qualified for something they used to be very good at?

Imagine walking down the street hearing people say rude things like "That's a dude." Whlie that may not be such a big deal, it's got to be irritating when you hear it over and over again. The imagine grown men stopping just to bully you. And some of them even physically attacking you for no reason other than you are trans. They beat you up, and then you get a bill from the hospital that you can't afford to pay because you cannot find employment doing the exact same job you were getting paid well for before you transitioned.

Then you find out six weeks after the funeral that one of your parents have passed away. And the only reason you found is is because you decided to look at your cousins Facebook page and read about it there. Then you confront that cousin and get accused of stalking.

Imagine having a political group like Republicans or even worse the Alt Right telling you that your problem is a mental illness and you really need some kind of conversion therapy. Then you will be all better. How you could go on without at least shooting some of those motherfuckers in the motherfucking face is beyond me.

Then you come to the realization that you either cannot or will not transition back to being a man. Then you realize that you have lost everything you love and have worked for. Then you realize that this is your life from now on and feel a total sense of helplessness and worthlessness.

Could you go on? Could you?

These are only a few of what I have heard from dating trans women. The good news is that they are all alive and well today. But I have often asked myself if I could carry on like that. I try to tell myself that I could. But until I have walked a mile in their shoes, I really don't know if I could. But I can certainly understand why some trans women decide to give up. But that's just my opinion.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by gaysian71 View Post
    Re losing their job, is there any data on that?

Re friends and family abandoning them.. Isn't that the same with people that change religion, but they don't commit suicide.

Re cost, yeah I see that. But same with cancer patients.

Re people saying "that's a dude" in the street.. (during transition) I can imagine how that could be very traumatic. A)How long does transition take on average B)Do they tend to kill themselves during transition, or after? Still, even cancer patients don't commit suicide at such a rate, and they don't know for sure they'll be cured, in fact they know it can come back any time. Surely the worries are much worse for cancer patients, far worse than being teased or remarked upon while out, by strangers, what other people will think for a finite period of time. Given a choice between that and cancer, one would choose the being teased temporarily. Being bullied in school is a terrible thing, even worse than just when walking in the street and being remarked upon negatively, but cancer is worse. Yet cancer and bullying do not have anywhere near the suicide rate.

I guess after transition, the trauma of transition doesn't necessarily need to have a big impact on their life after transition. Like somebody that has been permanently cured from a terrible disease, and knows they wont get it again. If somebody is bullied horribly, they don't tend to commit suicide as adults.. Even in school they don't commit suicide at such rates. But after school, once it's over, they don't commit suicide for bullying that occurred in the past.

And if it's being bullied post transition where the suicides are, then, that'd support the thought I had that maybe it's the transitions that having completed, don't go well, so for the rest of their life they'll have people say "that's a dude". (Though even then, while it is for the rest of their life, it's fairly tame bullying compared to what happens to kids in school where they can't leave the school premises all day!).

0 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by jamesh123; 02-12-2017 at 04:28 AM.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaysian71 View Post
    I'm no expert on transitioning and the difficulties associated with it. But I have dated a few trans women and even had some long term relationships. From the few I have dated, their problems are all pretty much the same.

Imagine if you decided to change your life in some way. The all of your friends and family decided to suddenly abandon you and some of them make it very clear that they in fact hate you now. And all of this new found hatred comes from those you have felt nothing but love for all your life. That's gotta be hard to deal with.

Then imagine transitioning after you become an adult and established a great career. The suddenly for some unknown reason you find yourself laid off from your job. That's pretty tough. If you are strong willed, you puck yourself up and go hunting for a new job in your field. Then you find you are suddenly no longer qualified for a job you had previously made a good living off of. How can someone suddenly no longer be qualified for something they used to be very good at?

Imagine walking down the street hearing people say rude things like "That's a dude." Whlie that may not be such a big deal, it's got to be irritating when you hear it over and over again. The imagine grown men stopping just to bully you. And some of them even physically attacking you for no reason other than you are trans. They beat you up, and then you get a bill from the hospital that you can't afford to pay because you cannot find employment doing the exact same job you were getting paid well for before you transitioned.

Then you find out six weeks after the funeral that one of your parents have passed away. And the only reason you found is is because you decided to look at your cousins Facebook page and read about it there. Then you confront that cousin and get accused of stalking.

Imagine having a political group like Republicans or even worse the Alt Right telling you that your problem is a mental illness and you really need some kind of conversion therapy. Then you will be all better. How you could go on without at least shooting some of those motherfuckers in the motherfucking face is beyond me.

Then you come to the realization that you either cannot or will not transition back to being a man. Then you realize that you have lost everything you love and have worked for. Then you realize that this is your life from now on and feel a total sense of helplessness and worthlessness.

Could you go on? Could you?

These are only a few of what I have heard from dating trans women. The good news is that they are all alive and well today. But I have often asked myself if I could carry on like that. I try to tell myself that I could. But until I have walked a mile in their shoes, I really don't know if I could. But I can certainly understand why some trans women decide to give up. But that's just my opinion.
    Hmmm....On a bit of a slightly related side note, I know of only 2 transgender individuals in the white collar profession world. Both are MTF too and both seem to be quite satisfied with their current situation.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh123 View Post
    Re losing their job, is there any data on that?

Re friends and family abandoning them.. Isn't that the same with people that change religion, but they don't commit suicide.

Re cost, yeah I see that. But same with cancer patients.

Re people saying "that's a dude" in the street.. (during transition) I can imagine how that could be very traumatic. A)How long does transition take on average B)Do they tend to kill themselves during transition, or after? Still, even cancer patients don't commit suicide at such a rate, and they don't know for sure they'll be cured, in fact they know it can come back any time. Surely the worries are much worse for cancer patients, far worse than being teased or remarked upon while out, by strangers, what other people will think for a finite period of time. Given a choice between that and cancer, one would choose the being teased temporarily. Being bullied in school is a terrible thing, even worse than just when walking in the street and being remarked upon negatively, but cancer is worse. Yet cancer and bullying do not have anywhere near the suicide rate.

I guess after transition, the trauma of transition doesn't necessarily need to have a big impact on their life after transition. Like somebody that has been permanently cured from a terrible disease, and knows they wont get it again. If somebody is bullied horribly, they don't tend to commit suicide as adults.. Even in school they don't commit suicide at such rates. But after school, once it's over, they don't commit suicide for bullying that occurred in the past.

And if it's being bullied post transition where the suicides are, then, that'd support the thought I had that maybe it's the transitions that having completed, don't go well, so for the rest of their life they'll have people say "that's a dude". (Though even then, while it is for the rest of their life, it's fairly tame bullying compared to what happens to kids in school where they can't leave the school premises all day!).
    I gyess you're right. Trans women got it made in the shade. But had you read, I said these were things I was told by women I have dated. Sorry I didn't take a poll or make a spreadsheet to figure the statistics for what I have been told. All I can say is get to know some trans women and hear what they have to say.

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Hmmm....On a bit of a slightly related side note, I know of only 2 transgender individuals in the white collar profession world. Both are MTF too and both seem to be quite satisfied with their current situation.
    The economic theory of discrimination says that employers are most likely to discriminate when a job involves interacting with the public. The empirical evidence bears this out; there's a lot of discrimination in sales jobs. Take two people who go m2f. The introvert with the math degree will probably have no problem finding jobs. But the person who works in client relations may find their career coming to a screeching halt.

From what I've heard from people who experience discrimination, it takes a thousand forms and comes in small but constant doses. When they get hit with something big, like unemployment, they're already worn down and have less resilience. I don't think you can understand discrimination by comparing it to a single life changing event like cancer or religious conversion. And someone who is bullied in one area of their life is likely to have supportive relationships in other parts of their life.