Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Think of the Whitest person you know:

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    Not necessarily so Dino - he looks South Asian which would likely mean he is Hindu and the swastika is a sacred emblem for that religion. As you probably know it was around for thousands of years before it was mis-appropriated by the Nazis after some Europeans became infatuated with the theory that 'Aryans' were responsible for the inventing Sanskrit, writing the Vedas, and generally creating eastern mysticism.

but the slant on the swatsika and outlined color makes one consider it is representing Nazi Germany, not Indian, Hindu, Buddhist or Jain culture. I've seen this pic on other sites too

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    but the slant on the swatsika and outlined color makes one consider it is representing Nazi Germany, not Indian, Hindu, Buddhist or Jain culture. I've seen this pic on other sites too
    You might be right. I hope he leaves that shirt at home if he visits America. Some people might poke a little fun... or worse.

He looks like a clueless fool to me.

Maybe Wayne Grow from Heat wasn't such a bad guy after all. Remember the scene where he kills the young black hooker and the look on her face after she caught a gander at his ink?

"It's OK, darlin'! I'm Asian and this means good luck!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    You might be right. I hope he leaves that shirt at home if he visits America. Some people might poke a little fun... or worse.

One thing I noticed is that countries where English is not a primary language, although India does have many English speakers, nonsensical or offensive language is often featured on tshirts or signs, perhaps just for the design of the English alphabet/words. For example, I saw tshirts in japan that said "Happy Drug Store Time Clock." maybe this guy is really clueless or he is sympathetic or thinks this symbol is close enough to the swastikas in Asian cultures

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

he may also be just another of those smug types who will wear a Che Guevara t-shirt they bought at some pompous over-priced department store and think they're making a statement supporting revolution!

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

[QUOTE=Dino Velvet;893830]Maybe Wayne Grow from Heat wasn't such a bad guy after all. Remember the scene where he kills the young black hooker and the look on her face after she caught a gander at his ink?
    Love the Wayne Grow referrence Dino...Classic

Thumbs up I like this post becasue it tells of hidden truths

remember the movie

imitation of life

http://www.epinions.com/review/Celia...nt_67579842180

IF YOU TAKE AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY

you will find out that

1.)blacks where invisible
    no records kept of family or family tree,family separated.

2.)blacks where nameless with a few exceptions of those who escaped and fought against slavery like FREDERICK DOUGLAS

3.)BLACKS WERE NOT CONSIDERED A PERSON

4.)slave women often father children by slave masters
    and so many african americans are concidered to be MULATTOS
    THEY WERE RAPED AND THE WHITE WIFE WAS POWERLESS ALTHOUGHT THEY HAD ISSUES WITH IT
    YOU CAN NOT RAPE A SLAVE GIRL IF YOU ARE A MASTER.

5.)slaves were considered to be CHATTEL
    like live stock

and so much more disturbing facts

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    The said book and what you quoted is very deep and moving. I thought they had 'black history month' in all schools in the US or is it only certain states? do the schools that feed the ivy league teaches it? So they gloss over what happened and only focus on roots which is pure fiction? what about Native American history, isnt it taught in schools because they went throught genocide and denial of basic human rights

One other question. Isnt there is a popular saying: 'I wont be your whipping boy' or 'i wont be your N word' in other words you treat the blacks like that not us? Ist
    Quote Originally Posted by natina View Post
    slave were called chattel and breed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chattel

THERE IS A BOOK CALLED

CELIA THE SLAVE

IT DESCRIBES LIFE AS A SLAVE BACK THEN

this is why African history should be included in American history and taught in the schools in the USA

McLaurin tells the story of a slave girl named Celia. We only know her as Celia, she has no other name. Robert Newsom, a plantation owner in Callaway, Missouri, purchased her at age 14. Newsom was recently widowed and it seems he purchased Celia with a sexual motive. As he brought her back to the farm, he raped her. From then on, Newsom "visited" Celia often in a cabin he provided for her which was very close to the main household. Over the years, Celia had two children with Newsom, which he considered "his property".

There were four other slaves on the plantation, but they were all men, so it was hard for Celia to confide in anyone. Soon, however, Celia formed a relationship with the slave George. By this time, the girl is 19 years old and is pregnant again. George is aware of what Newsom is doing and gives Celia an ultimatum - either she tell Newsom to leave her alone, or he would leave her.

When Newsom came to her cabin, Celia told him she wouldn't allow him to come anymore. However, Newsom didn't care since HE was HER master. He proceeded to rape her again. However, Celia hit him over the head with a club with intentions to wound him, but it was a fatal blow instead. Thus, the trial of Celia begins.

The rest of the story is history; wonderful history. The author combines a great story with historical facts. This makes the book very interesting. It's not like you're reading a history book, which is just plain facts. This book makes it fun and easy to learn. The information about the trial is factual, but since McLaurin put it in a story-like form, it is very interesting.

This is a great book to read if you are interested in what it was like to be a slave, or even if you need to do some kind of report. The author touches on so many aspects of a slaves' life. Taking place in the 1850's. McLaurin discusses the Dred Scott Case, tensions between bordering states, and regional/national elections. A huge part of this story focuses on the different laws of the time. For example:

-Is a slave 3/5 of a person?
    -Does a slave have rights?
    -Is a slave considered property?
    -Is a slave considered a man or woman?

Celia is assigned lawyers, since a slave isn't allowed to testify in court - Can you believe the ridiculous laws back then? If a slave can't testify, how is he/she supposed to state his/her side of the story?

I don't want to give away all of the details of the trial, but there is one crucial element that I want to discuss a little bit. The issue is discussed of whether Celia is considered a woman. White women had the right to defend themselves against a man who was forcing himself upon her. Celia is a woman, so this law should apply to her as well. After all, she was only defending herself from this man. This discussion was a huge turning point during the trial. The jury and judge had to decide whether or not Celia had this right. It was such a big issue because it would totally change the law around. If she was a woman, she would have this right and it would make slave women more equal with white women. This would, in turn, take away some of the powers of the slave holder. If she did not have this right, things would remain the same and Celia would be hung.

By the end of the book, after much fighting and debating, Celia is pronounced guilty. The story illustrates just how terrible the life of a slave could be. The author put so much into this piece and made it so thorough that you don't just learn about the history while the trial is going on. Instead, he dedicated a couple of chapters to give you some background on the subject and to show the reader what is influencing the judge and jury's decision. (That is the part of the book that gets a little bit boring, because it really isn't in a story format, but just fact after fact on paper). Also, some parts of the book are a little bit hard to understand, this is not an extremely easy reader.

"Celia, A Slave" is a great historical book that is well written and actually fun to read. I really didn't think I would like the book when I first got it, I was actually a little bit hesitant, but it turned out just fine in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkurie View Post
    Since the 1600s many light complexioned African Americans passed into the "white" mainstream and had descendants. By and large those children did not know of their black heritage and grew up considering themselves to be white.

There are many "whites" today with grandparents and great grandparents who were born "black" and assimilated into "white" america. There are of course, many light complexioned african americans who chose not to pass. But the fact remains that "passing for white" was a large phenomenon in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Last edited by natina; 03-09-2011 at 05:59 AM.

One thing I noticed is that countries where English is not a primary language, although India does have many English speakers, nonsensical or offensive language is often featured on tshirts or signs, perhaps just for the design of the English alphabet/words. For example, I saw tshirts in japan that said "Happy Drug Store Time Clock." maybe this guy is really clueless or he is sympathetic or thinks this symbol is close enough to the swastikas in Asian cultures
    Me thinks he went to one of Kelly Shore's Garage Sales and got that shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    he may also be just another of those smug types who will wear a Che Guevara t-shirt they bought at some pompous over-priced department store and think they're making a statement supporting revolution!
    I walked up to a dude in the gym wearing one of those. He had no idea how bad Che was and ended up being pretty embarassed. Given the choice I'll wear the Swastika shirt since it matches my skin tone so well. That Che shirt isn't even worthy to be used as a cum towel.

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    Love the Wayne Grow referrence Dino...Classic
    Thanks. I'm a big fan of the movie Heat. I thought all the characters were outstanding. Wayne Grow was a badass.

Last edited by Dino Velvet; 03-09-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I walked up to a dude in the gym wearing one of those. He had no idea how bad Che was and ended up being pretty embarassed. Given the choice I'll wear the Swastika shirt since it matches my skin tone so well. That Che shirt isn't even worthy to be used as a cum towel.
    I've always found it difficult to detect message-board sarcasm, but please tell me you're not being serious?

No Al Calcio Moderno.