Thread: Rest In Peace

Junior Poster

Default Rest In Peace

Whats with teh Rest In Peace when someone dies? It should be something like Have a Great Time.

Before I die I will make sure that my funneral would be fun, not sad. With fireworks, cotton candy and game boots.

Default Re: Rest In Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Gus The Dagger
    Whats with teh Rest In Peace when someone dies? It should be something like Have a Great Time.

Before I die I will make sure that my funneral would be fun, not sad. With fireworks, cotton candy and game boots.
    William Claude Duncanfield, most known to the world as W.C. Fields, must have had a similar feeling. He insisted that his tombstone read "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia".

Just remember, the anagram of funeral is "real fun".

Hell, they shot Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

I've decided that my tombstone is going to read, "If you were dead, you'd be home by now."

Quote Originally Posted by Skillet
    I've decided that my tombstone is going to read, "If you were dead, you'd be home by now."
    *Snark!*

Having spent far too much time in cemeteries this past year, I always wonder if there's a stone out there that sez something to the effect of "Hey, buddy! Yer standing on my face!".

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

Heh, thought some of these were pretty good. http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...epitaphs.html#

Professional Poster Castor_Troy05's Avatar

I'll just copy good old Blackadder, and have Here Lies and he's bloody annoyed.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus The Dagger

William Claude Duncanfield, most known to the world as W.C. Fields, must have had a similar feeling. He insisted that his tombstone read "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia".

Just remember, the anagram of funeral is "real fun".

Hell, they shot Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon.
    I read once where Fields was seen reading a bible on his death bed. When asked by a friend what he was searching for, Fields replied, "Oh, nothing ... nothing, just looking for any loopholes ..."

LOL! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Realgirls4me
    I read once where Fields was seen reading a bible on his death bed. When asked by a friend what he was searching for, Fields replied, "Oh, nothing ... nothing, just looking for any loopholes ..."

LOL! :P
    Fields was a trip. He had the entryway to his mansion bugged so that he could listen in as guests approached the front door. You know, those last minute convos like "Do we =really= have to stay long? You know what a sot he is!". If he disapproved, he'd switch on a speaker and tell the would-be guests to get off his property or he'd set dogs on 'em.

Definitely not one to rest in peace, or to let his friends do so, either. When John Barrymore died Fields and a couple of other drinking buddies had a private viewing at the funeral home. Deciding that Barrymore didn't look quite right in the casket they hauled him out, sat him up in a chair, and put a drink in his hand so they could have a farewell toast.

In Annie Hall, the Woody Allen character Alvy Singer says:

"There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life - full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly."

Just because you don't know about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist: http://www.hungangels.com/board/view...=asc&start=158