Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Poster

MoonAndStar wrote:
    na we got a good chance.... on paper we are one of the best teams in the cup
    Pity that football isn't played on paper.

To me, England's biggest problem, aside from the lack of players who are comfortable passing and shooting with either foot, is Sven Goran Eriksson. Against Brazil in 2002, England should have done better but despite scoring first and playing against ten men for much of the game they died with a whimper against a strong Brazil team.

Four years on, Brazil are stronger. Argentina and France are less likely to self destruct. Germany are playing at home. Holland, who are eternally lacking the belief and unity neccessary to make the final step to triumph, are looking strong.

England should get through an easy group. Considering that there is one group which includes both Argentina and the Netherlands and one with both Italy and the Czech Republic, that Mexico and Portugal are will have to play against each other and so will Spain and Ukraine, England have it easy. They are clear favourites to win their group.

But after that, I'm not sure if the stellar talents of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Beckham will be enough, even with able support from Ferdinand (or Campbell), Owen, Ashley Cole and Gary Neville. On paper the first XI is as good as any other nation's (bar Brazil's) and the remaining squad is decent enough to plug any gaps (though England desperately need Rooney to be fit to have any chance). But is it enough? I'm not convinced.

My money's on Brazil, but I expect Holland to do well. Germany will probably overachieve once again, despite most of their players not being worth tuppence (a few honourable exceptions are Ballack and Lahm and some of the youngsters like Podolsky and Schweinsteiger).

As for upsets- I think Iran, despite being in a tough group, might surprise a few people if they can get through. Korea could do well once again and maybe Croatia.

And as for the US, they're in a very tough group. I doubt they can get through, but who knows.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Joanna Jet Veteran Poster joannajet's Avatar

Default Thank You

Hi iagodelgado,

Thank you for your posts, they brought me a great big smile.

I would gladly get my kit off for the England squad, but I think they would all run in the wrong direction for fear of being photographed with me by the Paperazzi!!

Kisses,

Joanna Jet
    xxx