Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Church

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Default Re: Church

Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75 View Post
    Church is for people who think they can telepathically communicate with deities by praying.

For catholics, church is also a place for people to practice symbolic cannibalism, eating Jesus's flesh and blood. Yum!

Church is also a place to give money, and its generally true, deities tend to be terrible with finances and they need your help!
    Or....................church could be a place for reflection. In many urban communities a church is an oasis .They feed and cloth the poor, provide shelter and guidence and a safe place for kids, and most times don't care if you're a believer or not, and don't care what color your skin is. Like anything else it's what you make it. I've said before I'm agnostic but I don't get you atheists. If a person or a family want to spend an hour in a house of worship, and pray to a super natural being, I understand you can't grasp the concept....really I do, but what sweat is it off your nuts? Why make statements like you did above? Fuck it...live and let live man....and drop some coin in the poor box the next time you pass a church...there's lots of needy folks out there. LOL

It's estimated that more than 70 % of Americans believe in some form of faith or religion...even if it's a tree, but here on HA it's like 10%. What the fucks up with dat >??????? What are you all worshipping ??? LMAO

Last edited by onmyknees; 02-18-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive, and neither are agnostic and Christian, so are you or are you not? I'd more rather give to a secular cause that goes directly to helping the poor but I don't lose sleep knowing many people go to church, some might really enjoy it, but the only question I care about is, can anyone adduce evidence on behalf of Christianity's realness? I don't believe but so long as no one is trying to make it law in any way I do not care....but I will not be psuedo-guilt tripped into being a crypto-skeptic either.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive, and neither are agnostic and Christian, so are you or are you not? I'd more rather give to a secular cause that goes directly to helping the poor but I don't lose sleep knowing many people go to church, some might really enjoy it, but the only question I care about is, can anyone adduce evidence on behalf of Christianity's realness? I don't believe but so long as no one is trying to make it law in any way I do not care....but I will not be psuedo-guilt tripped into being a crypto-skeptic either.
    You made my point precisely. Have you ever been to an inner city church? Again...what's your beef? In one sentence you say you don't care...in the next you want proof. I think you do care....despite your contentions to the contrary. I'm not here to defend religion, and those who choose to worship....I'm just sayin people like you protest too much. It's curious. Re-read my post again, and don't make snap judgements. You believe what ever you wanna believe, and let others do the same. Seems to me, they don't have to prove a fucking thing to you. Either you believe....or you don't. You obviously don't, so don't be pissed off when they pass you on the escalator on the way up to see St. Peter !!!! LMAO. And relax dude....you sound fucking angry about the whole thing.

Rookie Poster

I like to see the word god as a metaphor for a creation force, a physicist might call that energy... It is one the most fundamental laws of physics that energy can not be destroyed, only converted into another form. I don't however believe what man say about god, or organized religion. That I believe has historically been mostly about control. What is written in old books has to be viewed in the context of the time in which is was written.. And should not, to the letter, influence human understanding of the world today, then it becomes a hindrance for progress. If a person is able to see the metaphors, than religion can be a "healthy" way to cope were scientific method gives no answers. If I would go to a church though, it would strictly be to admire gothic architecture or artwork.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fagina View Post
    If I would go to a church though, it would strictly be to admire gothic architecture or artwork.

Oh lucky church! You came to "admire architecture". That's really condescending.

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

Senior Member Veteran Poster

You made my point precisely. Have you ever been to an inner city church? Again...what's your beef? In one sentence you say you don't care...in the next you want proof.

-------------------------------

The beef is religion.

The bible is based on bronze-age morals.

These moronic beliefs affect us all.

Gay marriage? The bible says no, and many religious people will cite the bible as a scripture to live life. Nice, life by shit-hole, middle-eastern, 1st century morals.

Euthanasia? Life is too precious, ask Terry Shaivo, or anyone who'd prefer to be dead than kept alive on indefinably on machines.

Go to your church, and give them your money, and support bronze-age ethics.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Well apparently, there must be some copyright problem with the spoken monologue:

Bull Durham
    written by Ron Shelton

Annie: I believe in the church of baseball. I've tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there's 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there's 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. (she sighs) But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. Y'see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring. (she giggles) Which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball. You just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250. Not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. Y'see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I get a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickenson or Walt Whitman to him. And the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. Of course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe -- and pretty. 'Course what I give them lasts a lifetime. What they give me lasts a 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball. Who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for god's sake! It's a long season, and you gotta trust it. I've tried them all, I really have. And, the only church that feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the church of baseball.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dc_guy_75 View Post
    You made my point precisely. Have you ever been to an inner city church? Again...what's your beef? In one sentence you say you don't care...in the next you want proof.

-------------------------------

The beef is religion.

The bible is based on bronze-age morals.

These moronic beliefs affect us all.

Gay marriage? The bible says no, and many religious people will cite the bible as a scripture to live life. Nice, life by shit-hole, middle-eastern, 1st century morals.

Euthanasia? Life is too precious, ask Terry Shaivo, or anyone who'd prefer to be dead than kept alive on indefinably on machines.

Go to your church, and give them your money, and support bronze-age ethics.
    Bronze is a great alloy, really it is! In fact, we still use bronze age metal to this day! So much for progress.

"Unless there has been an advancement in technology, sucking a strap-on just isn't the same" -Phobun
    I shit you not! http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=909175&highlight=advancement#post 909175

"I'm from the streets" -hippifried

LOL

You're a faggot! Thanks in advance!- PomonaCA

...stir it up and pass it around.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PomonaCA View Post
    Bronze is a great alloy, really it is! In fact, we still use bronze age metal to this day! So much for progress.
    Yup, progress ended when bronze was invented. Some people's ethics stopped evolving around that time too.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?