Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tranny suicide rate

minority groups meaning transpeople. calm down

Quote Originally Posted by ed_jaxon View Post
    Specifically older white males
    yup...seems like the highest rate is for white males over the age of 85 (most people in my family don't even live that long naturally).

Quote Originally Posted by Helvis2012 View Post
    Actually, the suicide rate among white males is the highest in the United States.
    in the uk it's the homosexual community by my knowledge

Deal Wit It!

Quote Originally Posted by nonnonnon View Post
    minority groups meaning transpeople. calm down

Thanks professor.

"That's what i thought you said."

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

I don't think there is any one answer or attribute ie; "hormones" or "transition" but it would certainly be an area that seems to need some research. I think you'd also have to find the reasons (nature/nurture) why a person is a transgender.

I do not think there is just one reason though, although the cause in many could probably be traced back to marginalization by society.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Society loves to dictate what it determines to be relevant, right or wrong....it's society's reality. If you don't fit the mold....you could find yourself in a world of shit. There are many 'minority groups' that find themselves in this cesspool, not just transgender or gay people. If you don't fit the mold, you're fucked up, insane, anti-social and/or need rehab or intervention. Some are in this category because nature has managed to play a very mean joke on the recepient. Others were created by their society and are discriminated against, after their usefulness has expired. I suffer from that discrimination because my country trained me to be a ruthless and indiscrminate killer and now...they want me to live a 'normal' life and 'play well with others.'

As an 'older' (but nowhere near 85) white male, in the United States, I daily consider suicide as an option to prolonged hospitalization due to deteriorating health conditions. Hopefully, I still have some time to become immortal. I hate hospitals, won't stay in one, won't come to see you in one. To me, "quality of life" means complete independence. I guess I got off-topic, sorry.

Veteran Poster Brittany St Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CORVETTEDUDE View Post
    To me, "quality of life" means complete independence.
    I totally agree with you on that one. Fuck hospitals, let me die happy on a park bench.

Back to the topic of the post, my not-so-professional personal opinion that is based purely on unsubstantiated evidence and not documented in any medical journal or based upon any in depth study is that a lot of trans-folks get caught up in a continual cycle of "what if" and can't ever see the "what is." They are tormented by their own fears of what may happen if they try to live their life as TS person that it gives them debilitating insecurity about themselves. At that point it is only a smartass comment, strange looks from someone or an insult from a loved one that pushes them over the edge.

Many people believe that it would be better to be dead than ridiculed for being who they are. Those of us who have made it through and survived living life in a new gender role are examples why suicide should not ever be an option. As i was told in the Marines - suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Can't help but wonder what role hormones play.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

till we fucking overdose Gold Poster amberskyi's Avatar

when i was younger i had a serious problem with depression.at the age of 16 i had overdosed 4 times,been hospitalized is a psych ward 5 times,was a self-mutilator and drug user.
    i wont credit my transition for all my improvement but at the age of 21 when i was able to start taking steps to living my life as a woman my mental and emotional health improved considerably.i havent done drugs,mutilated myself or had any suicidal ideation in the last three or four years.

Member Rookie Poster

These are frightening numbers. I almost became a statistic a few years back. Thank God I failed.